Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #1

Slideouts not working.

Our 2014 has about 45K miles and overall has been largely trouble free with a few minor annoyances. Today we were sitting in the rig in our RV spot at home because we had workers in the house. The a/c is working fine until it just stops. I thought maybe I had set it high, but after sensing rising temp I checked the thermostat. No display. Check the shore power and it was good. Tried lights and zilch, assumed a fuse blew, but could not find a blown 12V fuses. Called repair shop and they speculated either a very dead battery or failed 120/12V converter. Coach started and left if running for about a half hour; no response from the battery - no indicator lights on the monitor panel, no lights, no nothin'. Se we need to retract the slides in order to get the rig to the shop. Now for the fun, took me the longest time to just find the mechanism. One is under the couch but in a box secured to the floor. Decided to find the one for the bedroom slide and it is under the bunk beds. The only way to get to it is by removing the drawers under the bed and then removing the floor of the bottom bunk. Does anyone know of any way to get the slides to retract other than utilizing these almost impossible to access locations? BTW, it has been suggested I just hook up a portable charger to the battery and hope I can get enough power in the battery to bring the rooms in. The battery compartment is under one of the slides and the battery cables are too short to allow full access to both terminals of the battery. Seriously, Jayco, how much money did you save by that maneuver?
Old 06-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #2

I know you said you checked the fuses, but what about the circuit board? Also, when running your air on shore power at home, was it a standard 115 home plug. I've been told that's not enough power for the rooftop ac, and although it will initially run the ac, it'll also burn out the ac motor. Hope you get this figured out!
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #3

Classic dumb mistake

First, let me answer the question about the shore power. It is a 30AMP circuit. Second, how could I have missed this! I was sitting in the RV at home (work being done in the house) and I had the dogs with me. I was reading the dogs were playing. Does anyone suspect where this is going yet? Yep, they hit the master power switch. You might ask why didn't the RV repair shop I called, think of it. I think I can answer that. I told them I was sitting in the RV and suddenly everything stopped. Notice, I did not mention playing dogs. So they're thinking, if he threw power switch then surely this idiot calling us would know that. The mobile RV guy came out, checked the battery (13.2 volts so the charger and the converter are working), checked the fuses, both the 120 and 12V ones, checks the wiring, finally he thinks of the power switch. He flipped the power switch and everything is hunky-dory. I guess you have to say it was worth $45 bucks to learn a lesson that has gotten me a couple of times before in both this rig and the previous one. So, everyone, check that blasted power switch!!! This still doesn't address my issue with not being able to locate brake on either slide, but at least it wasn't actually necessary to use it if I had found it.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 PM   #4

Don't feel alone, we've hit that switch by accident a couple of times. We now know what to check first.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:05 PM   #5

Whoever has never done a dumb mistake, they may cast the first insult. Anyone... For the record...definitely no insults coming from me. Pleasant news! Happy Trails
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:13 PM   #6
Site Team

A dumb mistake is the first step to experience. I've got a lot of experience!

Pretty profound, huh?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #7

My slides and awning will not work if the engine is on. The number of times I have started the engine and then tried to pull the awning in is embarrassing. It still takes me a second or to figure out what is wrong. So no comments from me.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
My slides and awning will not work if the engine is on. The number of times I have started the engine and then tried to pull the awning in is embarrassing. It still takes me a second or to figure out what is wrong. So no comments from me.
I do this ALL THE TIME! I always feel like a fool when DW says, "Hey! Don't turn that on, I need to bring the slides and awning in!" There's not a lot that she knows better than I do on this rig either!!

ETA: I do it so I can raise the jacks because the engine must be running in order to run the jacks.

As for that 12V main switch, I'm glad this post is here. My 4YO has a bad habit of playing with switches. He knows he's not supposed to, and I've told him several times, but still, he gets curious sometimes.

I just KNOW one day he's going to hit that switch because it's a "juicy target" for him at eye level as he's going up/down the stairs. And there's that neat red light that will dim out slowly after you throw the switch too!!

So, now I know where to look if it happens to me!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote