Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #1

Soundstream issue

I have a Jayco Melbourne with a soundstream vrn-65hxb. When stationary everything works great on the unit. As soon as driving, the sound becomes distorted with popping sounds. I was at a stoplight when an ambulance came by with sirens on and the soundstream unit picked up the siren and blasted it through the speakers.

Can't figure out a setting or reason for this behavior. This is the second soundstream unit installed in my RV since it was purchased 10 months ago.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
VMProfBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMProfBob View Post
I have a Jayco Melbourne with a soundstream vrn-65hxb. When stationary everything works great on the unit. As soon as driving, the sound becomes distorted with popping sounds. I was at a stoplight when an ambulance came by with sirens on and the soundstream unit picked up the siren and blasted it through the speakers.

Can't figure out a setting or reason for this behavior. This is the second soundstream unit installed in my RV since it was purchased 10 months ago.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I've been big into high end car audio for the better part of 30 years. I've seen trends, companies, and radios come and go. However, I have never seen a radio with a fail rate as high as the Soundstream. First thought- replace it with something better. I would call Jayco and see if they'll let you submit to replace it. If not, get it swapped again.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #3

Eeek, thanks for your response. Do you have any suggestions for replacement unit?
Old 07-22-2020, 08:10 PM   #4

I will always recommend Kenwood. I have been happy with it. That said, sit down and make a list of what you must have. For me, it was CarPlay and GPS. Then, find a unit that matches. I installed a DNX995S. Three suggestions with where to get it- if you like to fiddle with things, order if from Crutchfield. Generally, it will be more expensive, but they offer good support and throw in extras. If you know you are more than capable doing it yourself, look at amazon. Finally, if you wouldn't know where to begin, look at Best Buy. They always have units on sale and will give free installs. They do installs in class C. It isn't a super hard install- it's just a lot of work. I chose to have some one else do it. It took them 3 hours and would have taken me around a weekend.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #5

So aside from the soundstream not being very good, it turns out the backup camera includes a microphone and it is always on. Therefore as vehicles pass, it picks up their engine noise. Taking in the coach to disconnect the microphone. Hope that fixes the issue.

Not all Jayco installed backup cameras included a mic according to the Jayco rep.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:30 PM   #6

Sound stream is junk. I had one flame up on me. I went with Kenwood all cameras worked no problem..
street rod 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #7

I too have a Soundstream and others might very well be better but I found out that Soundstream has great technical service. You might want to give them a call and discuss your problem. Technical support is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM PST to 4:30 PM PST at (800) 832-4647.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:16 AM   #8

We upgraded to a Kenwood DNX 876S after the GPS quit working. Soundstream tied to tell me it was the location of the GPS antenna. I told them it had been working for a year perfectly, other than the character input issue that they could not resolve.
We are so much happier with the Kenwood.
Todd Ockert is offline   Reply With Quote