Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #1

Noisy Door

I have a 2018 Jayco Melbourne 24k. It is extremely noisy around the door when we drive, to the point we wear earphones to hear the radio. It also is very drafty. I have tried a little larger door seal but that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions on how to improve the seal around the door? I was thinking about removing the screen door to allow me to put in more door seal but hate losing the screen.

Jim Heiberg
2018 Melbourne 24k
jwheibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #2

Jw...there is another conversation about this very problem just a couple weeks ago. That might help you.
Beyond that, I attribute the wind noise around my Melbourne door to a 1/2 gap between the door frame and the physical (cut) opening the frame sits in. I intend to fill that gap with expanding foam in hopes it will cut down on the noise.
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #3

I had the same problem with my 02 Jayco E450. I purchased used. I don't know how the previous owner put up with the noise. I got some 3/4 inch foam tape. and put it where I thought there was a gap. After a few tries I finally got the noise stopped. Tape the foam down, and it will leave a crease on the foam where the door contacts the tape. until I got the door sealed. Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheibe View Post
I have a 2018 Jayco Melbourne 24k. It is extremely noisy around the door when we drive, to the point we wear earphones to hear the radio. It also is very drafty. I have tried a little larger door seal but that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions on how to improve the seal around the door? I was thinking about removing the screen door to allow me to put in more door seal but hate losing the screen.

Jim Heiberg
2018 Melbourne 24k

I have the same issue and can see where the door is hitting when driving-can see bare metal upper left looking from outside. Looking at the door when closed can see that it is not aligned correctly. Will be addressing when tasking to camping world for warranty issues. 2018 Melbourne 24k bought new 3 months ago.
mc2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Rubber stops will address this problem.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:39 PM   #6

Our Redhawk door was badly out of square and plumb in the opening. It overlapped the frame at the top left and had a large gap at the lower left. I think the rough cutout was not done correctly for the door frame. Also the lower edge was at least a half inch out from the sash. Black door edge trim was bent from the factory. Sounded like you were driving with a window open.

Dealer has ordered a new door assembly for replacement under warranty. Hope they can refit it correctly. If not, I will request a factory service appointment. Have about ten other items on our warranty fix list after 5,000 miles and eight months.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:52 AM   #7

Exactly what I am seeing and will request the same thing under warranty. Was the door easy to shut or did you have push/pull pretty hard?
Old 01-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #8

MC2400, Door was slightly tight to open and close at first but became tighter over time until my wife couldn't open or close it. I loosened the striker pins slightly. That worked as a temp solution. There is a warning sticker on it saying no adjustments should be made except by authorized technician.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #9

My door does not close as smooth as it should due to door being pretty far out of alignment. Will update after I drop off next week and it is addressed along with a few other minor things.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:27 PM   #10

Make sure the screws on the hinge side are tight. My screws kept backing out and after tightening them the door operates much better. Added loctite and problem has gone away for the past year. The top of the door still rattles in some situations.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #11
75H

Entry door

Driving through Texas with the wind blowing hard in a certain direction, we thought the top of the entry door was going to rip open, but JUST the top corner. I was about ready to buy a sliding gate latch to give an option to hold it shut!

Searched for posts on this and didn't find any. Suggestions?
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:54 PM   #12

Got our rig back from dealer today. The door issue was repaired. They were unable to make the door fit properly due to bad factory installation. Ordered a new door assembly and installed it correctly.

I have to say, the fit and finish of the dealers work is excellent. All gaps are perfect. There is still some noise but it is much better. Looks like it should have when it left the factory.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #13

Noisy Door

I also have a 2018 24k Ian’s the door was noisy. I noticed it was not aligned and took in to have addressed under warranty. Have not got it back however, was informed that it needed adjustment and it if fixed.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #14

Noisy Door

I also have a 2018 24k and the door was noisy. I noticed it was not aligned and took in to have addressed under warranty. Have not got it back however, was informed that it needed adjustment and it is fixed.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75H View Post
Driving through Texas with the wind blowing hard in a certain direction, we thought the top of the entry door was going to rip open, but JUST the top corner. I was about ready to buy a sliding gate latch to give an option to hold it shut!

Searched for posts on this and didn't find any. Suggestions?
The top corner of our door does the same. We can see daylight through the gap at times. Our kitchen window also does this on both sides....

I never found a fix on the forum.
I took video for the next time it goes in to the shop.

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #16
75H

Thanks MD3 and others, glad to know problem isn't unique to our m/h. Unfortunately, I will not be taking it back to the dealer as I don't trust their service department (there, I said it), but that is a whole different story.

I'll keep watching for suggestions and try to refrain from screwing to top corner shut on long trips!

2018 Jayco 29MVP
75H is offline   Reply With Quote