Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2021, 02:46 PM   #1

Angry Somebody Needs To Do Something About Ford

We have a Class C RV powered by a Ford E450. 13 months into it at 5,000 miles I get a Engine Warning Light. Take the old sensor to the motor and get a P2196 and P0496 code. Translated that means I've got an O2 Sensor Stuck Rich on Bank 1, Sensor 1 and and EvaporaTive Emission System High Purge Flow. So, off to schedule the truck at Ford (we live about 33 miles north of Atlanta). After numerous calls to Ford dealers and corporate we find that there are only 1 Ford Truck Center and 1 Ford dealership with an arrangement with a Truck repair center that will touch the truck for warranty work. Cute, but it gets better. The Ford Truck Center (an hour drive through Atlanta traffic) tells me to expect a 6-8 week wait before they can get to it and they have to have it on site for that time as they don't schedule work on RVs. The second site (about 2 hour drive) says a 4 week wait and like the first has to have the vehicle on site until they can get to it. Great. Ever wonder why Jayco, Thor, et al don't get Ford to provide better warranty repair given the number of motorize RVs they put on Ford E class chassis? Camping World here won't touch the Ford and while there are truck repair centers that would work on it, they won't do warranty work. Make me wonder why we didn't stay with the trailer.d
Skip76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #2

What year E-450? Is that the old V10 or the new V8?
Old 04-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #3

Built 1/4/2019 but called a 2020 RV. V10 engine.
Skip76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #4

This is one reason extended warranties might not be worth it. Looks like dealers don't like doing warranty work but I bet if you show up there with cash in hand, they will somehow get you in. Just an opinion.

With the original warranty still in effect you have to decide what your time and inconvenience is worth. Can you only get service at a truck location or can any service facility fix the problem? Often the error code will tell you exactly what is wrong so I would guess any good Ford tech would be able to pop in a new sensor or whatever.

Since you pulled the error code I assume you have the tool that can reset it. If it is an O2 sensor that is bad, can you or a handy friend pop a new one in, reset the code, and see if the problem disappears? Of course if it isn't a simple sensor then this idea goes out the window.

I would pay some bucks not to have my rig sit at some remote location for a month or two on the oft chance it will get looked at.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip76 View Post
We have a Class C RV powered by a Ford E450. 13 months into it at 5,000 miles I get a Engine Warning Light. Take the old sensor to the motor and get a P2196 and P0496 code. Translated that means I've got an O2 Sensor Stuck Rich on Bank 1, Sensor 1 and and EvaporaTive Emission System High Purge Flow. So, off to schedule the truck at Ford (we live about 33 miles north of Atlanta). After numerous calls to Ford dealers and corporate we find that there are only 1 Ford Truck Center and 1 Ford dealership with an arrangement with a Truck repair center that will touch the truck for warranty work. Cute, but it gets better. The Ford Truck Center (an hour drive through Atlanta traffic) tells me to expect a 6-8 week wait before they can get to it and they have to have it on site for that time as they don't schedule work on RVs. The second site (about 2 hour drive) says a 4 week wait and like the first has to have the vehicle on site until they can get to it. Great. Ever wonder why Jayco, Thor, et al don't get Ford to provide better warranty repair given the number of motorize RVs they put on Ford E class chassis? Camping World here won't touch the Ford and while there are truck repair centers that would work on it, they won't do warranty work. Make me wonder why we didn't stay with the trailer.d
Arrangement????

Since it is no different than any vehicle, ambulance, box truck, U-Haul, shuttle bus etc that is built on a E-450 chassis I think you are just getting a bunch of BS from the local dealers. A Ford is a Ford is a Ford.. You are the first who has been denied Factory Service from FORD that I know of.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #6

Replacing the sensors is fairly easy, you have ground clearance to crawl under it. My 2018 would only go to the Dealer if I could not fix it myself. I am not going to leave my Greyhawk at the Dealer so it can get Damaged and nobody know anything about it. I wonder what the Hell the dealer would do if you were a RV Full-timer. You have found a sorry ass Dealer ,,call or go see another one if you want Warranty to pay for repair.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Arrangement????

Since it is no different than any vehicle, ambulance, box truck, U-Haul, shuttle bus etc that is built on a E-450 chassis I think you are just getting a bunch of BS from the local dealers. A Ford is a Ford is a Ford.. You are the first who has been denied Factory Service from FORD that I know of.
I did not read that they were denied factory service... They were told it would be a LOOOOONG time before Ford would do Factory service on their Jayco motorhome. We all know that CW does not do Ford Factory service, and Independent Truck repair centers have a choice on what they work on, let alone warranty work.

We found out the hard way that CW does not honor the extended warranty on their dealer-sold extended warranties. And for those who consider purchasing them, you won't know from the fine print - until you find out that the exclusions that have multiple meanings IE "pressure regulator" in the context of the plumbing system - gets applied to the electrical system as a charging system regulator in the engine, fuel system, power converter, AC-inverter, ON-board generator, Engine fuel system and exhaust emissions system... and then suddenly it is a "non covered part that caused the failuer of the engine, converter, inverter, generator or emissions system that they are not going to fix!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:38 PM   #8
RPR

Fuel pump went out on our 2018 under warranty. First local Ford Dealer said they did not work on motorhome. When I told him it was a E450 V10 he ran the vin number and said no problem.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Built 1/4/2019 but called a 2020 RV. V10 engine.

Well that's good news to me. The V10 is generally considered rock solid, parts will be plentiful and knowledge equally so.

