Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #1

Tankless water heater

I hope someone can help me out with have a garadi tankless hot water heater in our class c 2017 the heater intermediately works I get the beeps and no hot water I can see it sparking and smell the propane I can manually light it heater. I think I need to adjust the ignitor but need to know how thanks for any help
Bryanfire64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanfire64 View Post
I hope someone can help me out with have a garadi tankless hot water heater in our class c 2017 the heater intermediately works I get the beeps and no hot water I can see it sparking and smell the propane I can manually light it heater. I think I need to adjust the ignitor but need to know how thanks for any help
The easiest and quickest way to figure out what you need to do is call Girard's support line directly. In the 3 or 4 times I have had to call, they have been fantastic.

https://greenrvproducts.com/pages/how-can-we-help

Girard Products, LLC
1.866.559.1221 (Toll Free)
Open Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:00pm EST
Old 04-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

Get Jayco to change it out for a gas / electric 6gallon regular Rv water heater. They have been authorizing that to be done.

Just FYI the new Greyhawks are not using tankless but coming factory with regular water heaters. That should tell you something.

I think tankless will eventually be ok for RV applications but it just not there yet.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #4

I will have to check into that we have had nothing but problems with our tankless from the day we pick up our motorhome it's been in for service and was told the gas valve was bad and changed under a recall but gardi said they never had a claim on my water heater. I called the help line they think it is a bad ignightor but I could not see were the spark was coming from in the day light have to check tonight cand call back on Monday
Old 04-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #5

Im not sure if yours is the same as mine but I have a switch that intermittently trips. It is a white button located behind the outside panel. It is hidden pretty well and does not look like a reset button so you will have to know what you are looking for to find it. If you do a search on this site someone posted a picture of it. If I get a chance I will try to take a pic of mine.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone I think I found my problem I tried to fire up the hot water heater tonight and I found that one of the splice connections was arcing and not allowing the ignightor to light I respliced it I'll cross my fingers that it's my final trouble with this unit I'll keep everyone posted
Old 04-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #7

Tankless water heaters need special attention as to what triggers it to function properly. You need enough water pressure to trigger it to turn on. Also, there is a reset switch towards the back of the unit you may have to reset from time to time. I love my tankless and once I figured it out, enjoy endless hot water....
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #8

Biggest problem is water pressure, try turning on 2 faucets at same time
LoveMyCocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #9

A simple difference in terminology from "tankless" to "on demand" and the Truma AquaGo Comfort enters the picture.

They are expensive compared to most other WH's, tankless or not, but for those of us that have one, they are the answer we have been looking for.

If you truly want to stick with an "on demand", unlimited hot water solution, you need to take a look at the Truma. Have had ours now for a few months and they truly are what people say they are.

Work on 1/4 the water flow required for the Girard.
Eliminate the "cold water sandwich" when turning hot off and on again. (Comfort model/setting)
Easy "end user" descaling and maintenance.
60,000 BTU burner can heat even the coldest source water.
Can run hot water at the faucet literally at a trickle.
Can mix as much cold as you want.

I could go on, but you get the picture.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 AM   #10

Yep, I had Jayco replace that foolish "thankless" water heater on my 2015 31DS, with the Suburban 6 gallon gas/electric. I had the gas/electrics in my other RV's and never had a problem.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #11

Girard tankless water heater

I am to pick up my new 2018 317RLOK this weekend. What do I need to look for on the walkthrough regarding the tankless WH? I do not know the model yet, but am reading all kinds of negative comments regarding tankless.
Freeriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:31 PM   #12

For the walkthru? I can't think of much. We're in the minority in that we like our tankless.