Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2022, 05:05 PM   #41

For 20 years we always had mice in the winter. I set traps and always got 4 to 5 mice a year and that was it
Old 03-06-2022, 08:14 PM   #42

I have tried to cover all the holes and gaps. Some many and some are in complicated hard to reach places.

I have gone to trapping the mice. Found an electronic wifi mouse trap. Works great. Have caught 3 mice this season.

The mouse trap is wifi enabled. I have connected it to my mobile hotspot in my 5th wheel. When a mouse is caught, it sends a text to my cell phone.

When I get the notification. Go out to the shop, pull out the dead mouse, and rebait the trap.

Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Mouse 1.jpg  
RDTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 12:47 PM   #43

I added bait stations to my camper by the wheels and tongue jack. The are T shaped 1.5 inch white pipe with a t connection and cap. the baits are in the vertical capped portion and fall down a piece of coat hanger as consumed. I copied a commercial model that is dog/cat/critter resistant and holds multiple bait blocks. See Eaton JT 902R.

They eat outside and then die out there to, never bait inside or they will die in the wall and you will smell them for ever.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:40 AM   #44

I have had good luck with bobcat pee on felt tabs hanging from the bottom of the chassis and in the engine compartment. You have to presoak the fact tabs every 6 weeks or so. Until I discovered bobcat pee, I had mice chewing up my wiring under the RV and in the engine compartment. After bobcat pee, no more chewing. Worth a try. Purchase here: https://www.predatorpeestore.com/bobcat-urine.html

2013 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
2002 Honda Accord towed, ACME tow dolly
Northwest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:46 AM   #45

We had them and rats get into our toyhauler
They ate the cornhole bags then got thirsty
And ate through the low points on the water lines
Wife researched it and found out about Irish spring
Soap and citronella being a god repellent
So we opened a few packs of Irish spring and took
The lids off a couple cans of citronella and placed
Them in the storage area, under the sink And various
Other places I think 3 or 4 of each. Plus it smells good
No issues since that was 2 years ago
Nothing like getting all set up at campsite
Opening that that first beer just to witness
The waterfalls pouring out of your rv.
All our best central Florida
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 04:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Bob View Post
I have had good luck with bobcat pee on felt tabs hanging from the bottom of the chassis and in the engine compartment. You have to presoak the fact tabs every 6 weeks or so. Until I discovered bobcat pee, I had mice chewing up my wiring under the RV and in the engine compartment. After bobcat pee, no more chewing. Worth a try. Purchase here: https://www.predatorpeestore.com/bobcat-urine.html
This what I do, tried it a few years ago and seems to work well. My sent tags hang on the 5th wheel year round. I normally do not spray them in the summer when to unit is in use just for storage.
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:14 AM   #47

Mic e

PEPPERMINT OIL. It works. Direct oil on cotton balls. They hate it! I also foamed all holes in frame and underneath, The only holes are one side for slide retraction and I spray it heavily with oil and water mixture for storage. I keep a few cotton balls in place in basement.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:40 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I use the stainless steel wool because it's cheap and it can't rust, I can't imagine what copper costs today. By me they are paying 99 cents for cans, I can only imagine what copper is going for, I just looked 4.00 dollars a pound for scrap
It's also fair to point out that copper and bronze are softer than their teeth, so, if they persist, they will quickly learn that they can shred the copper/bronze wool or scrubbing pads. Stainless steel is harder than their teeth, and it doesn't rust...as you said.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:45 AM   #49

Repellants and barriers are an ongoing battle. Mixing it up helps...peppermint oil AND other repellants....and changing now and again. Regular inspection of barriers is essential. Storing foods in impenetrable containers helps a lot. The last part of rodent control is persistent vigilance. This is NOT a once and done situation.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:39 AM   #50

SS wool is the ONLY solution. I have always thought to buy stock in the companies that sell the snake oil stuff.

Fill the holes and no mice. Put out dryer sheets along side cotton balls with peppermint oil. If you left the hole, next time you look you'll see mice nests made out of chewed up dryer sheets and cotton balls, filled with baby meeces.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote