Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #1

Air Conditioning

I purchased a new 2017 Greyhawk 29 MV a couple of months ago. It has one 15,000 btu air conditioner. I have the custom paint job in a dark color. The one air conditioner is totally inadequate for the hot summer days in south Louisiana. The Jayco Service manager said it was "not designed" for the south! I would suggest getting the option of 2 - 11,000 btu air conditioners if you plan on using it in 85 degree plus temperatures. I will have to address the problem before spring.
Other than the air conditioner problem we absolutely love our MH. Good quality and workmanship and the 29 MV has plenty of cabinets and counter space.
ccradeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #2

Hello, We have a 29w with two ACs. Just purchased a few weeks ago. It is 30 amp. and has a energy mgt. system. How does it perform, since we just purchased, have only used in 80 degree weather therefore I can't give a true opinion yet. But when we turn both units on full till, the coach got cold really quickly. No heat pump on this set-up.
Alvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #3

Two A/C (11000 BTU) Performance?

Considering buying the 29MV with two A/C's (11000 ea). How does it perform in the summer in direct sun exposure, versus the 15000 on the same unit?
goldenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #4

This will be our 6th RV, first motorhome. We've always had two A/C's. Any response to this dilemma would be welcomed. Don't want to make a mistake on this purchase.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #5

So we have a 2016 31FK with one 15K AC unit.

I too have been following the conversations on the new, two unit, coaches. What I've read is: get the two AC units if you're going to be in hot climes.

I can tell you the single unit does NOT cut it in full sun.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
Site Team

I would opt for it. I understand that both units cannot start at the same time but can run at the same time. That means more cooling than one 15k in my book.

I remember reading on here of a member who had two and explained how they work.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #7

No concerns about heat pump. The salesman started up the generator, turned on front A/C. Waited about one minute and turned on the 2nd A/C. We are so ready to go forward with this purchase, and just wanted to get other opinions. I'm not 100% on the location of the TV, so we're thinking about running a cable up and through the cabinet, and carry another TV on a stand placed on top of the kitchen counter. We had chosen the Coachmen Leprechaun with the same floorplan, but only one A/C, and the TV retracts when not in use into the counter. I really liked that, but such is life.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #8

Parking out of the direct sun will help a lot. We have a black Seneca and have worked at learning how to keep it cool. We just added window awnings for this reason.

You might check out this current thread on the Seneca heat performance. Hot or cold the insulation is the key.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...nce-43794.html
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:38 AM   #9

Keeping them out of the sun is one of the best tricks to master when selecting a spot. I was shocked on our maroon and tan paint scheme to see almost a 50°F difference between the light and dark colors on my infrared heat gun!!
Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #10

I have a Precept 31ul and just returned from a four day trip on the east coast of Florida. My two 13.5 k units struggled in the direct sun. We put insulated foil on the sun side of the coach and the acs ran continuously to stay at 75 degrees. I would never get full body paint in a dark color. $10,000 and a hot interior is a no brainer.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #11

I have a 29MV with the one 15000 btu. it does ok if you get the coach cooled down in the morning before the high noon heat. if you start the A/C after the coach is hot inside it will not cool it down until later that evening. One thing to note the 15000 btu unit is also an electric heater so if you want to heat on electric when connected to elect to save on propane you can. Though the electric heat does not work as well as the propane. Another note the 2017 and 18 models come prewired for a second a/c unit. if you get the one with only one a/c and find you want a second you can easily add a second. If you don't have a need for the electric heat, I would go with the two a/c units.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #12

I agree with Georgarv,I have a 2017 mv with one 15K ac and if you start it in the morning to cool the coach and keep it at a reasonable temp. it works just fine for my application.I keep my rv in upstate ny,it get hot up here also, but we use the heat pump a lot in the cooler weather so it works out just fine for us.I find if the temp.is in the 90s and I start out with a cool coach in the morning and set the temp to say 80,82 in the mid day heat it does just fine.Of course some like it a lot cooler,some like it like an ice box.If I lived in a real warm climate,i would opt for the 2 ac's.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #13

We purchased our 29MV in May 2017. Many small trips to get used to it (100-150 miles from home) and then one long trip (California --> Chicago --> St. Louis --> Nashville --> back home through Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona). Our rig came with the two ACs which at first I did not prefer as I thought a fantastic fan in the back would be sufficient. But both ACs running has come in handy more than once.

