Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Nardu View Post
I have a 2018 Greyhawk 31DS. Electric cable comes out through the bottom of a small storage compartment on the side. How/where would I install a progressive industries hardwired unit on this coach?
Most with hardwired install it near the converter in dead spot. The wires are easier to work with on that end if you can get your arms in there.

Personally, I have never heard of a portable stolen. My portable 50a Progressive has been in use for years. No problems. They can be locked into the pedestal with a padlock if you are a worrier.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #22

K9Nardu I agree with norty1 don't think I know of one being stolen.
Portable is the easiest.
Here is a good video of a install.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
anyone use one at home when plugged into house power

Yup !

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #24

The problem with the portable is, you have to go outside to the pedestal to see if there is/was an issue. With the hardwired, and the remote read I can watch what is happening in real time. At 430 when everyone is returning to the campground and turning on the AC you can watch the voltage drop and be proactive. Also when I walk in I can immediately tell if there was an issue while I was gone.

Depending on where your camping, in more urban areas or more remote areas, could effect your wanting/needing electrical protection. We typically camp in more remote areas of the west, where power is fed for many miles and lots of natural or man made issues can effect the quality of the power. Also many of the camp grounds are older with poor wiring even in the best of circumstances.

I would also always suggest using a water regulator also. Last two summers we camped where the water pressure was 140 lbs....in the mountains they had to have high pressure to pump the water up the hills. Working at the campground I can't tell you how many folks without a regulator had issues but several each week for sure.

It's not something to worry about, it's just something to be proactive and then you can forget it. EMS, progressive and a good regulator and enjoy your camping, knowing you've done what you could to protect your investment.

Happy Camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Most with hardwired install it near the converter in dead spot. The wires are easier to work with on that end if you can get your arms in there.

Personally, I have never heard of a portable stolen. My portable 50a Progressive has been in use for years. No problems. They can be locked into the pedestal with a padlock if you are a worrier.
I have been full time since August 2010 and volunteer 8-10 months every year in multiple campgrounds. My portable EMS PT50X (originally PT50C) has been hanging around outside since day one and has never grown legs. I have never heard of anyone who had one that grew legs either.

I think the theft factor is a concern that should not be a concern.

Has anyone on here had one stolen or know someone who has? Please speak up now. Some RV's are harder to install a hard wired unit into depending on layout, or in my case I don't want one inside. If it takes a hit and smokes, which has happened, I want it outside not in my basement.

I will never plug in anywhere without my EMS on duty and that includes my home base. I have 2 EMS PT50X's as well, one is a spare in case the primary one has to go back for service.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #26

I always use it even at house. I ended up hardwiring it in so I don’t have to worry about it.
rctamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #27

Always..never know...better to be safe than sorry.
adonofrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #28

I have a progressive industries hardwired, so always in protection mode. Wouldn't have it any other way!!
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #29

Since we have one, I use it everywhere. There was another thread about whether surge protectors are necessary and someone posted You don't need it until you do.
Bridgeengrjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #30

QUESTION:
I really like the idea of a hard wired unit. Do they need or should be replaced after a period of time?
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #31
Site Team

As long as they are working, No.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
QUESTION:
I really like the idea of a hard wired unit. Do they need or should be replaced after a period of time?
The one I have is 11 years old and has been in two trailers.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
QUESTION:
If they take a "hit" they will likely need repaired or replaced. My EMS unit's interior display may tell me if it has failed, or it may not connect at all indicating it needs serviced. As far as I know they do not "wear out".
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #34

Hmmm...I have a surge protector on my house circuit so I don't need to use one when I connect my RV up to my house. In fact, the past 10years of camping with a TT and past 1 year with my motorhome, I never ever used a EMS or surge protector no matter where we camped (didn't know it was necessary). However...on our last camping trip took (late November) we had an issue with my motor home where the refridgerator showed an "electronics fault" error code AND the hot water heater's propane ignition wouldn't work. Just got it back from the repair shop and both appliance's circuit boards had to be replaced. I am thinking that the last place we camped at might have had a spike which knocked out the appliances. Albeit, it is possible the hot water heater never ever worked on LP because I don't believe we ever tried it on LP...we always used it on electric.
Either way, I will certainly be getting a portable EMS before our next camping trip!

FWIW...I always used a water regulator.
/Z/
Imazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:58 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
anyone use one at home when plugged into house power
Yes. I always use my surge protector. At home, in a park, does not matter.
Loretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #36

I just checked and my 2018 Melbourne has a converter made by Progressive Dynamics (P4060K) which does the protection.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:23 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazman View Post
I just checked and my 2018 Melbourne has a converter made by Progressive Dynamics (P4060K) which does the protection.
You might want to read that PD4060 manual a little closer. These converters provide no protection. There's just a warning in there stating that they may not operate properly if the voltage is lower than 105VAC or higher than 130VAC. Progressive Dynamics EMS are designed to provide this protection. They will shut the power off to the rig if voltage is less than 105VAC or greater than 132VAC. There's a handful of other fault characteristic protections that an EMS provides.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
You might want to read that PD4060 manual a little closer. These converters provide no protection. There's just a warning in there stating that they may not operate properly if the voltage is lower than 105VAC or higher than 130VAC. Progressive Dynamics EMS are designed to provide this protection. They will shut the power off to the rig if voltage is less than 105VAC or greater than 132VAC. There's a handful of other fault characteristic protections that an EMS provides.
Thanks for the heads up! I read through the "Installation and Operation Guide for
PD4000 Series Power Control Center" that I found online, but I read no verbage that it doesn't protect.. nor that it does protect. However, downloading their catelog and finding PD4060K, the catelog says "High and low AC input protection". Unfortunately, that lacks details so I think I will have to try to contact the manufacturer directly.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazman View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I read through the "Installation and Operation Guide for
PD4000 Series Power Control Center" that I found online, but I read no verbage that it doesn't protect.. nor that it does protect. However, downloading their catelog and finding PD4060K, the catelog says "High and low AC input protection". Unfortunately, that lacks details so I think I will have to try to contact the manufacturer directly.
The converter itself is protected against AC high or low voltage problems but the rest of the coach's AC wiring or equipment is is not.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
The converter itself is protected against AC high or low voltage problems but the rest of the coach's AC wiring or equipment is is not.
That's the right answer. Your AC being the most sensitive of the appliances that can be damaged by low voltage.