Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #1

Lithium vs. Trojan 6v Golf Cart Batteries

Now that I'm almost done with my RV refurbishing after making the purchase of my 2007 Jayco Melbourne 29D I have been toying with the idea of making the leap into Lithium batteries but due to the cost I was thinking about doing the 6v Golf Cart Batteries wired in a series.

I like the Nexgen Lithium batteries because they have all of the controllers built into the battery so it can be charged without changing out my whole system, aka "drop in replacement."

Does anyone have experience with Lithium Batteries vs the Trojan 6v Golf Cart batteries they can share?

Does anyone know how to find out if the charger in my coach is a 4 stage? I have an image or two attached.

I don't want to spend the money if I get get good performance out of the golf cart batteries but we plan to dry camp quite a bit and use a small solar system to help top off batteries while we explore during the day.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 8.26.46 PM.png   Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 8.26.38 PM.png  
Old 02-25-2018, 09:50 PM   #2

I considered going to Li batteries but they are still 2.5x what I paid for the AGM's.

If you are installing a large system then the costs isn't such a large part of the total bill. With my setup I'm fully charged by noon in the US SW. I run the TV, lights, microwave and sometimes the furnace in the evening.

What do you consider a small solar system?
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #3

I see your inverter and your transfer switch but not your converter. Your converter will determine your battery charging capabilities. It may be incorporated into your load center (fuses and breakers) or it could be a separate component. If you find it and provide more information we may be able to tell you a bit about it.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I see your inverter and your transfer switch but not your converter. Your converter will determine your battery charging capabilities. It may be incorporated into your load center (fuses and breakers) or it could be a separate component. If you find it and provide more information we may be able to tell you a bit about it.
I found a pic of my IOTA converter... DLS-45
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 9.00.19 PM.jpg  
Old 02-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
I found a pic of my IOTA converter... DLS-45
That model could optionally have a module that makes it a 4-stage controller. Now your challenge will be determining whether it has the IQ Smart Charge Controller.

Check the link here to find out more about your converter and the charge controller: https://www.iotaengineering.com/dls45.htm
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #6

The most preferred converter/chargers on the market are made by Progressive Dynamics.
We have had the same model in all 3 motorhomes over 15 years and never a problem. We also added the remote pendant for monitoring and to override charging stages if needed.
Our motorhome has 50 amp service requiring the PD9280;
Attached Thumbnails
PdConvertor.jpg   PdRemotePendant.jpg  
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:29 PM   #7

I do not have experience Lithium vs. Trojan 6v Golf Cart Batteries. However, I have 1,5 years experience with 400 Ah lithium batteries. Very expensive mod, but this is what I wanted to achieve - no generator, while almost 100% boondocking. It works well, but again, the cost is mind blowing.

Additionally, for me the weight / gases mattered - I moved the batteries to inside the trailer.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I do not have experience Lithium vs. Trojan 6v Golf Cart Batteries. However, I have 1,5 years experience with 400 Ah lithium batteries. Very expensive mod, but this is what I wanted to achieve - no generator, while almost 100% boondocking. It works well, but again, the cost is mind blowing.

Additionally, for me the weight / gases mattered - I moved the batteries to inside the trailer.
That's a lot of Li, equal to 8x 6v L/A batteries
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #9

High maintenance family

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
That's a lot of Li, equal to 8x 6v L/A batteries
bono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, golf cart batteries, lithium