Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #1

Tell me why you love your C Class

We have a TT and have been thinking of going to a CClass tell me why you love it.
What was the deciding factor to go with it over a TT.
Jeepyj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

We prefer an all-in-one self-contained RV.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #3

You can make coffee going down the road or start your generator while driving and plug in your instapot dinner is ready when you arrive
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
We prefer an all-in-one self-contained RV.
Ditto. Easier to set up, pack up and back up. Can get to the fridge and bathroom (very carefully) while on the road. Grandkids ride seatbelted in at dinette which keeps them happier on trips. Simpler to overnight at Walmart or Cracker Barrel. Easier to maneuver through gas stations.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:21 PM   #5

The Class C is much easier to drive.

When I had the pickup and TT, I was constantly correcting for forces affecting the TT (sidewinds, large trucks, etc.)
A lot of 'tail wagging the dog' action.

Plus, I could turn on the cruise control and go back to use the can. .

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #6

These are the exact reasons we have been thinking it would be better for us. Hubby likes the safety issue of being all in one. I like the backing up.
I guess we will start looking.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #7

As others have stated. We can load up and head out in any weather and when we want to stop, we stop and can fully use the unit without leaving. Basically I start up and drive for five to six hours and everyone is free to use the facilities instead of having to stop every time someone is hungry or needs to use the restroom.
Our unit is fully usable with the slides in so if we are stopping at Walmart or other parking lot and feel uncomfortable I just climb up front and drive away.

Then once at a site. I push four buttons and we are leveled and slides extended in five minutes. Breaking camp is almost just as quick though there is usually a lot to put away.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #8

Reasons for Class C: We don't have a pickup or other vehicle to pull a TT or 5W. We can fix lunch while driving down the road. It's maneuverable. It'll fit in campgrounds that a bigger rig won't.
We have a 2017 Jayco Melbourne 24M.......And love it........
For the two of us, it's all the space we need. More than two would be crowded...
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #9

We had a 32 ft 5th wheel and 13 years agos we switched to a 30 ft Cl C as D/W has got health problems and she said would have to quit camping or try something else. 13 yrs later we are still going. She lays on couch while I drive. Stop at rest area, I walk dog, she makes lunch and then on the road again . On longer trips, it might be 2-3 days and she doesn't even get out. Much easier set up and take down.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #10

Thank you all I wish I had asked this question before we bought the TT we live it once it is set up but hubby won’t stop anywhere except a campgrounds. When we are hitching up at home we are out in the middle of the road we are lucky it is a dead end street as we are 53ft long.
Time to look into a change maybe.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:09 AM   #11

We have had all the flavors of RV's out there...the Class C is by far the best for the reasons mentioned already plus:

We can tow our Jeep to the mountains and go exploring...can't do that with a big truck when towing a travel trailer. Your stuck driving that big old clumsy truck around everywhere you go. My Jeep will go offroad on Forest roads not doable by pickups.

We can stop on the way to our destination and the RV is cool inside already and can leave the dog for a short time if needed. We limit that to a hour or less just in case the generator or a/c quits unexpectedly. I plan to buy a monitor that will call my cell phone but haven't yet.

I like driving a RV better than towing one. Much easier and more comfortable.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #12

For a while I owned both a fifth wheel and a class C. The fifth wheel was awesome. Slept everyone plus everyone’s friends, plenty of room. Washing machine, built in generator, the works. The class C was 15 years old, no slides, pretty small etc. We ended up using the class C all the time and the fifth wheel only made an occasional appearance at the plate for special occasions. The class C was so easy to just get in and go. Set up and tear down was minutes compared to the fifth wheel. We slept in a billion Walmart parking lots on our way to places. We went to further destinations. We ended up selling both and getting a newer class C and haven’t thought about going back at all. The hardest thing about any motor home is traveling once you get to your destination. Either you need a toad or rent a vehicle.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepyj93 View Post
These are the exact reasons we have been thinking it would be better for us. Hubby likes the safety issue of being all in one. I like the backing up.
I guess we will start looking.
There are cons as well. We recently went the other way from a class C to a TT. Reasons below.

