Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #1

Remodel your doghouse!

So preping my Redhawk for our great quest west, I took off the doghouse cover, removed the factory insulation and installed Kilmat, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CBK48XN..._fHS5zxXAXgGSu

I was able to re-install the factory insulation on top of it and tuck it in the gasket for a perfect fit.

What a difference it made! We just drove 3k miles from south florida to NM, we are now able to hold conversations on the speaker phone and with each other. It even cut down on the amount of heat transferred from the engine compartment. I now can put a bottle of water in the cup holder without it getting hot!

Installing the kilmat was a little Tedious, I used a rubber roller, razor blade and tin snips. I used foil tape to seal the seams. I highly recommend anyone with that annoying doghouse do this as your next upgrade!
Attached Thumbnails
CFE9C835-A652-4F02-9F8A-5AC1E3F1B609.jpeg  
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:36 PM   #2

I am planning on doing this to the passenger side floor on my truck. It gets hot enough to melt the chocolate on our nature Valley bars.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shokyle1 View Post
I am planning on doing this to the passenger side floor on my truck. It gets hot enough to melt the chocolate on our nature Valley bars.
Just be aware I’ve read that some of these sound deadening materials give off an petroleum type oder. The review on the kilmat that I used, had that complaint, But they use them inside their car doors, I wasn’t worried because of my installation location being the engine compartment, plus I put the factory insulation over it and foil taped the exposed ends. So it’s pretty much encapsulated.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the heads up. I would hate to do all that work just to undo it.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:39 AM   #5

Interesting, I did the floor first. I plan to do the doghouse when I return.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post957747

On a test drive, my sound levels now match my Cadillac and the DW says there is no hot-feet.

I also worried about the smell but we do not detect any..... yet.
Perhaps the double layer is the key...

Leaving soon on a multiday trip so we will test in the real world soon.

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #6

Very nice. I put Kilmat on the inside of the outside metal storage bins and will also do the dog house.

I'd do the floor of the cab but that looks like a daunting task.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #7

Well I just got to AZ from South Fl, no smell, and it’s freaking hot here! At one point engine temp hit 222° as it was climbing a hill, but went quickly right back down. She runs pretty steady at around 2011°
Old 05-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
I'd do the floor of the cab but that looks like a daunting task.
I did the floor of my cab and it's not as difficult as you think. The seats are just bolted down with 4 bolts, though you need a T55 Torx for the front bolts. After the seats are out, the rubber floor covering just lifts up and you've got a blank canvas. Easy peasy!
Old 05-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
I did the floor of my cab and it's not as difficult as you think. The seats are just bolted down with 4 bolts, though you need a T55 Torx for the front bolts. After the seats are out, the rubber floor covering just lifts up and you've got a blank canvas. Easy peasy!
And how does it sound now?
Old 05-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
And how does it sound now?
I didn't do any before and after sound measurements, but it's definitely quieter now than it was before. It's also much cooler, especially the passenger side floor.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #11

I haven't had any issues with mine, I wonder if it is insulated differently than the newer ones, my drinks stay cool in the drink holder. However, I believe that more insulation would not be a bad thing. On this subject, I got an email the other day from Amazon that says that "Woot" is an now an amazon company and that their "amazon basics" sound deadener is 40% off the amazon price, in case anyone wants to order some. I haven't decided for myself yet if I need this, maybe. I suspect it can be installed in a few hours so... maybe. ~Craig

Amazon price = 57.16 and has good reviews
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...ve&sr=1-3&th=1

Woot price is 34.99 and is the same item
https://tools.woot.com/offers/amazon...9310_582487220

BTW, the kilmat is only 36.99 for 25 sq foot and the amazon basics linked above is 36 sq ft, and a little bit thicker (80 mil vs 50 mil). Both have good reviews. ~CA
Old 05-13-2021, 05:30 PM   #12

Not daunting.
DW and I did it in a few hrs. Materials are easy to cut and apply. Seat removal is straightforward.
We removed seats one at a time, and pulled the rubber mat to one side. Replaced the seat and then did the other.
We travelled our first 4hr segment today and no smell, low noise. Cabin temp stayed cool and no hot feet.

