Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #1

Navigation System Map Data?

2018 Redhawk 22j, nav app does not work, looks like it can't find any map data. Does this nav system us a separate micro SD for the data? Have had cars that had that, salesman didn't know. Everything else on the radio works okay so hoping its just a missing data card.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

If the radio is a Soundstream, there is a micro slot in the top right of the unit. If the slot is empty, that could be the problem.

If you have the Soundstream (like many of us), we went to Garmin or similar separate GPS units and don't use the built in one, due to it's poor operation.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #3

Okay, thanks. Didn't get the radio make or model, will look up Soundstream and see if it looks similar. I have been looking at the Garmin 770 series as I figured the screen would be too small to see much anyway. Will check that slot!
Old 10-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

The Garmin RV770 is what I bought and put in. I've had auto versions of Garmins for a long time.

The 770 is good for RV usage, since it has RV related points of interest, plus giving road warnings related to the RV (once you enter the rigs specs).

I only use the Soundstream for music/news/races (Sirius) after putting in the Sirius module and antenna.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
The Garmin RV770 is what I bought and put in. I've had auto versions of Garmins for a long time.

The 770 is good for RV usage, since it has RV related points of interest, plus giving road warnings related to the RV (once you enter the rigs specs).
Forgot to ask which mount you're using for the Garmin? Not seeing much other than a dash beanbag and not thrilled with that.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:16 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
Forgot to ask which mount you're using for the Garmin? Not seeing much other than a dash beanbag and not thrilled with that.
I found a flat ball mount on Amazon. I screwed the mount to the coin holder area of the dashboard (since I don't use that area), and then the bracket that the Gamin snaps into, snaps onto the ball of the mount.

The Garmin is now mounted right above the radio screen.
Old 11-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #7

As an update to this thread, I have a Jensen unit in the dash. Sent them an email and they suggested reseating the microSD card (in compartment at lower left of unit with USB port). Did that and Nav now works. Nav uses the same company for the map data as my Subaru Outback so need to check as to how up-to-date it is. Still figuring I'll buy the Garmin 770 though as the location and viewing angle of the indash unit really sucks.