I have to disagree on the safety aspect though. I see a class C just a hair safer than riding in the TT. Up front? Sure the driver and first mate are decently protected. But back in the house? No. Even buckled in, those buckles are to the floor of the house at best. They keep you in place but in a wreck at interstate speeds, I'd rather be in a TV with everyone buckeled in and air bags.

Don't get me wrong we did it for many years and I drove carefully and never worried about it. But it's not safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
We have had all the flavors of RV's out there...the Class C is by far the best for the reasons mentioned already plus:

We can tow our Jeep to the mountains and go exploring...can't do that with a big truck when towing a travel trailer. Your stuck driving that big old clumsy truck around everywhere you go. My Jeep will go offroad on Forest roads not doable by pickups.

We can stop on the way to our destination and the RV is cool inside already and can leave the dog for a short time if needed. We limit that to a hour or less just in case the generator or a/c quits unexpectedly. I plan to buy a monitor that will call my cell phone but haven't yet.

I like driving a RV better than towing one. Much easier and more comfortable.
I can't disagree with this. Loved dragging our Jeep behind the class C. No longer have said Jeep so it's not a concern. Can rent them when out west

For the other reasons, easier to drive? Maybe. Depends on your setup and what you are coming from. Also depends how close your Class C is to its max weight and how well it's balanced. We've had a couple. I had to upgrade sway bars and shocks on the first one to get it to ride fairly stable. You tend to notice heavy winds less in a large class C than with a TT of the same length.

I love class Cs and it was a very hard decision for us to switch.

We had a class C of some type or another for 6 years. Loved them. Had them for many of the same reasons listed here.
- Could pull the Jeep and go explore
- Could pull over and eat lunch anywhere, or not stop at all
- Less potty stops for the kids
- More flexibility for the kids with TV and potty and being able to pick where they want to sit
- Self contained. We could pull in during a downpour and put the leveling jacks down and slideout out and go to bed.

Reasons we switch:
- Kids getting bigger and didn't want to shell out money for a bunk house class C. Tired of converting dinette to bed
- Kids getting bigger, wanted more room for those rainy days in doors
- Kids getting older, like to do things other than hang out at camp, love piling in the truck and exploring and can easily take dogs this way
- Kids getting older, like to take friends on local weekend trips
- Man weekends - hunting, fishing, SCUBA diving, drinking... we don't have to spoon
- Dogs - large dogs take up a lot of room - Dogs also get stinky when hunting, prefer to have the back of the truck for them on those days

That's our reasons for going the other direction. I don't think there is a perfect solution either way. There will always be trade offs. I miss my generator but rarely ever camp where I needed it for anything other than watching TV. I don't enjoy setting up TT in the rain and I like the quick mobility of the class C. But most of our trips we stay places for a couple nights or more and explore. I like having the creature comforts of my truck and not having to drive the class C all over for exploring. Didn't want to buy another Jeep just yet and neither of our other vehicles can be flat towed behind a class C. Not willing to sacrifice my truck to have a toad.

Good luck in your decision. It is not an easy one. Took me all winter going back and fourth. If I could justify the funds for a Super C with a slide out bunk house, my decision would be different.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
The hardest thing about any motor home is traveling once you get to your destination. Either you need a toad or rent a vehicle.
YES!

We broke camp and used the motor home many times to travel around. Got pretty quick at it, but it's not fun.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #15

DaveH all your reasons make perfect sense if we had kids at home but it is just the 2 of us.
The dog rides in the truck and yes they do stink after a day swimming after the ducks and geese. I will remind DH of that one.
I would gladly turn in my Subaru for another Jeep loved my Jeep. It would be perfect.
We find with our TT a lot of sway with the wind we have a Baja with high clearance and 16 in tires and it really wipes around in high winds. We got the Baja for taking off road but the wind on the highway is not good. We tow with a F350 diesel so towing is no problem.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #16

Quote:
DaveH all your reasons make perfect sense if we had kids at home but it is just the 2 of us.
The dog rides in the truck and yes they do stink after a day swimming after the ducks and geese. I will remind DH of that one.
I would gladly turn in my Subaru for another Jeep loved my Jeep. It would be perfect.
We find with our TT a lot of sway with the wind we have a Baja with high clearance and 16 in tires and it really wipes around in high winds. We got the Baja for taking off road but the wind on the highway is not good. We tow with a F350 diesel so towing is no problem.
I just wanted to lay out all our reasons in case it helps someone. If kids were not in the picture we'd be in a Class C or A for sure.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #17

We just made the transition from TT to Class C earlier this year.

