Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2021, 05:57 AM   #1

Quick Connect

New Owner, what is the quick connect on the rear passenger side of my 2016 Greyhawk? Is it Propane?
gotfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotfw View Post
New Owner, what is the quick connect on the rear passenger side of my 2016 Greyhawk? Is it Propane?
Yes it likely is. However, you will need to modify whatever you connect to it whether its a grill, griddle etc. by removing the regulator. If you don't you will be double regulated and get a very restricted gas flow.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Hi Gotfw, what model is your Greyhawk?
Old 04-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:

I have a '16 31FK. Yes, that connector by the rear passenger wheel is "low pressure" propane. Like others have said, that means if you want to connect a grill (for example) you need one without a pressure regulator. [ Or you check youtube to see how others have removed the regulator. ]
Old 04-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #5

Ive heard conflicting stories on the quick connect valve. I've heard some say you can connect an external tank to extend your stay. Others say, no no, bad idea. Anyone have experience with this wacky idea?
Revy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:11 PM   #6
RPR

Do not do it. It is on the RV side of the regulator so pressure would not be regulated.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #7

I would not connect any external tank without a regulator. Its not designed for the pressure, thus the inline regulator. Now if you had a tank connected to a regulator and that in the quick connect.. maybe?? Not sure I'd be the first to try it though...
Old 04-19-2021, 09:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Ive heard conflicting stories on the quick connect valve. I've heard some say you can connect an external tank to extend your stay. Others say, no no, bad idea. Anyone have experience with this wacky idea?

what the other two said.

Buy an Extend-A-Stay tee connector. Easy to install and inexpensive.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
I would not connect any external tank without a regulator. Its not designed for the pressure, thus the inline regulator. Now if you had a tank connected to a regulator and that in the quick connect.. maybe?? Not sure I'd be the first to try it though...
The Quick Connect is regulated by the RV regulator. The problem comes in when you add an accessory like a grill, griddle or fire pit that ALSO has a regulator. That creates a double regulated situation and that accessory will not operate correctly.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 06:46 AM   #10

Quick Connect response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
Hi Gotfw, what model is your Greyhawk?
My Greyhawk is a 31Fk. Is a propane Quick Connect the same as an Air system?
gotfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:19 PM   #11

I never had any luck with our quick connect, i went back to lugging a propane bottle. for some reason either with or with out a regulator i could never get enough propane to run the grill successfully
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:20 PM   #12

Quote:

We have the same RV.

Are you asking if the fitting on the quick connect is just like the fittings on an air compressor?

If so - I **think** the answer is no. I think I read that a propane quick connect fitting is not the same as used on air compressors and tools. Someone smarter will know.

I've never used it.
We don't have a grill without it's own regulator - so it's useless to us.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:30 PM   #13

I managed to get the quick connect working without hassle - I got a Weber Q 2200 grill, and the quick-connect hose. Disconnected the Weber regulator and hooked everything up. The gas pressure is pretty low, but it's enough to work a small grill like the Q. You can't beat the convenience.
barrythelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
That connection is specific to a propane system. The male fitting and the hose are not the same type, and are made specifically for propane. Everything you may need or want, to connect to it are available through your local propane dealer, or Amazon.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:50 PM   #15

I had a X23B hybrid with the propane quick connect just behind the passenger side rear wheel. I also have a Blackstone Tailgater grill/griddle combo. I removed the Blackstone's factory hose with regulator and added a 12 foot hose with the appropriate quick connect plug and plug it in right there. Never had any issues with it. Someone had mentioned they couldn't get it to work properly. I'd suggest you check slightly further upstream from the connection. Mine had a shut off valve right there and if it's not fully open, that could cause issues like low flame. On my current rig, the dealer had to add a propane quick connect. I guess I should have been a but more specific on where I wanted it added. We have a two door trailer. The front door goes into the bedroom. The rear door is nearest the living room and kitchen. Naturally I'd like to cook near the back of the trailer. So where did they add the connection port? Directly forward of the right front stabilizer jack. So, I've now added a 24 foot extension hose, with a shutoff valve on the far end and a Y connector so I can run both my Blackstone and my gas firepit off the same connection. Everything works great.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:34 PM   #16

External tank on quick connect

I use an external tank with a two stage regulator connected to the quick connect. No issues in 4 years on my Greyhawk. I did the same on my fifth wheel for 8 years. Again, no issues. Make sure you use a two stage tank regulator though.
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:17 PM   #17

So if you do the extended stay tank use a regulator
Blackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
I had a X23B hybrid with the propane quick connect just behind the passenger side rear wheel. I also have a Blackstone Tailgater grill/griddle combo. I removed the Blackstone's factory hose with regulator and added a 12 foot hose with the appropriate quick connect plug and plug it in right there. Never had any issues with it. Someone had mentioned they couldn't get it to work properly. I'd suggest you check slightly further upstream from the connection. Mine had a shut off valve right there and if it's not fully open, that could cause issues like low flame. On my current rig, the dealer had to add a propane quick connect. I guess I should have been a but more specific on where I wanted it added. We have a two door trailer. The front door goes into the bedroom. The rear door is nearest the living room and kitchen. Naturally I'd like to cook near the back of the trailer. So where did they add the connection port? Directly forward of the right front stabilizer jack. So, I've now added a 24 foot extension hose, with a shutoff valve on the far end and a Y connector so I can run both my Blackstone and my gas firepit off the same connection. Everything works great.
Just bought my wife a 22" Blackstone griddle. If I understand correctly I would remove the regulator from the Blackstone that is used for the mini propane canisters and tie directly to the RV's quick port using a 1/4" "low pressure" hose. Something kinda like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RB4BMG6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I don't need anything else? Other than propane of course.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #19

Looks right to me
Old 05-12-2021, 05:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGator View Post
Just bought my wife a 22" Blackstone griddle. If I understand correctly I would remove the regulator from the Blackstone that is used for the mini propane canisters and tie directly to the RV's quick port using a 1/4" "low pressure" hose. Something kinda like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RB4BMG6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I don't need anything else? Other than propane of course.
Should work. My Tailgater is a little different. It had a hose and regulator that screwed onto a fitting on the griddle, just like my Weber gas grill so I could hook it up to a 5 gal propane bottle. I removed that and just got a hose that I can plug into the trailer. With your griddle, I think the hose you have picked out will connect to the griddle and the trailer.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote