Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2022, 03:38 PM   #1

Large class c

I am looking at something like a 31f greyhawk. It has a 223 inch wheel base and is 33 foot long,. A friend of mine who sells buses for a living has stated that a camper of this size on a 450 chassis will be a nightmare to.manuever due to wheel base and extension over back axle. I plan to test drive one soon. He recommends a super c or class A that is built on a larger chassis, which is more than i want to spend
Your Experience please.
bheisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:46 PM   #2

We had a 2001 that 32' long and I never had any issues. Granted the E-450 chassis does not have as great a turning radius as a pick-up, but you get used to it. Put 50,000 miles on it while pulling a toad, including the Canadian Rockies.
Old 10-12-2022, 05:13 PM   #3

I have the 2021 Redhawk 31F with the same floorplan and wheelbase and it handles really well. We have 10K miles on it so far.

I didn't find it overly difficult to maneuver. It's definitely better than pulling a trailer. When pulling into gas stations, you want to give yourself some room from the pumps and you will always need to get the pump in the front. The hose from the pump won't reach the filler if trying to pump from the rear pump and a car in the front pump.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:04 PM   #4

I have a 2018 Greyhawk 31 FS (32 ft.bumper to bumper) and have no problems maneuvering it even in small towns we visit…..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:05 PM   #5

I just test drove a 2023 31F, and was surprised at how sharply it turned for a large vehicle. I drove it into a church parking lot, slight uphill with a 180 to enter the lot. I made the turn very easy.

I have a Ford super duty with crew cab. It's physically smaller, but the turning radius isn't that much smaller. My Jeep TJ has a very small turning radius.
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote