Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #1

Locking Fuel Door

In all my vehicles, they all come with a locking fuel door, or if they didn't I added an aftermarket locking fuel door. On my Excursion and F350, I added a locking fuel door and keyed them to use the same key.

I can't seem to find any locking fuel doors specially designed for RVs. I only find locking gas caps. I did find this which is close, but I'm not looking to drill new holes.

Has anyone done this modification? It appears in the link that someone has put it on an RV or something.

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/uni...-body-trailer/
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:07 AM   #2

Only installed a locking Gas cap on our 2017 29MV, and Dealer told me that there is some small restrictor in long pipe down to tank, he states " you can't siphon gas from hose anymore". I still bought Locking gas cap. .

Ted.
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:44 AM   #3

I've left enough gas caps on the pumps over the years, the only mod I made was a tether.

I too have heard that there are restrictions that really prevent siphoning. But I wondered if Jayco (or Morryde) was using those or just opting for something cheaper?
Old 06-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I've left enough gas caps on the pumps over the years, the only mod I made was a tether.

I too have heard that there are restrictions that really prevent siphoning. But I wondered if Jayco (or Morryde) was using those or just opting for something cheaper?
I did get a locking gas cap from Napa. It supposedly is the same as the Stant brand. I still would like to have the locking fuel door so I could use my OEM cap that was tethered to the coach. The locking cap doesn't have the gap for the ring that the tether wraps around.
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
I did get a locking gas cap from Napa. It supposedly is the same as the Stant brand. I still would like to have the locking fuel door so I could use my OEM cap that was tethered to the coach. The locking cap doesn't have the gap for the ring that the tether wraps around.
I used a locking fuel cap on my truck when I lived at my old place and parked on the street. I believe mine had a tether.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-FC...motive&sr=1-41

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
The locking cap doesn't have the gap for the ring that the tether wraps around.

Mine either - made my own tether.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgroves526 View Post
Only installed a locking Gas cap on our 2017 29MV, and Dealer told me that there is some small restrictor in long pipe down to tank, he states " you can't siphon gas from hose anymore". I still bought Locking gas cap. .

Ted.

During the Texas global vortex winter storm earlier this year, I tried for a long time (couple of hours) to syphon some fuel from mine to use in my portable generator, without success. I started with just a used section of water hose and subsequently smaller hoses all the way down to aquarium sized hose and probed and pushed and twisted and never could get any fuel out of it (and I had over 6' of hose to try with).

I also have a locking gas cap that I purchased although I am not using it now but, I will use it (maybe) when traveling just to prevent someone from trying to steal gas or adding sugar to the tank, not that I have any enemies (least not that I know about). ~CA