Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2020, 06:41 PM   #1

Storage for the winter

Well I am totally new just bought a new 2018 Jayco 29rv. I live in Michigan and will store this MH for about 3 months till the weather breaks. Would like to know do you need to start the gas engine up every month, and start the generator also? I use to have an older Ford pickup and let it set for a couple of months and had to replace all the breaks and the parking brakes because it set to long. Do I need to do this also? I am working on storing the MH inside and it is also heated to 55 degrees all winter long. Any help would be nice. Thank you for your help.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forum.

I grew up in Wisconsin so familiar with the weather you see, some farm equipment sat all winter without a start until Spring. Make sure to test the coolant and it’s up to the temps you’ll see, even though it’s stored inside, power goes out and it’s cheaper to be safe than sorry. A smart charger wouldn’t hurt for the batteries if you don’t have a kill switch. You can add Sta-bil to the gas and RUN The engine to get the treatment throughout the system. This will keep the gas fresh.
Attached Thumbnails
A97E24BA-41D7-4C22-B6FB-4D3638AD96DA.jpg  
Old 02-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #3

My 2015 Duramax sits in my heated garage. Prolly once a month, as long as the weather is decent, I'll get a fire lit in it and pull it out in the driveway. If my street is clean, no salt whatsoever, I'll take it for a few laps around the subdivision. Back in late october I put a fuel treatment in it to keep the fuel fresh.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:57 AM   #4

After you add stabil you need to start the gen-set and let it run for an hour under load. I have a 1500 watt heater that I run in mine. As was said above, you need to move the RV if at all possible while the engine is running.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #5

Congrats on the new rig and welcome to the JOF.
I put my coach in indoor storage in November and don’t see it again until April. It is not heated and I don’t have good access to it. After I winterize the water system I add Stabile and fill the fuel tank, run the generator and right after I park the MH I remove both coach batteries and the chassis battery. This is my 3rd winter with it and so far so good.
My plan for 2020 is to expand my detached garage to park my coach on my property and not have to store it on someone else’s terms. The benefits will far outweigh the cost and I am looking forward to it. Good luck with yours.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #6

If you check around you may find a gas station that has ethanol free supreme. It’s the only fuel I use in motors not used regularly, the boat, lawn mower, weed trimmer, chain saw, log splitter, generators, pressure washer and even my 1948 Chevy truck.
Ethanol will eat up plastic pieces like fuel pickup tubes, fuel lines gaskets, etc.
Stabil works great, but ethanol free fuel is double protection if you forget to add the stabil to something. Some items sit all winter, some all summer.