Our doghouse did not get hot.

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I haven't had any issues with mine, I wonder if it is insulated differently than the newer ones, my drinks stay cool in the drink holder. However, I believe that more insulation would not be a bad thing. On this subject, I got an email the other day from Amazon that says that "Woot" is an now an amazon company and that their "amazon basics" sound deadener is 40% off the amazon price, in case anyone wants to order some. I haven't decided for myself yet if I need this, maybe. I suspect it can be installed in a few hours so... maybe. ~Craig

Amazon price = 57.16 and has good reviews
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...ve&sr=1-3&th=1

Woot price is 34.99 and is the same item
https://tools.woot.com/offers/amazon...9310_582487220

BTW, the kilmat is only 36.99 for 25 sq foot and the amazon basics linked above is 36 sq ft, and a little bit thicker (80 mil vs 50 mil). Both have good reviews. ~CA
Kilmat has a few different thicknesses. I was able to put the factory Moulded right back over the kilmat, I just tucked it into the rubber gasket/weather stripping. That was a plus!
Old 05-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #14

Thanks. Been wanting to do something.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:07 AM   #15

I did the dog house and the floor with Kilmat on our 2021 Red Hawk 24B. It was worth the effort. When the dog house was removed I tie-wrapped the electrical wires behind it, sloppy Jayco work. That made re-installing the dog house a breeze.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #16

Quote:
I did the dog house and the floor with Kilmat on our 2021 Red Hawk 24B. It was worth the effort. When the dog house was removed I tie-wrapped the electrical wires behind it, sloppy Jayco work. That made re-installing the dog house a breeze.
Don’t lie about Jayco’s work being sloppy! Lol! I had a Thor sprinter years ago, the AC vents would stop blowing air out of the dash, but you could hear the air still blowing hard, dash would start condensating and it would drip with water. This went on for months. Finally Mercades found that Thor ran Their cable for the GPS/radio unit through the front of the damper controls, it would pull it closed and cause the issue! They also buried the microphone for the phone in the dash!
Old 05-21-2021, 08:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Don’t lie about Jayco’s work being sloppy! Lol! I had a Thor sprinter years ago, the AC vents would stop blowing air out of the dash, but you could hear the air still blowing hard, dash would start condensating and it would drip with water. This went on for months. Finally Mercades found that Thor ran Their cable for the GPS/radio unit through the front of the damper controls, it would pull it closed and cause the issue! They also buried the microphone for the phone in the dash!
I apologize for dissing Jayco's work. I fixed quite a few other problems.

We bought the rig at LaMesa in Port St. Lucie. They were great to deal with and we have a drop-off service appointment Tuesday in Ft. Myers to have the slide out adjusted, a Fantastic fan they installed is wired incorrectly, one window screen is the wrong size, the kitchen faucet leaks and the entry door need adjustment.

I could not believe the amount of assembly debris that was discovered when I did the Kilmat on the floor.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:26 AM   #18

Quote:
I apologize for dissing Jayco's work. I fixed quite a few other problems.

We bought the rig at LaMesa in Port St. Lucie. They were great to deal with and we have a drop-off service appointment Tuesday in Ft. Myers to have the slide out adjusted, a Fantastic fan they installed is wired incorrectly, one window screen is the wrong size, the kitchen faucet leaks and the entry door need adjustment.

I could not believe the amount of assembly debris that was discovered when I did the Kilmat on the floor.
I was being sarcastic! Most of these rigs are put together sloppy! No Quality Assurance with these RV’s! They just do a check list, it it’s done, it’s out the door!
Old 05-21-2021, 10:51 AM   #19

That is the pattern that follows Thor whenever they take over a company. Then they have to back off. It happened to Airstream and Jayco. They let tge accountants run the business.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoyle View Post
That is the pattern that follows Thor whenever they take over a company. Then they have to back off. It happened to Airstream and Jayco. They let the accountants run the business.
You are so correct and it's true of many businesses today.

« Dog house | Msrp? »