Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #21

My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmsNMar View Post
Hello, and congratulations. If you're planning on having power hookups during your overnighters, a small 5 amp space heater in your water compartment helps. Especially if it's aimed directly at your water pump and lines. Leave the cabinet doors below your sinks open so warm air can circulate inside, and leave your bathroom door open, too. Again, if you're going to use a campground with hookups for the overnighters, an electric heater from Walmart inside the coach might help save propane usage. I've used 2 electric heaters in the past inside our coach, but I had to connect the second heater to our microwave plug to prevent the circuit from popping. Good luck on your adventure; stay heathy; and, drive safely. Happy Trails....
Heaters, I put in a separate 20 amp plug in my coach that plug separately to 20 amp plug on campground pedestal . Run my heaters on that and keeps coach circuits free for microwave electric water heater toaster etc. My experience with tank heaters is dead house batteries in morning. And I have 2 house batteries in my 26xd. Never turned them on again.
Usmade56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagetguy View Post
12/21/2020
We own a 2021 Jayco Redhawk 26XD and are getting ready to make our first major road trip out west to visit our son and his family. It is a 2500 mile, three to four day trip. Obviously we will need to stop several times. While the daytime temperatures will be above freezing (in the 40's), the overnight temperatures along our route may still dip to 24F. We do have heaters for our tanks but do we need to worry about our pipes, particularly those underneath the camper from freezing up when it gets this cold overnight before we hit the road again?

Thanks for any help that any one can lend on this question. We are newbies!
You may want to learn from my experience. I have a 2019 Redhawk 25R, all my waterlines underneath are exposed. Last year, in January, returning to South Florida from NE PA, we were caught in a temperature drop. It was supposed to only go to 37 we woke up to 26. The control valve in my Wet Bay compartment had frozen over. I use a portable heater to thaw things out, luckily nothing burst!

This year we’re making the same trip. I since installed heater coil cable on all my expose lines underneath, wrap them with 3’ sections of foam insulation along with my drain lines. I installed a GFI electrical outlet in my wet bay and will be running 170 watt heater on a thermostat plug 37/50.

Take in your fresh water supply hose overnight, use your tank heaters but make sure there’s a few gallons of liquid in them, pull in your slides, practical, you’ll use much less heat that way, run your furnace, and I would keep my water pump off and only turn it on in the middle of the night when you need water.

Stay warm
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #23

I'm with the Winterize Guys. Our weather forecasts don't come with a guarantee!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmade56 View Post
Heaters, I put in a separate 20 amp plug in my coach that plug separately to 20 amp plug on campground pedestal . Run my heaters on that and keeps coach circuits free for microwave electric water heater toaster etc. My experience with tank heaters is dead house batteries in morning. And I have 2 house batteries in my 26xd. Never turned them on again.
Us made, I’m assuming you were not plugged in to show power when you ran your tank heaters? Otherwise How would they have killed your batteries?

I ran 2 Aux outlets in my RV to use pretty much the same way as you. And my heater coils and outside heater all run to pedestal also.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagetguy View Post
Thanks

We will be taking water with us but the issue is using the bathroom while we are driving. With Covid running rampant, outside of stopping for gas and campgrounds, we don't plan to go into any establishment on our trip out.
For flushing in the bathroom take a gallon jug and mix 1/3 antifreeze and rest water.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #26

Tank heaters

Correct , I had pulled over in a parking lot when ran into a snow storm in Kansas going home from Arizona. Watched TV on inverter then turned on tank heater when temp really dropped. Never used tank heater before and didn't give it a thought. Started engine to put enough juice in house batteries to start Jenny the next morning. A learning experience.
Usmade56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #27

That is what we'll be doing when we leave WNY end of Jan, take some jugs of water mixed with RV anti-freeze for flushing and de-winterize when we get to MacDill AFB.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:52 PM   #28

We'll it’s only a camper. It’s about enjoying out there.
GipsieJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:50 PM   #29

I've been following these posts with great interest. We live in NJ and our youngest son and his family are in southern CA. We took our Redhawk 22C SE across country in the early fall and got caught in some very cold weather on the way home. We took the precautions noted in some of the posts and did not have any problems. However, I was wondering if anyone sells a system that protects the lines, tanks, etc. It seems like something that should be available as an aftermarket edition.
FrankBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:55 PM   #30

We just got back from 5 days to Moab and back. Daily highs in the low 30's evening lows were teens. Last night it hit 5*F.

Our Greyhawk is pitifully prepared for winter camping - all of the lines underneath are exposed.

Here's what I do to make it thru winter camping in Colorado.
- I've crawled underneath and slid pipe insulation over 90% of the exposed pipes.
- I'll run a 700 watt heater in our 'basement' where the pump, valves and filter are. That heater will keep the enclosure at 65* F
- We run the furnace and a decent electric heater inside to keep it around 68*
- Electric blankets ensure everyone sleeps well
- I'll flip on the tank heaters

If night time temps are upper teens or better, that's it. We hit the sack.
If night time temps are below that, then after the last shower and dishes, I'll take 2 gallons of RV Antifreeze and winterize.

$8 and 10 minutes of work to ensure things don't freeze.

Yep - the next morning it's all flushed out with clear water and the process repeats.

On the eventual To-Do list is crawling back under the beast and putting heat tape on as much exposed water lines as I can - then we'll see if we can survive colder temps w/out freezing up.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:58 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBig View Post
However, I was wondering if anyone sells a system that protects the lines, tanks, etc. It seems like something that should be available as an aftermarket edition.

I've seen systems to protect the tanks and valves (Ultraheat) but nothing to protect the lines.

That's going to be a DIY job for me and an unpleasant one.

I've already done the power and temp measurements for the heat cable I've bought. It's 300 watts and seems to cap out at 120*F, well below the upper temps for PEX.

The problem is that electric heat sucks electric.
A lot.
You'd need to be running the generator when traveling. Or have a ton of battery.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:09 PM   #32

A lot of good ideas! Since we downsized from a DP to a Class C I never thought much about the drain valves etc. I have some projects ahead of me should we decide to travel during winter months. Currently winterize then dewinterize when in a warmer climate will have to work for me.
ViperOne is offline   Reply With Quote