Trip through the midwest and then south west states was no problem, even with 105 in Arizona. Also, on one of our small trips to Palm Desert (next to Palm Springs) it was over 105 several days in a row. Unless you are staying way north I would go for the two ACs.
Andidoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andidoug View Post
We purchased our 29MV in May 2017. Many small trips to get used to it (100-150 miles from home) and then one long trip (California --> Chicago --> St. Louis --> Nashville --> back home through Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona). Our rig came with the two ACs which at first I did not prefer as I thought a fantastic fan in the back would be sufficient. But both ACs running has come in handy more than once.

Trip through the midwest and then south west states was no problem, even with 105 in Arizona. Also, on one of our small trips to Palm Desert (next to Palm Springs) it was over 105 several days in a row. Unless you are staying way north I would go for the two ACs.

Great news !! I live in Arizona and the dual A/C option was not offered in my early 2017 Grey Hawk 29W. One 15000 BTU A/C with a bedroom Fantastic Fan does not get it in 100+ degree weather. I am currently converting mine to the 2 11000 BTU A/C units. I am very happy to know they work well in our high temps. Thank you for your post !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #15

We have the two AC 29MV and the second unit is really handy. The units cool so well, even in the heat of Texas and NM, that at night we cool with the living area AC and have the bedroom AC set to fan only. Very comfortable!
Save

Save
CA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #16

I live in Oregon and we can get really hot here sometimes in the summer, so on my 2017 31FS the twin AC's are really handy. I'm glad I didn't get the full body paint for the very reason described in this thread. I do a lot of outside work, so instead of bluejeans I switched to white painters pants. Now I know why they wear them. So much cooler it's hard to believe. Same principle with the rigs. There is a You tube video by an RV salesman who presented top 10 mistakes RV purchasers make, and not getting a second air conditioner is in that, but I'm extremely heat sensitive. I wouldn't even try to use a fan in the back, but I know it works for some people.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
I live in Oregon and we can get really hot here sometimes in the summer, so on my 2017 31FS the twin AC's are really handy. I'm glad I didn't get the full body paint for the very reason described in this thread. I do a lot of outside work, so instead of bluejeans I switched to white painters pants. Now I know why they wear them. So much cooler it's hard to believe. Same principle with the rigs. There is a You tube video by an RV salesman who presented top 10 mistakes RV purchasers make, and not getting a second air conditioner is in that, but I'm extremely heat sensitive. I wouldn't even try to use a fan in the back, but I know it works for some people.

I just converted my 2017 GreyHawk 29W to the two 11000 BTU units. Awesome results. I live in AZ. The only way to go if one can order the option that is now available !!

Old 10-05-2017, 10:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprapim View Post
I just converted my 2017 GreyHawk 29W to the two 11000 BTU units. Awesome results. I live in AZ. The only way to go if one can order the option that is now available !!

Was your rig pre-wired for it? You say it was a conversion ? If it wasn't pre-wired how did they do it ?
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #19

Two A/C (11000 BTU) Performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
Was your rig pre-wired for it? You say it was a conversion ? If it wasn't pre-wired how did they do it ?

It was prewired from the factory. The items I had to purchase were: 2 Coleman 11000 BTU A/C units, two thermostats, two plenums. All else was there in the Motor Home. The installation works exactly as if it were installed at the factory ... which was not available to me as an option when I purchased my GreyHawk (it became available later this year). The total job was done by my Jayco dealer, who obtained the parts, information and guidance from Jayco, themselves. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
So we have a 2016 31FK with one 15K AC unit.

I too have been following the conversations on the new, two unit, coaches. What I've read is: get the two AC units if you're going to be in hot climes.

I can tell you the single unit does NOT cut it in full sun.
DITTO! - Arizona

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote