Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2022, 08:14 PM   #1

Power output of the usb port for Sony AXxxxx

My Greyhawk has a Sony AX5000 if I recall correctly with a data port for Android Auto etc. My issue is the power output of that thing is horrendous so my phone winds up draining while in use. A 3 hour trip found it down to about 60% while running the GPS app and streaming music. In my daily driver truck, this isn't an issue so it's something with the head unit's power output and not with my phone (albeit it is getting a little old ).

Has anyone tried using a powered USB hub to boost the charging output? I was thinking of picking up something like this:

Powered-BYEASY-Charging-Splitter-Notebook

but unsure if android auto would still work through it.
Suprnova74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:10 PM   #2
RPR

Believe this has to be plugged into a ac outlet. Are you plugged into a USB plug in your vehicle ? Amperage output of the USB may be low. If you have a cigarette lighter plug you might try using that. Check to see what the a amperage output of the little charger that plugs into it. They vary.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Believe this has to be plugged into a ac outlet. Are you plugged into a USB plug in your vehicle ? Amperage output of the USB may be low. If you have a cigarette lighter plug you might try using that. Check to see what the a amperage output of the little charger that plugs into it. They vary.
Yes, the amps on the data-connected usb port in the dash is incredibly wimpy.

And you are correct re needing to be plugged in. I am also considering adding an inverter inside the dash to have an outlet or two available. But for now we have a DC to AC plug-in inverter.

I could also try this one: Splitter-Transfer-Charging-Individual-Switches. The wall wart is 12v so could in theory cut off the transformer and wire it right into cab power somewhere. It's a bit overkill though.
Suprnova74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:24 AM   #4

Have that trouble in all my vehicles if I plug the phone in for charging to the USB port under the radio. If I plug into the one in the console, all is well. I was told that the one under the radio is an input jack for ipods and music input, not really a charging jack.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:16 PM   #5

The user manual rates the USB port at 1.5 Amps, which should be able to keep your phone charged. The AX-8000 in my Odyssey has the same specs (1.5 amp) and I am able to run navigation and listen to music while charging my phone back to 100%.

I would switch out USB cords - these things wear out faster than you think. I have a DROK USB tester and whenever there is a USB charging issue it is always the cord.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ait109 View Post
The user manual rates the USB port at 1.5 Amps, which should be able to keep your phone charged. The AX-8000 in my Odyssey has the same specs (1.5 amp) and I am able to run navigation and listen to music while charging my phone back to 100%.

I would switch out USB cords - these things wear out faster than you think. I have a DROK USB tester and whenever there is a USB charging issue it is always the cord.

X2 on the cord. Get a good one, some have super thin wire that loose a lot of power. Also get the free phone app called Ampere, it will tell you your phone's charging and discharge rates, and do a test on your USB cords. I'll bet you will be surprised.

Ampere-
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 04:07 PM   #7

Keep in mind, when on the road, your phone is always searching for a signal and that "searching" takes a lot of battery power when in between remote towers.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote