Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2022, 10:10 AM   #1

Microwave Bracket Fallen (2020 Greyhawk 27U)

The bracket holding the bottom of the microwave is loose and has partially fallen out. This causes the microwave to be loose. It appears that there may be screws/bolts holding the microwave to the top of the cabinet. I was hoping to find a false bottom in the cabinet above the microwave making it easy access and remove the microwave. That would make the repair fairly simple. However, if that is a false bottom, it seems to be fastened down with no easy way to remove it.

Need advice as to the proper procedure for me to remove the microwave and make this repair?

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Wstevenson94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:25 AM   #2

It is probably stapled in place and it can be removed, but you need to do so carefully. Wood putty can be used to cover up any areas where the staples pull through. Been there, done that.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:10 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I don't think I can get it up without destroying it. :-) Looks like I might just have to make another bottom. :-)
Old 04-07-2022, 08:50 AM   #4

Before deconstructing you may want to email Jayco and see if they could tell you. From pics there doesn't appear any space to lift up, so if there was a bracket behind you can't unlock it. There's no screws from the cabinet on the side of it, right? If you had a snake camera you could put it in the hole from the cabinet above where the power plug comes through (guessing the micro plug comes up and plugs into an outlet in the cabinet above).

From pics it looks like there is a metal cover between the cabinet and the microwave. Perhaps there are some little screws there to remove it and see what it connecting the microwave?
Attached Thumbnails
micro.jpg  
Old 04-09-2022, 06:44 AM   #5

Thank you. I have sent pictures to Jayco and waiting on their reply. Hopefully they will reply before we travel again in 2 weeks. :-)
Old 04-09-2022, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wstevenson94 View Post
Thank you. I have sent pictures to Jayco and waiting on their reply. Hopefully they will reply before we travel again in 2 weeks. :-)
Just a thought, you may be able to lookup the installation instructions for the microwave by going to the microwave mfg's website. Those instructions may be helpful as I suspect Jayco would install the microwave in a manner that the mfg recommended. ~CA
Old 04-09-2022, 07:57 AM   #7

Thank you! I will take a look at that.
Old 04-09-2022, 01:47 PM   #8

While the bracket hasn't fallen on ours, it has come loose. We have a residential microwave. If you do too, odds are very high that there are two bolts that pull the microwave up and tight against the upper cabinet.

Residential microwaves have their botto m hook onto the bracket and then tilt up into place for installation. Only two bolts are used. At least that's what the last four microwaves did that I installed.

I couldn't figure out a non-destructive way to pull that shelf bottom out either. If it's stapled, I don't see the staples. It looks like it's glued on mine -- insane. What I did was download the installation manual, and pull the template out if it. With that, I found the location of the two top bolts, drilled some 1" holes with a holesaw. And had access to remove the bolts and lower the microwave off the bracket.

If it happens again, I'll just take a hammer and saw to the false bottom and remove it. Then replace it with my own sheet of 1/4" ply.
Old 04-09-2022, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Just a thought, you may be able to lookup the installation instructions for the microwave by going to the microwave mfg's website. Those instructions may be helpful as I suspect Jayco would install the microwave in a manner that the mfg recommended. ~CA

Bingo. That's exactly what I did for our Frigidare 'wave in the RV.

The bracket is crapily screwed into the wall of the RV. There's really nothing there for it to bite into and hold. Why they didn't bother to put in a backer board, like every house on the planet does, is beyond me.

I guess they saved $0.32 and deemed a falling microwave OK.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:46 PM   #10

Thank you! That information is very helpful. I will give it a try.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:49 PM   #11

Is it the final conclusion that the cupboard bottom above has to be pried out?
Gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo123316 View Post
Is it the final conclusion that the cupboard bottom above has to be pried out?
That's my conclusion.