Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #41

If the gen had a separate tank I would buy ethanol free if available. However, with current engines it would be a waste of money. YMMV.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #42

I have run a lot of small engines on ethanol during the summer but always finish the year with pure gas. You could do that also by running down the tank and filling with pure gas to purge the ethanol. A little won't hurt much. Especially if run some StaBil or similar treatment, then get it good and hot with a load, shut off the fuel flow and run it dry for the winter.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:20 AM   #43

RogerR has a good suggestion. If you're running the generator regularly, you won't need to invest in non-ethanol gasoline. However, if it's going to sit for months without running, and especially over the winter, the investment in a little bit of premium gasoline might be wise.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #44
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
RogerR has a good suggestion. If you're running the generator regularly, you won't need to invest in non-ethanol gasoline. However, if it's going to sit for months without running, and especially over the winter, the investment in a little bit of premium gasoline might be wise.
Actually, I was reading the manual on my genny (which I believe is the same as the OP), and regarding Winterizing or periods of inactivity, it said not to worry if the period is 120 days or less. Just stabilizer in the gas was enough.

Only if it was going to be longer than that, to fully winterize the genny.

Based on that, if the genny is fired up once during the Winter, this sounds like it would be enough to keep it "exercised" during the down time... it wouldn't need to be run monthly.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Actually, I was reading the manual on my genny (which I believe is the same as the OP), and regarding Winterizing or periods of inactivity, it said not to worry if the period is 120 days or less. Just stabilizer in the gas was enough.

Only if it was going to be longer than that, to fully winterize the genny.

Based on that, if the genny is fired up once during the Winter, this sounds like it would be enough to keep it "exercised" during the down time... it wouldn't need to be run monthly.

You might be able to get by with that. What's that old saying "You pays your money and you takes your chances"? If it was mine, I'd probably be a little more proactive and either plan on running the generator at least monthly with some load on it or make a small investment of $ 50.00 or $ 75.00 for 50 gallons or so of non-ethanol gasoline to avoid a larger expense after sitting idle for the winter. I worked for a Cummins Engine distributor for a couple of years and it got to the point where we required a deposit when someone carried- in a gasoline generator set that wouldn't run right. We had too many cases where customers just abandoned a unit after we diagnosed the issue and told them the cost to fix it.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #46

Quote:
We had too many cases where customers just abandoned a unit after we diagnosed the issue and told them the cost to fix it.
No offense, but with $350 carbs and $125hr for a mechanic, I don't much blame them.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
No offense, but with $350 carbs and $125hr for a mechanic, I don't much blame them.

No offense taken. That's why it's so important to carefully follow PM and storage/winterizing instructions. The last time I checked the price on a replacement generator set was around $ 3000 for a 4 KW RV unit. So, a $ 350 carb and a couple of hours of labor would mean maybe $ 600 if that's all that's wrong?
Old 11-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #48

Quote:
if that's all that's wrong?
And you don't know that until after the carb has been replaced. I still have to install a new filter and fuel pump and run some more Seafoam. If push comes to shove I'll take apart what I can on the carb and go crazy with carb cleaner. I have nothing to lose otherwise.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #49

Installed new filter and fuel pump, running better and power output is much improved so hopefully I can leave the carb alone. Getting in trouble with storage unit owner for creating exhaust fumes
Old 11-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #50
Site Team

Thanks for the update. I'm glad it's running better now.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:41 PM   #51
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
Installed new filter and fuel pump, running better and power output is much improved so hopefully I can leave the carb alone.
Good news if it saves the cost of the carb!

Quote:
Getting in trouble with storage unit owner for creating exhaust fumes
Maybe you can charge them for taking care of their mosquito problem...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote