Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-04-2021, 05:08 PM   #1

Under step battery upgrade

I upgraded the 80AH battery under my step in my 2019 Redhawk 26XD to a 200Ah battery with very little modification. I just wanted to let others know that the Renogy Deep Cycle AGM 200AH battery fits perfectly! I had to use a grinder and remove part of the step for about 20" to get the battery to fit down inside. I also had to grind off the small battery bracket on the beams at the base of the stairs but overall it only took about an hour to complete the job.

I purchased the battery from Home depot with free delivery so if I have any battery problems I can just return it to my local store.

My question for others... Should I get a trickle charger for this battery when its sitting idle at home or will the RV charger be acceptable?
Attached Thumbnails
RV stair.jpg   RV battery.jpg  
Camp4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #2

If your RV is not plugged in for a long period of time then I would use a trickle charger. Mine is stored for the winter I remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:37 AM   #3

Is that where the battery was originally? Mine is on the driver's side on a pull out drawer. Never thought about putting a battery there, but thats a good idea.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Is that where the battery was originally? Mine is on the driver's side on a pull out drawer. Never thought about putting a battery there, but thats a good idea.
Yea, under the step was where the original battery was located which is why it was so easy to upgrade.
Camp4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4life View Post
My question for others... Should I get a trickle charger for this battery when its sitting idle at home or will the RV charger be acceptable?
If the unit is plugged in all the time at your house, I would think the onboard charging system would be sufficient. Couldn't hurt to check it periodically with a multimeter to make sure.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:41 PM   #6

I upgraded the 80AH LA battery under the step of my 2020 Greyhawk 29MV to two Renogy 100AH Smart Lithium (Lifepo) batteries. I also had to make some minor mods to the battery tray (removal of the ends) but the two batteries just fit.

As for trickle charging, do you run your generator monthly? If so, that's a good time to recharge the batteries. Mine will easily last a month if I keep the battery disconnect relay off.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:07 PM   #7

When you put in the Renogy batteries what other equipment did you have to change? I’m just starting this season and have a Jayco on order.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluztoo View Post
When you put in the Renogy batteries what other equipment did you have to change?
I'm not sure if you're talking about the Renogy Lithium batteries that I installed or the Renogy AGM batteries that OP installed. For lithium, I also added a DC-DC charger between the alternator and batteries to prevent overheating the alternator. My converter was PD 9260C and is capable of charging lithium batteries, but online feedback said that it would rarely get to the bulk charging state (>14.4V) to fully charge the lithium batteries. So I added the PD remote pendant (<$20 on Amazon) so I could remotely control the charging state. Check your converter manual to see if it will work with lithium.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #9

Thanks. Will do. Won’t have anything to look at for another month until I take delivery. You answered my question. Best.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 05:12 PM   #10

Hello: I am curious how this has worked out for you? I am about to do the same thing to my 26XD and was wonder did you have any issues with the existing system?
jjread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 05:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjread View Post
Hello: I am curious how this has worked out for you? I am about to do the same thing to my 26XD and was wonder did you have any issues with the existing system?
My 200 AH system has been working great for more than two years. We don't boondock a lot, but when we do this meets our needs well. We can easily make it through the night even if we have to have the furnace on. Typically have to run our generator about an hour in the morning to recharge the overnight draw. If I were doing it today, I'd get the newer Renogy version that includes an internal heater. That hasn't been a big issue for us, but would be nice to eliminate one more worry. Take a close look at the space to make sure whatever batteries you choose will fit. They aren't all the same size.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:28 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvspl View Post
My 200 AH system has been working great for more than two years. We don't boondock a lot, but when we do this meets our needs well. We can easily make it through the night even if we have to have the furnace on. Typically have to run our generator about an hour in the morning to recharge the overnight draw. If I were doing it today, I'd get the newer Renogy version that includes an internal heater. That hasn't been a big issue for us, but would be nice to eliminate one more worry. Take a close look at the space to make sure whatever batteries you choose will fit. They aren't all the same size.

Thank you! Yes, I found one, where I will have to trim the opening of the box, but no biggy! I've added a 440 watt solar input as well, and was just having second thoughts about if the existing electrical equipment could handle the amperage. We also are not big boondocker, being on the east coast, but will be hitting the beaches of Rhode Island this year, so your info is good to know!
Old 01-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #13

I used this battery,
https://www.vmaxtanks.com/SLR200-AGM...ry-_p_157.html
It is a VMAX 200 ah AGM and it also fits very nicely under the steps of my 2022 29MV. It is a nice upgrade to the 2 original batteries without the complications of going to lithium iron phosphate.
doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:32 AM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghauler View Post
I used this battery,
https://www.vmaxtanks.com/SLR200-AGM...ry-_p_157.html
It is a VMAX 200 ah AGM and it also fits very nicely under the steps of my 2022 29MV. It is a nice upgrade to the 2 original batteries without the complications of going to lithium iron phosphate.

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2023, 09:53 AM   #15

I am hoping to do the same, did the inverter that came with your RV work ok or does it need to be upgraded as well? I have 2018 Jayco Melbourne with the mercedes diesel.
Colorado Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Greg View Post
I am hoping to do the same, did the inverter that came with your RV work ok or does it need to be upgraded as well? I have 2018 Jayco Melbourne with the mercedes diesel.

I have not started the project yet, because of the temperatures here on the east coast. I would check to see what brand inverter/converter you have. Our was Progressive Dynamics. Get the number off the electrical panel, and see if yours will cover Lithium batteries. I will upgrade ours, not that expensive. but you will also need a dc/dc controller another couple hundred dollars to provide the correct charging current to the battery from the alternator.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Greg View Post
Are you talking about the inverter (to provide 120 VAC power) or the converter (to provide 12 VDC power)? Or does the Melbourne have a combined converter/inverter? Our Greyhawk has separate inverter and converter. The inverter is Magnum Dimensions 1000 watt and it provides enough power for the things we use it for, mainly TV and BluRay player. If you have a residential refrigerator you may need more AC power. The converter is Progressive Dynamics 60 amp (PD9260) and works fine for charging our lithium batteries. It was not designed for lithium charge profile but I added the remote pendant for Charge Wizard and can manually control the charge profile so it works great. The remote pendant (PD92201V) costs less than $20 on Amazon.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:46 AM   #18

Doghauler - this battery looks interesting. Is the weight an issue? Do you have Solar and does it charge this battery? I have a stock 190 watt panel but the specs seem to indicate more is needed to charge this battery.
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 09:52 AM   #19

Yes, I have the same 190 watt stock solar panel and this battery (VMAX 200 ah AGM) works great with it. It is heavy but actually less than the 2 stock batteries it replaced. I can pick it up to install it and remove it with no problem. The nice thing is that it fits the under step compartment nicely.
doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 05:10 PM   #20

One more question- does that Vmax battery stress (overheat) your alternator? Did you need to install a DC to DC charger between the battery and the alternator?
Dmarcian is offline   Reply With Quote