Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2019, 10:42 PM   #1

Sumo Springs for Rear Redhawk 26XD??

Our Redhawk E450 rides extremely harsh on the rear axle. Light load or regular load makes no difference. Have tried various tire pressures and tighter/looser adjustments to the Helwig springs without any success. Even regular highway expansion joints cause severe shock/jarring. We travel light so I am confident we are not overloaded. Otherwise it handles very well since alignment and installation of Helwig front and rear sway bars.

Looking at the leaf spring packs, they look flat with no detectable arch. I am thinking of removing the Helwig helper springs and installing the 5200 pound Sumo springs. My thinking is that they will absorb and dissipate some of the shock loading from the suspension.

Is anyone using the Sumo springs and if so, what is you actual experience with them?

My next thought would be airbags, but I kind of like the idea of not having to keep up with air pressure in the Sumos.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:21 AM   #2

Air bags aren’t going to help you with rear stiffness. Plus they require maintenance. I’ve had the on 2 rigs prior and they suck compared to the Hellwigs IMHO.

The rear on these rigs ride hard. I’ve jus gotten used to it - and I’ve got the Bilstein shocks that your Redhawk doesn’t.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #3

When we first purchased our Melbourne, it rocked a lot and didn't seem very stable. Even passing trucks pushed us. Per another member's recommendation, after the first year we installed Sumo Springs and changed out the stabilizer bar for stouter Hellwig. The difference in ride was very noticeably better. Installation of both products was easy, and it was a cheap fix. Don't know which made the biggest difference, because we installed them at the same time. Don't get me wrong, this thing doesn't drive like a car; but we've gotten used to the class C feel and know its limitations, especially when it comes to traveling in wind (when we need to slow down and when we need to be off the road altogether)!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. Our rig is in warranty repair jail now. I plan to try something, probably the Sumo springs, before our next trip over the fine roads of the northeast this summer. I will report the results.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #5

X2 on Sumo springs and Hellwig stabilizer bar. I don't recall the number but sumo springs had 2 choices I installed the heavier more rigid option . on Melbourne 24L . Install was pretty straight fwd quite simple Very happy with results good luck in North East trip.
bradpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:49 AM   #6

Sumospring recommends the -47 spring or the black spring for the class C the yellow springs -54 are recommended for class A

I just bought some should have them this week, if the weather cooperates ill have them installed sooner than later. Althought we just got 4" of slush last night so i wont be climbing under the rig today
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #7

Thank you for that info. I looked for application info but didn't find it.

I hope you will share the results with us.