Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #1

Transfer switch??

In the past I have noticed that when plugging in or after starting the generator that I would hear a beep sound from somewhere in the coach. I assumed it was the transfer switch (or maybe something else like the microwave) but am not sure since I am not in the coach at the time. Now I no longer hear that noise. I never actually "use" the transfer switch so I do not know if it is operating properly or not. Does this lack of sound when receiving power tell me that there may be a problem? I admit I am too chicken to fire the genny while plugged in to test it because my neighbor's switch failed years ago and fried all of the electronics in his coach. No thank you.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #2

Just a thought; do you have a dual fuel (Electrical and Gas) refrigerator? If my frig is running on gas, and I plug into electric it beeps.

If it is winter where you are at, and you are only exercising the genny, and the frig is turned off. The frig will not beep.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:20 PM   #3

In mine, the microwave beeps when it begins receiving power. Just one lowly little beep, and the display lights up. That's how I know my generator is providing 120V AC.

At least I think it's the microwave. I've never really given it much thought. I suppose it could be the energy management system?

Hmm, now I'm gonna have to check...

When I fire up my generator, everything is off that I have control over, so it could really only be a handful of things making the beep...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #4

Transfer switch doesn't beep you will hear a click when the contacts close.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #5

My Progressive hardwired EMS beeps after its 120 second de lay. ATS's have no audible alarms. It's never a good idea to start the generator when on shore power. These ATS's are low budget and the circuit board sometime doesn't allow long enough delay between switching power sources and will cycle slow enough so both sources are connected at the same time which then blows the circuit board up and renders the ATS useless.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
In mine, the microwave beeps when it begins receiving power. Just one lowly little beep, and the display lights up. That's how I know my generator is providing 120V AC.

At least I think it's the microwave. I've never really given it much thought. I suppose it could be the energy management system?

Hmm, now I'm gonna have to check...

When I fire up my generator, everything is off that I have control over, so it could really only be a handful of things making the beep...

I really thought that it was the microwave too. I probably unintentionally turned the sound off and became paranoid when the sights and sounds of my routine changed lol.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
My Progressive hardwired EMS beeps after its 120 second de lay. ATS's have no audible alarms. It's never a good idea to start the generator when on shore power. These ATS's are low budget and the circuit board sometime doesn't allow long enough delay between switching power sources and will cycle slow enough so both sources are connected at the same time which then blows the circuit board up and renders the ATS useless.
Totally agree. These ATSs they put in are not overly confidence inspiring. Mine went bad, and I'm generally pretty careful about not having a load when switching power sources. And I had inspected it not long before the failure troubleshooting a different issue and it was perfect on that inspection. Don't ever recall it beeping.

I run a Hughes Watchdog for my true EMS protection. But my Greyhawk came with a Progressive Dynamics power management system that will regulate the electrical load and shed various items from the draw if it sees too much demand. Works pretty well to keep me from throwing breakers, but I don't believe it's a true EMS like the Progressive units or my Hughes Watchdog.

ETA: My watchdog does not protect the unit from generator input; it's in line on the shore-power cable. So generator power wouldn't cause it to beep. And if I recall, the only "sound" it makes is a notification on my phone (it's bluetooth connected). Also, I can hear my inverter beep when I turn it on, but it's usually off unless I'm driving down the road NOT running the generator.

Anyway, I'm wondering if that Progressive Dynamics power management system beeps? Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's my microwave, but I've been known to be wrong about those assumptions before.

If OP turned off the "tone on press" (or whatever the beep function is called) on the microwave, that could very well explain why they don't hear the beep on power up any more... To test, re-enable that function on the microwave, fire up the generator and see if it beeps...?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #8

Well I did not silence the tone as thought. Operating the microwave still causes beeping sounds just not when I plug to power, weird. I guess that I don't care as long as it is not something requiring attention a month before my warranty expires.