Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2018, 05:17 PM   #1

Short queen bed

Would like to know the weight capacity of the queen bed board and what type mattress to purchase to replace one that came in 2018 Greyhawk. We are plus size people & don’t like memory foam. Thanks
Bojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #2

A lot of posts agree that you need to reinforce the bed even if you are not plus size. Do a search to see which you like. If you are plus size you may want to laminate another layer of plywood over the top (glue and screws) and reinforce the bed supports. It will add weight so be sure to reinforce the bed lifter hinge points

I also added a strip along the bottom edge where it hangs over because it creaked and gave when I sat on it to change shoes, etc.

RE the mattress ---- junk that should never have graced a flop house vs on any RV. Go for a memory foam, lots here have, got to search for the firmness and price you want. Probably a 10 inch minimum.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, since the bed frame is in a horseshoe shape don’t know how to reinforce it, what are the bed supports is it the frame the plywood lays on? will the 10” memory foam hold its shape or will you sink in. I was thinking of getting a coil or latex mattress. We are an older couple & have a hard time pulling up from the memory foam.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #4

Not sure which Greyhawk you have but our 2018 29MVP bed slides out with the bedroom slideout.

I would be careful putting screws or adding too much weight to the bed. The way the slide works is the bed frame stays stationary and just the mattress and board it rest on slides out. We put a 4" (2" isotonic memory foam and 2" angel soft polyester filled layer) short queen topper on the factory mattress and sleep great!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

Never saw a need to reinforce our bed and we're not especially dainty...

Short Queens make finding a good mattress tough if you don't like foam. I don't like foam and I wanted to try the mattress before buying.

We ended up with a regular full sized Sealy mattress, but near the top of the line. I love it. Yeah, we lost about 5" in width but to have a real nice home-style mattress is wonderful...
Old 05-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #6

I own a couple of furniture/mattress stores. We stock queen shorts all the time. Go to your locally owned store who can show and special order one for you. Plan on spending $500 + for a good innerspring mattress. Regular foam is cheaper, but won't be firm enough for you. Avoid anything that comes out of a box too. Remember, there is nothing in your RV that you use more than your mattress.
Midwest Jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:16 AM   #7

Short bed

Thanks Midwest Jeff, I have ordered a short queen latex mattress 10” which I am hoping will work for us, I also ordered from camping world a mattress extender to put at head of bed giving us 6” more at the foot. And it was over $500. Since my husband is not able to do much the majority of things fall on me and one thing I know I have to have a good nights sleepinorder for our trip to be enjoyable!