Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #1

Storage Questions

Hope someone can help with a couple questions. Getting ready to store my 2020 Greyhawk Prestige 30XP and was told by the dealer to use a good quality cover which I bought. As it will be covered for about 5 months and in Michigan, I don't see any way I will be able to start it and let it run for awhile. I also won't be able to exercise the generator as recommended. I will put stabilizer in the gas. I will be hooked up to 30 amp service. Any suggestions for a newbie would be welcome. Thanks.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #2

Welcome to the JOF.
Assuming you will be storing it outside exposed to a Michigan winter, then yes, I recommend covering it. Several companies sell covers in all price ranges. Buy what you can afford and make sure it is breathable and fits snugly so a loose fitting part of the cover doesn’t flap in the wind and cause any damage. Also, cover your tires to avoid exposure to the elements. A good cover will last about 3 years in this environment.
If your RV is plugged in for 5 months then check your battery liquid levels prior to storage. Check on the RV occasionally if you are able. If that’s not possible then you will have to wait until Spring to find out if your method works.
I store my coach from November thru March in an unheated garage so I don’t cover it and don’t have access to it. I change the oil in late September or early October. Then prior to storage I winterize the water system, fill the fuel tank with non-ethanol premium and run the generator. After parking the coach I will remove the batteries (coach and chassis) and store them in my basement for the winter. In the Spring I will run the generator after bringing the coach home and so far after 3 winters it has been fine. It may not be by the book but we all have to do whatever works for each of us.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. Already bought the cover off Amazon, over $300 so it should be decent. Another question for the wiser owners out there, only have 1100 miles on it. Should I change the oil before covering it? Seems like it ought to be ok and then change it in the spring.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
Thanks for the advice. Already bought the cover off Amazon, over $300 so it should be decent. Another question for the wiser owners out there, only have 1100 miles on it. Should I change the oil before covering it? Seems like it ought to be ok and then change it in the spring.

Yes. Put fresh oil in it. Today's oil is much better than years ago but you still don't want to leave the old oil with what-ever contaminates it pick up.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:31 PM   #5

The people here are very wise. Change the oil
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:54 PM   #6

Appreciate the advice.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:37 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
As it will be covered for about 5 months and in Michigan, I don't see any way I will be able to start it and let it run for awhile. I also won't be able to exercise the generator as recommended. .
Depending on the cover, you might be able to do both. I cover my rig with a Adco cover, and I can still run the engine, as the exhaust pipe is below the cover. I can also run the genny, as the exhaust for it is also below the cover. Just watch out for overheating, but it should be possible.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Depending on the cover, you might be able to do both. I cover my rig with a Adco cover, and I can still run the engine, as the exhaust pipe is below the cover. I can also run the genny, as the exhaust for it is also below the cover. Just watch out for overheating, but it should be possible.
We cover our rig (PA). I use dryer vent hose on the exhausts so I can run the engine and the genny once a month. It also give me a chance to refresh the mouse proofing peppermint oil.
Glenn268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. Going to try them.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #10

I add Sta Bil to the tank every time I fill up to put her in storage, and run it thru the generator as well.