Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #1

Rear wheels on E450 Greyhawk

I'm lifting and going 6x6 on my rig. The wheels are a scant 6" so it's difficult to find any larger tires. I can put on tires made for 6.5 - 8 but I'd rather just get wider wheels. These will fit but again made for 6.5 - 8 > Toyo Tire Open Country M/T All Season Tire - 255/85R16

Does anyone know if you can put wider dually wheels together on this? Maybe 17" x 6.5 ?

Anyone actually done this before? You can't get a damned straight answer from Ford no matter what you ask, they don't know squat about squat.

Thanks in advance!

Also I'm selling all six tires and maybe 4 rear wheels in very good condition, I'm in the Seattle area.

Attached Thumbnails
20200621_114113-small.jpg   20200606_121155-small.jpg   20200606_120739-small.jpg  
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:34 AM   #2

There needs to be a given distance between the rear tires for safety reasons. If you can find wheels, other than the size already on there, I would imagine the offset would have to be considered and changed also, in order to maintain that distance and accept larger tires. I don’t think that there is much out there to accomplish this. Also, other things would need to be looked at, such as clearance with other items on the inside wheels, and body clearance on the outside ones as well. Good luck and let us know if you can make it work. Remember ..... safety first !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:56 AM   #3

I believe someone over on the Thor Forums did this with an Axis Or Vegas which is on a Ford E series chassis.

They have already done the 4 x 4 bit so you might jump over there and check it out.

Their users name is Ducksface and here is a link to the thread he started with all his mods.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-7.html

Happy reading.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:07 AM   #4

Thanks for those excellent posts. I know there needs to be some clearance between tires and it seems this is mitigated by the wheel body and the two back to back. It's also possible that there is not enough bolt thread depth to accommodate two thicker wheels. I'm heading over to the other thread to investigate, THX!

I would like to buy 4 matching wheels for fr and rr exterior. If I could go with 17's I think it would be easier to find some strong boss looking matching wheels. I don't care about the interior wheel so it can still just be a larger old ugly steel wheel.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:17 PM   #5

Rickson truck wheels. They sell 17.5 X 6.75 wheels for the E350/450 as well as a good selection of tires.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:55 AM   #6

@ MikeUSNRet - Thanks for that suggestion. If I can verify these would fit as dually and leave the clearance between tires that would be swell.

Something like this Black Rhino Armory wheel would look badass IF I could find 4 exterior in the right size and bolt pattern.

The idea of using spacer has been floating around in my head. I've used them before just not on a dually. I don't care if it pushes the tires out this distance.

Check out this video