Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #1

Just Took Delivery of New Greyhawk 26Y! And now the work begins

Picked up our 2018 Greyhawk 26Y last week. Nice coach. Took delivery in KY and drove it home to ABQ. One night in TN, one in AR, and one in OK. We have had fifth wheels and a Lance truck camper. This is our first motorhome.

Overall we are pretty happy with the purchase. As with all new purchases anymore (unfortunately) I spent the last few days working out some bugs.

1. The water pump was incredibly loud. The loudest one I have heard. I spent a day re-plumbing the small compartment that houses the pump. The pex pipes were touching the metal compartment almost everywhere. When we would use it, it would literally sound like a thunderstorm as it re-built pressure. I shortened some pex lengths and added flexible lines to intake and output side of pump. Also added foam pipe insulation where pipes might touch each other or the box.
2. The pump would lose it's prime over time, anything more than 30 minutes. This indicated some type of air leak on the suction side. I pressurized the intake side with compressor and immediately found a leak in the manifold behind the panel where the fill dials are located. Needed to disassemble, add teflon tape and retighten. I wish it went that fast! Anyway, problem solved.
3. Adjusted the Hellwig helper springs based on articles on this forum. It was quite easy since it is a new unit. The gap on mine was 4.5 inches on the front of both and 4 inches on the back of each. I went to 2.75 inches on rear sides and 3 inches on front sides. I noticed prior to adjusting that 2 of the U bolts where installed at angles across the leaf spring. I loosened them and squared them up to the leaf springs. Pretty shoddy install. Have not driven it since the adjustment.
4. The Dream Dinette would catch on the rear most cup holder and the rear bench, popping the cup holder out when pushing dinette down. Thought about moving the entire dinette 1/4 inch forward so it would be centered. Decided to trim the plastic cup holder instead. Dinette now goes down without catching on anything.
5. I asked dealer about manual slide override. They said "You can't do it. Call someone if they get stuck!" Wow, that can't be right. Did some research and found the bedroom slide control box under the bed and found override procedure.
Found the dinette slide motor in the left side cargo bin and the brake release. I still have not found the slide control box where you are supposed to disconnect a wire or 2. If anyone knows where it is I'd love to hear from you.
6. The entry door was extremely hard to open. Adjusted latch. Added a bar to the screen door also.

A little disappointing to have to do the work but I expected it. Not my first rodeo. I also don't mind doing work myself and learning about the unit.

Next on the list are insect screens and roof vent covers.

After that will be adding solar panel (or 2), charge control, meter and a decent battery. That may mean modifying the battery box. I don't like the limited battery power in the Greyhawk. We are used to boon docking not plugging in.

All in all pretty happy and looking forward to a different style of camping.
XrayTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Greyhawk. You certainly are handy with repairs which will certainly make things easier for you.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #3

Welcome to Greyhawk land...it's very inspiring to say the least.

Seems like your getting to know your new Jayco. I also like to do my own adjustments / repairs just to be sure it's done correctly.

Luckily ours has been solid so far...had to adjust the door latch is about it.

Check your water heater bypass valves...mine were not turned correctly and we had very little hot water first try. I fixed that one fast as the boss was not too happy!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:02 PM   #4

Thanks for your info on your new rig. We picked up our 2018 Greyhawk 26Y in January. Love it so far, but did some projects:
1) Replaced the foam foldup mattress with a innerspring foldup mattress 3 innches narrower for clearance and 2 inches longer. That mattress was shorter than a short queen.
2)Installed a spare tire. Found a wheel on line and had a new tire mounted. Then mounted it underneath and secured with a 2x2 inch angle iron. Tire slips up and over the hitch. Tight but it fits.
3) Added 2 extra shelves in the bath cabinet an one in the pantry cabinet.
4) Added a 5x5 vinyl sinyl sewer housing on top of the existing bumper storage. The sewer hose with attached fittings now fits in the new tube and frees up more space. Got the vinyl 5x5 post from Home Depotwith two end caps.
Added some clear plastic window shade pulls so not to get blide dirty.
5) Added carpeted floor mats to driver and pax sides. Buy online as one fitted piece covering area in front of center console.

We have had zero problems so far and now figuring out how to add slide toppers. Bedroom looks straight forward, but LR doesn't seem to have clearance at the top.
Have fun with your new rig. Love ours

Paul
Schrimscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #5

Schrimsher,
Could you provide a photo of your spare tire mount? Also what which system did you use? We just took possession of a 2019 Greyhawk 29MV. There is room to mount a spare under the rear (I believe), and looking for ways to mount a winch.

Thanks
Joe
Hoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoski View Post
Schrimsher,
Could you provide a photo of your spare tire mount? Also what which system did you use? We just took possession of a 2019 Greyhawk 29MV. There is room to mount a spare under the rear (I believe), and looking for ways to mount a winch.

Thanks
Joe

I just installed one my self I used the Retract-A -Spare mount
actually only used 1/2 of it.
it fit right on top of the frame rails.
a couple of small welds to hold it in place and all was good

https://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/m...e%20Manual.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
20190204_165215.jpg   20190204_165613.jpg   20190204_165634.jpg  
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote