Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #1

Rear slide topper and backup camera

My Melbourne 24K has a rear slide and a backup camera above the slide out. I want to get a slide topper, has anyone added slide toppers to a rear slide out and have the backup camera? Dealer said it will block the camera but I do have a bike rack on the rear hitch which means I don't really need to see directly behind the RV. I find it hard to believe there isn't a solution.
/Z/
Imazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #2

It does block half the screen. I can see about 1/2 way up the the hood on my toad. I have another camera I was planning on installing maybe above the license plate but just haven’t had the time.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
It does block half the screen. I can see about 1/2 way up the the hood on my toad. I have another camera I was planning on installing maybe above the license plate but just haven’t had the time.
Any idea on how they route the wiring...inside the ceiling or down the rear wall and out the bottom? Might do a your idea but use the original line to the Garmin Infotainment System. Optionally I was considering 3d printing a standoff in the shape of the third brake light that houses the OEM camera, then silicone around the standoff.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #4

Originally I was thinking the same thing but unfortunately they didn’t leave any slack in the camera wire. The inside wall doesn’t have any access to the wires and I wasn’t wild about opening it up. If I do the camera I bought I was thinking about routing the wires from the pass through storage up under the bed and then use existing wire routes to the front or route the wire underneath along the frame and then up through the drivers seat access to the back of the radio.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #5

I am very good with a soldering iron so have no problem extending the existing wires. My concern is the Garmin Infotainment...I have no idea how to get to the docking station and how that is wire up. I don't believe they have it wired up correctly anyhow since the speakers in the dinette area and the dash peakers are all on Zone 1 ( Infotainment has 4 zones)...so I have to turn the volume way up to hear radio when I'm driving...and that blasts out my daughter sitting at the dinette.
Anyway perhaps if I rip apart the dash to fix that I will consider running wires for another camera. I already traced underneither how the TV cable runs and they seem to run them up along the frame rails and come in under the sink.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:55 AM   #6

I am not sure what year your 24K is but it sounds like they changed the head unit from the Pioneer unit they put in a 2016 model. If yours is like mine, be prepared for a rats nest behind the head unit. If you need to know how to remove your Garmin head unit from the dash let me know.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #7

Yes, it is a 2018 and they went with a slick Garmin system with detachable touch screen. At a minimum I want to get in there and look around at the wiring perhaps change to speaker connection for the dinette speakers to a different zone input connection. I am not sure how the dash plastic open up. Any info would be helpful
Old 11-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #8

I would recommend a plastic trim removal tool that you should be able to get pretty cheap. On the Pioneer there is a thin plastic trim around the radio that pops out and exposes 4 screws. Well there should have been 4 but only 3 were installed. The 4th one was in the bag with the manual. From there it is self explanatory. If the Garmin is the same size as the OEM radio there is a larger portion of the dash that pops out. See the following link for a picture.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...=radio+removal

Sprinter-source.com is a wealth of knowledge on Sprinters and Sprinter chassis like this site is for Jayco's and camping in general.

Good luck.