Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #1

Possible Private Owner Trades?

We have been narrowing our initial search for Class C's and it looks like Jayco is one of the best values. Currently we have a 2014 Keystone Montana 3725RL 5th wheel. We traveled full time for a couple of years but now have settled back into a home.

My question is, has anyone had any luck trading privately. For example, finding someone who is looking to sell their Class C and move into a large fiver? Even though we haven't tried dealing with a dealer yet I suspect anyone trading in one RV for another would take a "beating" on price.
FLHTK-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #2

not sure about RV's but we used to trade trucks back in my younger days. As long as no one owed anything on their trucks, we'd trade them, sometimes an even trade and some times a little cash as included as well
DownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #3

You might take a bath, you might not. People trade stuff all of the time. Like anything you just have to connect with the right person and the right unit. Do some searches on Craig's list. Even if you don't find someone looking to trade, you can always email them and ask.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #4

You might think Jayco is a good value but please look carefully at other brands as well, the quality is very poor on their newer Class C's!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
Ryanandcollette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanandcollette View Post
You might think Jayco is a good value but please look carefully at other brands as well, the quality is very poor on their newer Class C's!

I assume you have a newer one with issues?
FLHTK-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:15 PM   #6

Yes, a 2015 Greyhawk. Bad enough that we can't use it when it's hot out. I keep hearing though from other threads how wonderful Jayco customer service is, so maybe we just have very bad luck?Just really look at a bunch of coaches before you decide.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #7

I have a 2916 Greyhawk class 5 we purchased 8/2015. We have put 7k miles on it & have had nuisance problems. The dealer is a 90min. drive from my home & has been ok with my issues, but not as good as I feel they could be. The quality on this 2016 is very poor compared to ones we've had in early 2k era. We are using it a lot this year & I'm working through the issues. It is frustrating at times when you find out afterwards how much things have cheapened out. My thoughts were at the time "I'm buying new bc I don't want someone else's problems". Knowing what I know now, I would consider looking at used pre 2010 higher end units, for a fraction of what the new ones cost. Problems I've experienced since purchasing it in 08/2015 are:
1. Vibration noise in drivetrain. Now fixed by Jayco.
2. Front end alignment was insanely out when I took it on our first trip to OC MD in 8/15. Dealerships first comment to me was " it's normal for the motorhome to push/pull when tractor trailers go by you. They need to listen to their customers 1st before treating them like their inexperienced campers.
3. We still can't always get the tankless water heater to work perfect.
4. Trim has popped loose on roof where bunk over can it. I fixed & sealed.
5. A/C can't keep up in this Northeastern heatwave this summer. I'm going try the insulting trick I see others doing.
6. Shower drain pipe has obviously come apart now while I'm presently camping in OC MD this year. Put the camper on a tilt so water leaks out over rear driver side wheel housing vs until I can look into probably repairing it myself.
7. Refrig. is concerning to me while on a/c power at keeping the food from spoiling even at coldest setting. Works good on gas.
8. Don't seem to have taillight power at the plug on RV for my toad. Break & turn lights work. I even confirm that with a volt meter at the RV's plug since I'm am an electrician.
There are other small problems that I won't get into bc I think you've by now got my opinion. Jayco claims to have the best warranty, but when I plan our trips & vacations I don't have the time to put it in the shop for repairs until fall, so for now I wind up doing repairs myself. Should've bought high end used vs today's low quality new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:02 AM   #8

I feel your pain! Its great that you know how to do repairs yourself, although you shouldn't have to with brand new! What is the insulating trick? Is it a quick fix or better left to a professional? (No one handy in this household!)

Old 08-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #9

Remove the a/c housing on roof & use the silver ductwork insulation wrap around the blower housing box. You can buy wrap at a home center usually 24" wide roll in different lengths. Install foam pipe insulation on the compressors cold gas lines going to the blower box. This is all common practice on central air in homes to keep effiency, not quit sure why they aren't doing it from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #10

That doesn't sound too hard, we'll have to try it, thanks!