DW's main reason was that she didn't like being confined to the passenger seat for the entirety of every trip. She still rides there most of the time in the MH, but she is not REQUIRED to do so.

Our son is getting to the age where it's harder to keep him entertained on long journeys. The MH makes that easier.

For us, the space is basically the same, so there's no real change there.

For cross-country journeys, we like that we can just pull over and get some shuteye without it being a big dramatic production. Our unit is completely functional with all slides in (that was a deal breaker for us if not usable with slides IN).

When I sold my truck that I used to tow the trailer, the replacement vehicle had to be flat-towable with the MH. We have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler (YJ) that's already set up, but I wanted something more comfortable for "exploring". So I traded the truck for a Grand Cherokee. I'm in the process of getting it all set up for towing, but we can use the YJ whenever we want in the meantime.

DW can make me a cup of coffee, or sandwiches, or grab a snack, or whatever and we don't need to stop.

When we get to where we're going, we just back in (SUPER easy), drop the jacks, plug in and we're done. The toad adds a little bit, but very little, by design. AND the rig is already cooled down because I can run the generator and the AC units en route. On hot summer days, it could take hours to get our TT cooled down. If we had kept the trailer, I had plans to rig our generator so that it could run the TT AC unit(s) in transit.

Sure, there were advantages to the TT as well, but DW wanted a MH when we bought our TT (we couldn't afford it then). Like the toad thing; it was nice having the truck available pretty much at all times. My truck was also a 3/4T 4x4, so that had lots of advantages too. Neither the truck or the trailer really took any kind of specialty equipment to work on; the MH can really only be worked on by certain shops. The truck also had a place to put "dirty" gear (like firewood, extra fuel, etc), so that was nice. And I agree that the truck was safer for everyone other than driver and passenger (no change for those two).

We used the TT to discover if we liked this "style" of travel. We LOVE it. So, the MH was the "evolution" for us based on how we like to travel. I can't say we'll never go back to a towable unit, but it won't be for a while if we ever do.

ETA: There are LOTS of additional, perhaps "smaller" reasons we made this change; I could go on and on...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:25 AM   #18

Yours reasons are very ligit that’s what I am looking for different points of view so we can consider all.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Yours reasons are very ligit that’s what I am looking for different points of view so we can consider all.
It may not apply to you, but I have a little story that adds to the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" in our situation.

Pulling the trailer to my dad's house outside Houston we got stuck in REALLY bad traffic. We were in the second lane of 5 lanes on this highway at a complete stop. My son announces that he has to go potty. Uh oh. It would have taken me 20 minutes to fight my way to a spot safe enough for he and his mother to go back into the trailer to take care of business. So she says "no problem, I got this. Gimme that Gatorade bottle!" She climbs into the back seat, unstraps my son from his car seat, stands him up and proceeds to "catch" his "business" in the bottle. All is going fine until she looks away for a moment and the bottle moves out of the "line of fire". She screams, his "business" goes EVERYWHERE, including all over him, her AND my truck!

She finally makes it back to the co-pilot chair after cleaning up the best she could and lets out a heavy sigh. "We need a motor home" she says. Looking straight ahead, I say "yup".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
It may not apply to you, but I have a little story that adds to the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" in our situation.

Pulling the trailer to my dad's house outside Houston we got stuck in REALLY bad traffic. We were in the second lane of 5 lanes on this highway at a complete stop. My son announces that he has to go potty. Uh oh. It would have taken me 20 minutes to fight my way to a spot safe enough for he and his mother to go back into the trailer to take care of business. So she says "no problem, I got this. Gimme that Gatorade bottle!" She climbs into the back seat, unstraps my son from his car seat, stands him up and proceeds to "catch" his "business" in the bottle. All is going fine until she looks away for a moment and the bottle moves out of the "line of fire". She screams, his "business" goes EVERYWHERE, including all over him, her AND my truck!

She finally makes it back to the co-pilot chair after cleaning up the best she could and lets out a heavy sigh. "We need a motor home" she says. Looking straight ahead, I say "yup".

You made my day!! LOL.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote