Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #1

Living Room Slide Crooked

We have 2015 Jayco 29MV Class C. Last night when I went to put the Driver side front slide out it crooked. The back half moves put the from half does not. Pretty sure it is a Power Gear set up as the rails are under the slide and disappears under the slide out. After some research, I believe a bolt may have sheared off on the mechanism that connects the motor to the forward drive gear. Does anyone know or better yet, have a picture on where to access the system? Is it under the sofa floor or under the coach? I did not see a access point under the coach.
lumpymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpymike View Post
We have 2015 Jayco 29MV Class C. Last night when I went to put the Driver side front slide out it crooked. The back half moves put the from half does not. Pretty sure it is a Power Gear set up as the rails are under the slide and disappears under the slide out. After some research, I believe a bolt may have sheared off on the mechanism that connects the motor to the forward drive gear. Does anyone know or better yet, have a picture on where to access the system? Is it under the sofa floor or under the coach? I did not see a access point under the coach.
I’ve had this problem, though I have a ‘15 31FS and it happened to my bunkhouse slide. The shear pin broke as it was designed to do. The dealer first said the slide would have to be removed. It was actually accessed from the inside in this case by removing the lower slide carpeted trim piece, however there is an access on the topside of the storage bin directly under the slide on my GH. If you have a storage bin under your slide area maybe check there, otherwise it may be inside through the outside trim piece on your slide out. Either way it’s a real pain! Hope this helps!
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Is it a Swintek? From the experience in our shop as a owner of RV's lubricate your slide components like rubber seals, under by the chassis keep things clean and use the proper lubrication. Remember the electric motors can handle hardly new conditions, dealing with dirt make things worse special when temps drop.

For example a 5 slide hydraulic system in temps below - 18 C (around -0 F). On a new unit I couldn't get all the slides open with out the motor breaker constant resetting itself. So brought the slides in who where out (3 off them) and by the last slide the motor was fried.
No matter what Artic package they install, RV's are not built for winter conditions.

I remodeled my RV for winter conditions but it is still not ideal. Besides a lot of insulation, heat-pads and heat-tape, insulated skirting expect to change 30 lb. propane bottles every couple of days in - 18 C (- 0 F). RV's are made for extend season camping not Alaska conditions.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #4

I do not believe it is a Swintek? There are 2 rails attached to the underside of the slide out which have teeth that the gears mesh with. I did not see an access point under the coach so I am guessing the mechanism might be under the sofa floor? The side not moving I am able to push and move so nothing is jammed. Somehow the front rail is not being engaged while the motor turns the back rail causing it to cant. Just looking to find out where the mechanisms are located.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
a bolt from the connection rod (between the two tracks) might be seared off. This happen often when slides go very stiff.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #6

My thoughts as well. Just need to find where to access them. I have a call into the dealer.
Thank you
Old 11-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Site Team

My fifth wheel has sheared pins and still does from time to time. It's not a great problem once the first time it happens. Not knowing how to access it is the difficult part.

We have been able to salvage a trip by gently pushing or pulling the side that is not moving in order to help the sheared side, until I could repair it. Once you can see it, it is clear what has to be done to repair it.

Good luck with finding the access location.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #8

Follow Up

Quote:
I finally located the Motor. On My 2015 29MV there is a access panel in the storage compartment located directly in front of the Driver Side rear tires. The bolt had indeed sheared off. Replaced the bolt and now the slide works perfectly.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #9

Quote:
I finally located the Motor. On My 2015 29MV there is a access panel in the storage compartment located directly in front of the Driver Side rear tires. The bolt had indeed sheared off. Replaced the bolt and now the slide works perfectly.
Awesome glad you were able to find it and fix. THanks for sharing. Will keep an eye out on mine now as well.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #10
Site Team

The first time is the worst. Now you know how to recognize and repair it. Just keep a few of the bolts/ nuts on had and you will have much peace of mind about what to do next time. Consider posting a few pics if you thought to take any.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedown St. View Post
I’ve had this problem, though I have a ‘15 31FS and it happened to my bunkhouse slide. The shear pin broke as it was designed to do. The dealer first said the slide would have to be removed. It was actually accessed from the inside in this case by removing the lower slide carpeted trim piece, however there is an access on the topside of the storage bin directly under the slide on my GH. If you have a storage bin under your slide area maybe check there, otherwise it may be inside through the outside trim piece on your slide out. Either way it’s a real pain! Hope this helps!
my bunkhouse slide on my 16 31fs doesn't retract evenly/fully leaving a fingers width gap in the top front corner between sidewall and gasket, all other 3 corners pull in tight (especially the bottom corners) had a mobile repair guy come look but he's not familiar with power gear slides so he was gonna talk to someone and get back to me.
so you can pull that carpeted trim piece off inside some how? or there's a hatch in the bin? I think it might be the drive mount is not completely tight because the gap sometimes will get close to sealing.
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #12

My 2018 Greyhawk 29 MV passenger side slide has the same issue as yours av8or, after three trips to dealer and on Jayco's solution was to use a stabilizing rod on that side to manually tighten that corner. This will work however the other two sides work the way they are suppose to.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #13

My brand new Entegra Odyssey, same as a 31fs, has a crooked living room slide. I took off the side carpeting next to the kitchen counter area. There was an unopened bottle of Dogfish Head 90 min IPA beer in there. Was not mine and I didn't see anyway it could have got inside there other than during initial assembly. If they were drinking during my build that could explain the numerous oversights and quality control issues I've had to fix......I put it in the fridge and drank it as soon as it got cold enough.
rndsommer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyman97 View Post
My 2018 Greyhawk 29 MV passenger side slide has the same issue as yours av8or, after three trips to dealer and on Jayco's solution was to use a stabilizing rod on that side to manually tighten that corner. This will work however the other two sides work the way they are suppose to.

maybe its the lack of caffeine today but i'm not grasping how that works?
av8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #15

Quote:
I do not believe it is a Swintek? There are 2 rails attached to the underside of the slide out which have teeth that the gears mesh with. I did not see an access point under the coach so I am guessing the mechanism might be under the sofa floor? The side not moving I am able to push and move so nothing is jammed. Somehow the front rail is not being engaged while the motor turns the back rail causing it to cant. Just looking to find out where the mechanisms are located.
I also have the 29 MV the access panel is in the bin between the 2 slide rails look on the top inside of the bin. remove the screws and the cover and you can access the motor. Good Luck.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #16

Lumpy....I own the same model. No probs yet w/ slides. That access area in the compartment would be just ahead of the bath. Do you know if there is a similar access for the other end of the slide out right behind the driver's seat? Or does one motor with the bolt control both sides, with a driveshaft connecting the gears?
Dave T WA State is offline   Reply With Quote