If you can't get a spot in a Big Ford Truck shop - try small. Call around for smaller truck shops. There's a tiny truck shop here in our small town that'll be reasonable.

I know you're after warranty work.
If that necessitates going to Ford directly, then I guess you're stuck waiting.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:43 PM   #10

I would go to the closest Ford dealer that you haven't called and don't say anything except your check engine light is on. And see if he will fix it. Don't act like you know anything, just that you need help. If they say they don't work on stuff that big ask him to check it on his tester just incase it would be easy for him to repair it for you. If those sensors weren't too expensive I would change them myself and save the drive. Just keep your mouth shut and ask for help. You are going to catch more fly's with sugar than salt.
FishNFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:22 AM   #11

I concur.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:40 AM   #12

Quote:
We have a Class C RV powered by a Ford E450. 13 months into it at 5,000 miles I get a Engine Warning Light. Take the old sensor to the motor and get a P2196 and P0496 code. Translated that means I've got an O2 Sensor Stuck Rich on Bank 1, Sensor 1 and and Evaporative Emission System High Purge Flow. ...
Skip76, setting the issues with the warranty and long service lead time aside for a minute, fixing the root cause of the problem that is throwing these codes could be very straightforward.

Both of these codes could be caused by an evaporative valve which is stuck open. This "evap canister purge valve" controls when the fuel vapors are pulled out of the tank and drawn into the engine intake manifold to be burned off cleanly. Normally this valve is not open very often, and only when the computer tells it to open. If the valve is stuck open the fuel vapors are constantly being drawn in, resulting in a rich fuel mixture or other problems. Any decent shade tree mechanic could replace this one for you, if that is the diagnosis. YouTube has 'how to diagnose' videos aplenty for similar motors.

Old 04-09-2021, 06:38 AM   #13

Ford cannot deny warranty work. But, not all dealers are equipped to handle the huge chassis that's on an RV. It takes special lifts and bigger, taller work bays. We just happen to have 2 RV bays (just bigger truck bays) and do some work on RV's.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:46 AM   #14

I'm curious, what does Ford Customer Service say about it?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #15

Ford Motorhome Customer
Assistance Center

This 24 hour, seven-days-a-week Hotline was designed to serve both motorhome owners and RV dealers.
By dialing 1-800-444-3311, the caller has access to:
• The nearest appropriate service location.
• Assistance in scheduling a service appointment.
• Service Assistance for motorhome customers and RV dealers in resolving Ford chassis-related concerns.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:10 AM   #16

Lots of good advice here so far.

Personally I've never had trouble getting Ford warranty service. But it could be partly because there are A LOT of large truck service centers in my area.

Further, I've gotten pretty good service from the Ford "hotline". Roadside assistance is included in the 3-yr Ford factory warranty. They will even tow it a certain distance for you.

Also, as far as the codes go, it could be something as simple as a faulty or stuck valve/sensor, or it could be a wiring harness. That's what happened to me. I had a MIL that wouldn't go away; code was evap system related, so I checked out the indicated sensors. They all checked out fine, so I gave up quick and took it to my local Ford dealer who discovered it was a harness that had been damaged. Turns out when they extend the chassis, they plug in a harness extender; that harness extender had been damaged, mostly because it was not installed correctly. Dealer ordered the part, replaced that part of the harness, secured it properly and I was back in business.

From my experience, not just any Ford dealership will work on your rig because they often can't get it in the shop. I say "well, work on it in the parking lot then", but that probably creates an insurance problem for the dealership. They really need to have the vehicle in a bay to work on it. The dealer who fixed my wiring harness won't even look at my rig any more; they probably got in "trouble" when they worked on it the first time. Sucks for them, they were just trying to help me.

But the dealership who fixed my computer (I had a RCM go out, and I think it was a lightning strike that did it) turned out to be an awesome dealership, so I'll go directly there from now on if I have issues. I'm also out of Ford's 3-yr warranty now, so I'm kind of on my own except for the other specific systems that are covered for longer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
Ford Motorhome Customer
Assistance Center

This 24 hour, seven-days-a-week Hotline was designed to serve both motorhome owners and RV dealers.
By dialing 1-800-444-3311, the caller has access to:
• The nearest appropriate service location.
• Assistance in scheduling a service appointment.
• Service Assistance for motorhome customers and RV dealers in resolving Ford chassis-related concerns.
For the Canadian folks the number I was told is 1-800-565-3673
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Well that's good news to me. The V10 is generally considered rock solid, parts will be plentiful and knowledge equally so.

If you can't get a spot in a Big Ford Truck shop - try small. Call around for smaller truck shops. There's a tiny truck shop here in our small town that'll be reasonable.

I know you're after warranty work.
If that necessitates going to Ford directly, then I guess you're stuck waiting.
2020 RV doesn’t mean anything to a food dealer. The VIN identified year and date of warranty registration are what they care about.

The responses here are about the same as those posted for this issue by this OP over in the Thor forums. Just used a different user name over there.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #19

EvaporaTive Emission System High Purge Flow - Did you make sure your fuel cap was on tight?
EricJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:29 PM   #20

Tell me about it

Ford F-150 70,000 Kms needs new transfer case and it’s been serviced fully by Ford who didn’t diagnose until after warranty was completed .... Ford say tough luck ... needless to say none of my family will ever own Ford again my new bumper sticker is “Toyota Tough ..... Ford Flimsy” changed first one already it’s no longer a Ford product so they lost $80,000 on that and about to do the other for another $60,000 and they will lose that... “oh well tough luck to you Ford”
Ronso is offline   Reply With Quote