Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2022, 04:58 PM   #1

redhawk dinette so uncomfortable any ideas?

we really dont like our dinette in our redhawk. its just the 2 of us. Can you post pictures of ideas what can be done? we would like more storage and sit comfortably.
colettek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:22 PM   #2
Site Team

I have had several campers with slide in dinettes and they were all uncomfortable. I have seen mods on JOF. Hopefully someone with a Greyhawk will chime in.
Our last 2 rigs had free standing tables. I could never go back to a dinette.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:09 PM   #3

Eat quickly...

Wife changed out the foam on the bottom cushions and recovered them, top and bottom. It helped immensely but it's far from what I'd call comfortable. I can sit at the table now for maybe 30-45 minutes before it's uncomfortable.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colettek View Post
we really dont like our dinette in our redhawk. its just the 2 of us. Can you post pictures of ideas what can be done? we would like more storage and sit comfortably.
Well... the objective behind a dinette is to provide more storage underneath the benches. They are uncomfortable because the backs are completely upright, not slightly angled back. You could attempt to rebuild the bences with a slight angle, but the cheap little 1x2 construction probably isn't strong enough to support that lateral force.

We simply removed our benches from our trailer (not a motorhome, but same principles here). We lost a little bit of storage space and the option of a fold down bed, but we gained so much more room and comfort. The freestanding tables and chairs is such an improvement in comfort and space inside the camper.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:28 AM   #5

There are lots of places selling foam to DIY in our area. I’d take the seat foam out and have them cut a new piece of better quality to replace the original. Another option is to find a furniture reupholsterer which are as scarce as hens teeth and ask them to rebuild the foam. They typically use foam for the center and wrap it with other material for better comfort and wear, not sure what that is before they replace.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:10 AM   #6

I bought those cheap blue closed-cell foam camping pads at Walmart, cut them to size and slid them into the bottom cushions. That extra firm half inch of pad improved the comfort. Total cost about $20. We also don't use the back cushions since they're too thick and move us too far forward on the seat cushions. Overall, it's more comfortable and I can sit longer.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:13 AM   #7

Dinette modification for Redhawk

I have a 2017 Redhawk and modified the dinette in 2018. Agree sitting in the standard dinette with your back at a 90 right angle continuous is absolutely miserable. Forgot to add the storage underneath was not altered. The recliners are called Japanese floor chairs and I had at first seen a youtube video on a truck camper that was done this way. I had to search to find where these recliners were available and it turns out I had to purchase from a vendor on Aliexpress. I think today Amazon or elsewhere may have these. There are very nice and comfortable. I also purchased the swing out tables from Aliexpress as well. Unfortunately we in this country don't manufacture much anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
mod. dinette Redhawk.jpg  
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:19 AM   #8

I took half mine out, smaller table, added a reclining office chair...works perfect
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:25 AM   #9

great idea! i’ll look for these. chairs
Old 01-17-2022, 11:53 AM   #10

Get one of those foam noodles, the kind that you take into a pool and to the beach. Cut the foam noodle to length across for the width of your dinette seat. Put the noodle behind the back seat cushion it will put an angle on the back of the cushion and give you a little bit more comfort for not a whole lot of effort or money. I’ve done this for every reg I’ve had, works like a charm.
Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote:
What year and make (floorplan) RedHawk do you have? Also, Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forums (JOF).
Old 01-17-2022, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
What year and make (floorplan) RedHawk do you have? Also, Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forums (JOF).
2017 red hawk xk
Old 01-26-2022, 03:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Try RecPro we love ours and reasonable
Old 01-26-2022, 04:26 PM   #14

Replaced dinette

I removed entire dinette in our Redhawk 24b. Replaced with recliner sear we picked up in shipshawana, pa. We love it now. Can store under and behind chairs.
Attached Thumbnails
20210511_152215.jpg  
Llamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:54 PM   #15

Took the dinette out and replaced with a RePro electric sofa.
Lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:07 PM   #16

There are other posts here that talk about the dinette.

I'm still looking,on this forum, but one suggestion was to buy foam wedges from home depot ot lowes that are used in residential gutters for leaf prevention.

It's a genius idea. We bought two for our rig, cut them down to size, put them in back of the upright cushion. Works great, cost $10, you can't see them when installed.

I hope someone can find the original post and give kudos to the member. They deserve it!
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjayco View Post
There are other posts here that talk about the dinette.

I'm still looking,on this forum, but one suggestion was to buy foam wedges from home depot ot lowes that are used in residential gutters for leaf prevention.

It's a genius idea. We bought two for our rig, cut them down to size, put them in back of the upright cushion. Works great, cost $10, you can't see them when installed.

I hope someone can find the original post and give kudos to the member. They deserve it!
Yep, as I mentioned above. Same idea.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ml#post1022930

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:52 AM   #18

I tore the dinette out of our 2015 Precept 31UL and replaced it with a folding table and two stackable chairs. Much better! (I’d post a pic but can’t seem to figure out how, although I’ve done it here before.)

We also replaced the sofa bed with dual aftermarket recliners. (The original was an uncomfortable couch and even worse bed.)
Attached Thumbnails
67D58B49-9363-4DEB-A02A-2F501D6CACDF.jpg  
Southernman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:54 AM   #19

So I have a question along the same lines. I have a 2021 Greyhawk and want the dinette out. Aside from the electrical outlet and USB outlets there is another wire coming right up from the floor. How do you hide those and the holes from where you unbolted that darn seatbelt steel bracing that is also causing weight.
SAckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:48 PM   #20

Hi there,

Did you already fix the issue ?

I just bought a Redhawk with 2 recliner and I was thinking of switching to a dinette. Are you interested in a kind of trade ? I'm in Miami where are you ? Please let me know,
Cristina
crilelli 64 is offline   Reply With Quote