Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
Cj2

Tank Sensors always show empty

I have a 2005 31ss granite ridge. I just bought it the fall and none of the tanks will read anything but empty no matter if they are half full or all the way full. The grey water tank is the only one I'm not sure how to check but fresh water i fill till it comes out of the overflow tubes above the driver side rear tires and black water tank I just look in the toilet to make sure it is full.They always show empty.Just wandering if anyone has had this problem before? Is there an easy fix?What is the best way to access the tanks so I can replace or work on the sensors? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brian.
Cj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:01 PM   #2

I would check on the ground wire and/or all the wires to the sensors. More like a ground wire problem.
2003 Jayco Kiwi 23B (sold)
1991 Jayco Cardinal SD 14 foot pop up. (Sold)

2014 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71 5.3L 4WD
stevenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:17 AM   #3
Cj2

Ok thanks.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #4
Site Team

Agree! I had the same problem and it was a loose ground on the tank sensor circuit.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
Cj2

Ok. Hopefully it will be a loose ground. Where is the tank sensor circuit located?
Old 02-25-2018, 05:25 PM   #6

Like the other said, probably the ground. I had the same issue. Back by the tanks, you will see the small wires hooked up to terminals that protrude into the tank. The problem I had was the ground wires corroded and came out of a wire nut. Once I got the ground solid, everything worked.
searay268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
Cj2

Thanks searay I’m going to start troubleshooting it tomorrow. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it is just a loose ground or corroded ground like yours was.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:10 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Im glad I saw this - I just got 2003 Granite Ridge and was filling and then started dumping out that over flow above LR wheel - but it showed 1/4 full - It did show all lights for a little while but now back to 1 or 2 lights.
Paradiddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Exclamation Ok - dug into it

It took me awhile to diagnose. I am a do it yourself guy. I saw some had posted a wire diagram for the KIBS monitor. So i pulled the monitor panel to check wiring. then I found that blue wire was the fresh water sensor. I split the wire and grounded it and all lights on panel worked. in fresh water column. So ruled that out.

I then crawled under the rig and its not as easy to see everything like it was in my Winnie Minnie 24. This full basement hides a lot of stuff. I was looking for access panel and then i saw a panel behind DRW wheels on each side. I pulled rs panel and no sensors seen. I have replaced holding tank sensors before.

so I go to LS and pull that panel with wheels still on and I can see the sensors and see the broken or chewed white ground wire. so I splice but still nothing.

I had my co pliot Mary go up front and i would take white wire and touch each level sensor and she confirmed all lights worked. so I believe that the ground sensor in tank is also bad. . I know its easier to just drill and put another sensor in and abandon the old one. I have a couple from the Winnie as I bought a bag of 10 from amazon. I will update
Old 03-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #10
CAG

Have you looked at this rather than fix something that really does not give good info. The factory setups are pretty much worthless.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Garne...p/709-1003.htm

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Cool all fixed

It turned out I was not full - ha ha - filled up and all sensors work proper.
I will post some pics from underneath

Old 03-17-2020, 09:02 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Have you looked at this rather than fix something that really does not give good info. The factory setups are pretty much worthless.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Garne...p/709-1003.htm
all RV's use after market parts - that panel you showed looks good but I may have to rewire and I verified the panel I have is still good and use able. although it doesn't have LP. Anyway the fix was hours of labor with no service manuals or as we say in the machinist trade "tribal knowledge" - the more you do - the more you learn. They are not very complicated vehicles but its like working on a one of a kind. The operator manual it came with was not very good on how to operate the utility area ( the water selections).

most of it didn't match and pictures some were mislabeled - I even downloaded a new one.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Question Grey tank sensors?

I was able to repair the onboard water level sensors - with panel behind LR wheels - I can see the Black tank sensors but they are working ok.

Now anybody have a clue where the grey tank is ? I can follow the dump vale and it goes up - this is a full basement model and cant see anything under neath. I checked under bed for access panel because I have a feeling its in there.