Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-05-2020, 08:34 AM   #1

Need Help

Can anyone tell me how to remove this wood looking panel so I can get to what is behind it? I don’t want to break it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5212.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	66012
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:12 AM   #2

It should pull right off like the plastic factory one would. Start on a corner, generally that where they will have the holding clips.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:28 AM   #3

If you can't seem to get yours off, keep an eye on this thread. This guy HAS to take his off.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ics-82097.html
Old 12-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
If you can't seem to get yours off, keep an eye on this thread. This guy HAS to take his off.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ics-82097.html

Thank you. I’ll continue to watch. I figured it had to be pried off, but there is no easy way to insert a screw driver or pry tool to make it happen, and I don’t want to crack the panel.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
Why do pics have to post sideways...

If the original picture is taller than wide, the system will automatically turn the picture so that the larger dimension is horizontal.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
Can anyone tell me how to remove this wood looking panel so I can get to what is behind it? I don’t want to break it.
Attachment 66012
You could pull the entire dash fascia loose and look behind it to see what kind of fasteners are there.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #7

I just took a dash panel off in our E450. I searched for attachment fasteners carefully, on my back under the dash flash light in hand. What I found was the lower sections of the dash were attached with male plastic studs that snaped into female openings behind the panel. The upper sections are bolted to a mostly stamped steel skeleton. If I had to take a bolted section apart I'd try to think of something else.

Best regards
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #8

It is not the wood grain portion that you remove, you need to remove the entire black frame area that the wood panel is set into. The black frame snaps into the dash and does not require the removal of screws or bolts. This is based on my memory when I changed out the radio to a larger android based touch screen tablet radio. ~ca
Old 12-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #9

Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
You could pull the entire dash fascia loose and look behind it to see what kind of fasteners are there.

I believe you and craigav are correct. One would think the wood burl panel would come off, but that’s not the case. The whole black panel must be removed from the dash assembly. All I wanted to do was to install a volt meter/USB port combination in the space where the dummy button is located. It is not really necessary, and too much trouble disconnecting the panel, wires and plugs to do what I want. Thank you both for your quick reply. Merry Christmas to you and yours; go camping and be well !!
Old 12-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #10

Merry Christmas as well, Just a thought to share in case you still desire to install the volt meter/usb outlet. Removing the entire trim plate is actually quite easy, maybe 5 minutes at most. Nothing has to be unbolted or any dash components removed, the only wire attached would be the wire going to the outlet next to where you intend to mount your new outlet (perhaps more than one there, but the wires are long and can stay in place for what you need to do). A tip would be to lock the parking brake and shift into low gear to move the shift lever further out of the way. I pulled from the bottom and worked my way up, the only thing(s) holding the panel are clips that are fairly strong both removing and replacing the panel, but not overly strong. Once you pull the panel off you could use the same power wire already there for the 12v power outlet. I added a couple of pics of what the panel looks like and you can see the clips I was mentioning.
Good luck either way. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Dash1.JPG   Dash2.jpg  
Old 12-08-2020, 11:48 AM   #11

To be more clear, I removed the panel starting from the bottom only enough to unclip the panel from the dash (just a couple of inches), then you have to remove the panel from the top of the dash by tilting the panel away from the steering column as you lift it up and over the steering column which is why I mentioned that it may help to have the shift lever in the low gear position. ~CA
Old 12-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #12

Well done and thanks. Happy Holidays!
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
To be more clear, I removed the panel starting from the bottom only enough to unclip the panel from the dash (just a couple of inches), then you have to remove the panel from the top of the dash by tilting the panel away from the steering column as you lift it up and over the steering column which is why I mentioned that it may help to have the shift lever in the low gear position. ~CA

Thank you for the post. I think I’ll go for it and do what I originally intended. I dreaded getting into something where I might crack the dash panel, but this definitely looks doable if I take my time.