Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2023, 05:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear View Post
But related.

Often in this thread the term "turn on (or off) the batteries" is used. What does that mean? Is there a switch of some kind? Does this really refer to turning on or off) the circuit(s) the battery(s) support?
When we say 'turn off the batteries' we are directing you to push the switch to cause a the "battery disconnect solenoid" to cycle. This either connects or disconnects the house batteries from the 12V electrical circuit. (See the drawing attached in grid C3 and B1). This switch is lit, and is mounted in the entrance stairway of my 2014 31FS. I cant find a good image of the switch, but is a red rocker switch, which is illuminated when ON.

However, I do not know if a Jayco model built in 1999 has this feature.

These solenoids have one or two fuses attached to them which you will need to change someday, so it is good to know where the solenoid is mounted. Mine is on the frame rail mounted next to my outside battery box.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 31FS 12v.JPG  
Old 02-19-2023, 07:50 AM   #22

What I on shore power and If I turn my battery switch off, the only 12 volt I have in my trailer is the 12 volt on my battery, once the batter goes dead, and that's it until I turn the switch back on.
kestertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestertr View Post
What I on shore power and If I turn my battery switch off, the only 12 volt I have in my trailer is the 12 volt on my battery, once the batter goes dead, and that's it until I turn the switch back on.
Yes, that's right. Turning OFF the Battery Solenoid (switch light goes out) also disconnects the house battery from the shore power charging circuit, at least in my rig. I don't know what type of RV you have Kestertr.
Old 02-19-2023, 09:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
Yes, that's right. Turning OFF the Battery Solenoid (switch light goes out) also disconnects the house battery from the shore power charging circuit, at least in my rig. I don't know what type of RV you have Kestertr.

2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
kestertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 10:29 AM   #25

Thanks Scoutmaster253

Your reply was exactly what I thought. I just needed confirmation. On my 1997, it's simply a switch in the kitchen area marked DC. You clarified two things for me.

1) The purpose of the switch, which I already suspected, and 2)

Quote:
Yes, that's right. Turning OFF the Battery Solenoid (switch light goes out) also disconnects the house battery from the shore power charging circuit
I think that explains why when I am connected to shore power, my house battery does not charge. I thought it was one or the other. AC on, DC off, and vice versa. Your comment suggests to me that I should filp the switch to DC on when needing to charge the house battery by shore power. Am I right?
Main purpose of Jayco is for camping at racetracks.
I am a volunteer corner worker for Sports Car Club of America.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 04:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear View Post
Thanks Scoutmaster253

Your reply was exactly what I thought. I just needed confirmation. On my 1997, it's simply a switch in the kitchen area marked DC. You clarified two things for me.

1) The purpose of the switch, which I already suspected, and 2)

I think that explains why when I am connected to shore power, my house battery does not charge. I thought it was one or the other. AC on, DC off, and vice versa. Your comment suggests to me that I should flip the switch to DC on when needing to charge the house battery by shore power. Am I right?
Yes, mostly.

Leave the Battery Switch ON whenever the RV is on shore power so the battery will be continually charged. The shore power will also power the 120volt outlets in your RV.

Leave the Battery Switch ON when you are driving, so the house battery can be charged from the engine (if your unit has that capability).

Leave the Battery Switch ON when you are out exploring at camp, or whatever. My refrigerator needs the 12volt power to operate, even when propane is doing most of the work.

The ONLY time I shut off the Battery Switch is when the unit is going into storage, so the parasitic draws (radio, smoke detector, etc) do not bring my battery voltage down below 50% where it might be damaged.

When it does go into long term Storage (14 days or more) I put a small battery charger/tender on it; and I then disconnect the Chassis battery as well.