Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #21

One thing I failed to mention is that we purchased 4 glass gallon jugs that we fill using the zero water pitcher. I don't like the plastic ones since there is a leaching issue even though small.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 05:57 PM   #22

At camp we inspect and check electric with tester and water (turn it on, look for color, odor, pressure) before anything else. Would never hook up to non-potable water except for black tank flush. In your case I would probably simply rinse the system, but a sanitizing cycle wouldn't hurt for peace of mind.

We drink potable camp water run through a blue hopefully filter. Not dead yet. We load 5-6 gallons in fresh water tank as backup for showers, washing, flushing but not drinking. We carry three one-gallon milk jugs of potable water for any use. They fit perfectly in a square plastic tub in the shower tub along with our aluminum coffee perker for heating water. A really nice set-up but a little inconvenient to move every 5-7 days when we shower. Still wonderful luxury compared to primitive tent camping.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:10 PM   #23

Not to worry. It seems you have never run across non-potable water before. Not a big deal, just don't drink it too. Probably would not brush my teeth with it. But bathing and flushing the toilet is just fine. It's not Poison by any means.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:22 PM   #24

I agree with those that say not to worry about it. If you need to drink the water then boil it first. I always carry to large jugs of water when on the road. I never ever drink from the tank. I do cook with tank water, as well as wash hands, dishes, etc.
darlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:41 PM   #25

I would ask "What minerals and the concentration." Possibly the water is just "hard" with a high concentration of calcium. After they tell you the minerals, look them up on the internet.
rfkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:03 PM   #26

I do not like having much water in tank while traveling. Just personal preference. We never drink water from the tap in TT. But we shower and do everything else with it.
If you are not comfortable after flushing... google how to satanize your system. It’s not hard to do.
Charlie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:23 AM   #27

Have you ever visited Saratoga Springs, NY? The water there comes from a fault in the shale and is full of minerals. It tastes horrible to me but people make a point of drinking it for its presumed health benefits.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlos View Post
I agree with those that say not to worry about it. If you need to drink the water then boil it first. I always carry to large jugs of water when on the road. I never ever drink from the tank. I do cook with tank water, as well as wash hands, dishes, etc.

X2
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #29

As in most things, common sense should be the course you follow. If it's posted non potable, don't drink it. If you're concerned, flush and sanitize. As evidenced from all of the posts here, R.V.'ers have different routines and opinions and not one size fits all.
Sometimes I drink the water (filtered) and sometimes I don't. I always carry 5 or so gallons on board for use between campgrounds. I sanitize once a year.
Ps - never been ill from drinking the water in Mexico - LOL
Old 12-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #30
RPR

With all the government regulations that mandate all the chemicals that have to be put in water to make it “safe” for us give me well water anytime. Our daughters previous place in Georgia well water was tested and tested great. He said we should be thankful we were not drinking the water coming out of the faucets in Atlanta.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #31

It really doesn't take much to call water "non-potable". It can be as simple as the water having not been treated to government specifications. If I were running a campground and there and it wasn't municipal water I'd label it as non-potable as well, just to reduce any liability.

What you really need to know is why it's non-potable. For all you actually know, it could be better than municipal water.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #32

I would think its ok to wash and use for the toilet, but I wouldn't drink it....

Side Story: I haven't drank tap water since 2014. That's when there was a chemical spill upstream of our water company here in Charleston WV. MCMH was leaking into the river and drawn into our water supply and thru the entire water system. If there was once plus, it smelled like licorice for miles around. Fortunately for the 2 weeks plus I couldn't use my local water, my church was on a different water system so I could fill containers up and shower there. Anyways... since then we only drink bottled water wherever we go. That kind of nonsense leaves a bad taste in your mouth (literally!)
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
non-potable water, sanitizing, water system