Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #1

towing

Hey guys I'm looking to purchase a car so we can tow around. My questions is what do you guys recommend as far as the type of towing. I see people towing in 4 tires, others with car dolly, wonder what would be the best. thanks in advance
espinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #2

We have had all the different configurations over the years and prefer 4-down.
We tow a GMC Terrain.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #3

What towing brand do you use and where can I find it if I decide ? thanks
espinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #4

We do 4 down towing. Our setup is below. Did the installation myself (thanks youtube!).

2017 Greyhawk 31DS
Blue OX Alpha tow bar
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited
Vergari59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergari59 View Post
We do 4 down towing. Our setup is below. Did the installation myself (thanks youtube!).
We did the same using the included instructions and previous wrenching experience using Demco equipment.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #6

Don't forget the other option....

We chose to preserve the ability to back up. We don't have to have a pull thru, don't have to worry about a place to turn around since we can back up as far as we need.

Yes it takes us 10 minutes longer to hook everything together and go...
And yes it takes 10 minutes longer to break up and park...

We also are able to bring our our Canoe, an extra 40-gallons of fresh water, 4-Wheeler or two vintage motorcycles along with the Toyota FJCruiser.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Don't forget the other option....

We chose to preserve the ability to back up. We don't have to have a pull thru, don't have to worry about a place to turn around since we can back up as far as we need.

Yes it takes us 10 minutes longer to hook everything together and go...
And yes it takes 10 minutes longer to break up and park...

We also are able to bring our our Canoe, an extra 40-gallons of fresh water, 4-Wheeler or two vintage motorcycles along with the Toyota FJCruiser.
We don't need extra space where ever we may go for a trailer.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #8

Your profile indicates you have a Greyhawk which will limit your towing capacity compared to those responding with Senecas. We tow (4 down) a 4 door Jeep Wrangler behind our RedHawk and have been very happy with it. The Wrangler is one of the simplest "cars" to tow as it doesn't require fuses to be pulled or the key left in the ignition. I went with Blue OX tow gear and the RVi Brake. I installed everything myself.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:23 PM   #9

Important to verify. Can what you want to tow be towed 4 wheeled down or do the front wheels need to be on a dolly. Not all vehicles can be towed 4 wheels down.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:11 PM   #10

We towed a Chevy Equinox 2015, it’s a bit lighter than a Jeep. Used a Roadmaster baseplate and rvibrake.
I said towed because I don’t currently and have the baseplate available at a reasonable price.
flemingmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:40 PM   #11

Check out the Motorhome 2018 Guide to Dinghy Towing. This will help answer most of your questions regarding towing a vehicle behind a motor coach. Everyone has different circumstances and what works for one may not work for another. There are pros and cons to the different methods but you need to decide what will work best for you. Good luck with your search.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #12

Be careful of what others say is ok to tow 4 down may not be in current year models.

We towed a Honda CRV 4 down a few model years back with no special equipment but Honda says the current CRV can not be towed 4 down. They changed the transmission or something and it will damage it now.

Read carefully about vehicles your wanting to tow. That will better tell you how and what equipment you will need.

We now have a 4 door Jeep Wrangler and tow 4 down and have been very pleased. Fun to take exploring when you arrive is a plus too!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #13

Also be careful of the engine type within the model/year. We found that our 2017 Ford Edge was NOT flat-towable with 4-cyl EcoBoost engine, but WAS flat-towable with 6-cyl. Some good reading...

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/w...ind-an-rv.html
http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #14

Download a towing guide from 2008 to 2018. A wealth of information.

Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #15

We are going to dolly tow our 2017 Ford Fusion SE, that is the only way to tow other than to trailer it. We haven't towed it yet with our tow master tow dolly but we will in June. So far we have towed the Fusion on the dolly with the F150 to break the dolly and straps in.....a little easier on the gas using the F150 instead of the Greyhawk.
2009 Polaris Ranger Crew
2005 Club Car
2011 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide
2023 Ford Explorer
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #16

We tow 4 down. Jeep Wrangler is by far the easiest to tow as drk98 already alluded to. I use the ReadyBrute Elite towbar with blue ox clevis and Currie industries baseplate. The towbar has a built in surge brake that connects via a cable to your brake pedal. This eliminates having that box in your car. The baseplate looks stock as it replaces the plastic mudguard underneath. We love our setup and it’s extremely easy to hookup and remove. 10 min job.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:24 AM   #17

drk98 is right. Jeep Wranglers are very easy to set up and are by far the most popular flat tow I see. We tow a 2015 2 door soft top that weighs right around 3000#. We use a Blue Ox tow bar and RVi brake controller. The wrangler is also a heavy duty vehicle, with good ground clearance, that will take some abuse. The only downfall is that it's not very aerodynamic.
Midwest Jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM   #18

We tow an aluminum car trailer with our car behind our Greyhawk. Gives us the option to take along the ATV when when we want.
richms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #19

We're new to the MH crowd, so I'm interested to read the advice of the more experienced.

Right now, we have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler that is already set up to flat tow. I set it up so I could tow it to the deer lease behind my truck. This is what we'll start with. For longer term, we're in the market for a Jeep Grand Cherokee as our second daily driver vehicle and primary Toad. I don't know all the particulars about the equipment we'll use just yet (still shopping), but I targeted the GC because I can get it with a low-range transfer case that can be shifted into neutral so that it can easily be towed 4-down.

I thought about getting a dolly, but that's just more gear to keep up with and more weight to pull (same for a trailer). Our Acadia (DW's daily driver) can be flat towed, but it requires a bit more work. I'm going to replace my truck anyway, so I may as well get something I can get a lot of use out of AND that I can easily tow 4-down. With this vehicle and the right "tackle", I can have it hooked up or unhooked VERY quickly. If I get in the unlikely situation of needing to reverse, I can have the GC unhooked, move the MH, then reattach the GC in a matter of just a few minutes. In 5 years towing our trailer all over the place, I never had an absolute NEED to back up while traveling. Sure, there were times when it was convenient, but I could've gotten out of the situation without backing. The goal is not to get INTO those in the first place! LOL!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #20

I have towed a Grand Cherokee with no issues. A 2008 and currently a 2018 GC Overland.
If you order a Limited with off road package or a Overland you will get factory installed front tow hooks that are removed for baseplate installation but eliminate the need to do any cutouts to the front fascia.
The GC 4wd system does not allow dolly towing per the owners manual.
Harbour35 is offline   Reply With Quote