Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2022, 07:44 AM   #121

I have been using Starlink RV in Luray, VA for about 2 days now. It is working pretty darn well. My speed tests average 50+ Mbps to almost 200 Mbps. Latency ranges from sub 30 ms to just over 100 ms. I am unfortunately connected to a NOC in Georgia instead of Ashburn, VA, which I think is part of what is hurting my latency and speed. But I am happy. Much more stable than my 9-year old AT&T unlimited hotspot I can’t replace…every time I do they try to force me into a new plan.
sgtkersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:49 AM   #122

I'm streaming tv 24/7 with my Starlink and it works perfect for me. Can't wait to take it on the road out west. I love it.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:05 AM   #123

Ill probably just buy it and see if it works

Heading to the gulf in October, so should get lots of service there
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:09 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
So no tests in Flagstaff or Williams...bummer

But that speed looks good. I'm just worried about dropping$800 and it not work...lol
Where we live, they say rhere is no coverage yet. And almost everything easy has little coverage. Once within maybe 300-500 miles from home has coverage, I'll reconsider.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:32 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Where we live, they say rhere is no coverage yet. And almost everything easy has little coverage. Once within maybe 300-500 miles from home has coverage, I'll reconsider.
No coverage in most of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Their coverage map shows that there is, but when I call I find out there isn't. Starlink rep told me sometime in 2023.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:51 AM   #126

I recently got 5g phone and tablet, Verizon.

Going to test it up North, Williams AZ, I hope this week. If my wifi speed is faster than before, usually like 2-3g upload before, I'll probably wait on the Starlink system
I usually had good service in the Gulf area so wouldn't really need the Starlink there
But.....

If it's not really better, 5g, I'll pull the trigger on the Starlink system
Old 06-11-2022, 08:20 AM   #127

I just got my Microtik LHG kit based on this thread. Mine is not as easy / plug and play setup as many have described here. I have a Tmobile SIM that I inserted and is recognized by the router but I am struggling with internet access. The SIM is part of my business plan and has a static IP. I have updated the APN but still struggle to get Internet on my laptop that is directly connected via cat5 cable.

I don't have the antenna setup on a pole yet but do have it aimed towards the closest cell tower.

Many of the settings in this router are way beyond my abilities and many of the videos I find online are foreign in nature. I am getting there but slowly!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:57 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I just got my Microtik LHG kit based on this thread. Mine is not as easy / plug and play setup as many have described here. I have a Tmobile SIM that I inserted and is recognized by the router but I am struggling with internet access. The SIM is part of my business plan and has a static IP. I have updated the APN but still struggle to get Internet on my laptop that is directly connected via cat5 cable.

I don't have the antenna setup on a pole yet but do have it aimed towards the closest cell tower.

Many of the settings in this router are way beyond my abilities and many of the videos I find online are foreign in nature. I am getting there but slowly!

Update the router firmware
How far away is the Tower? Are u setting it up at home for traveling, or to use at home?

Basic setup was easy on mine, telling it not to be a hotspot was a bit harder

Maybe try a standard phone sim without a static IP, see if that helps

Slopoke is a GURU On this thing...maybe he will reach out for some assistance

The mikrotik website forum helped me a lot. I asked questions and got answers pretty fast, may also try that

I set mine up well over a year ago, so would need to look at it again to jog my old brain to help u
Old 06-11-2022, 10:32 AM   #129

I'm curious if anyone with mobile Starlink service has taken theirs into an area that supposedly is not covered? Did it work?

It seems like "actual" coverage should be anywhere on planet earth. Possibly other issues in why they open up areas a bit at a time to sell it, but mobile is mobile.

I'm one of those who has both want and need for internet. Couldn't travel until 2-way satellite was introduced circa 2000. Expensive and slow, but it worked. These days as long as I'm willing to restrict where I go the combo of cellular and WiFi do the job cheaper and faster. If Starlink would remove that location restriction everywhere I would certainly consider it.

A couple of early experiences: In 2004 sitting in the campground at Furnace Creek in Death Valley, I was using my laptop under the awning and a guy walking by did a double-take looking at me and then my roof and exclaimed "You're on the Internet!" I hooked him up with my WiFi and he was happy as a clam.

Another time was 2005 in Big Bend. A guy from Michigan came over to ask if he could use it to find out a football score - he was dying to know how his Wolverines were doing!
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:45 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBr View Post
I'm curious if anyone with mobile Starlink service has taken theirs into an area that supposedly is not covered? Did it work?

It seems like "actual" coverage should be anywhere on planet earth. Possibly other issues in why they open up areas a bit at a time to sell it, but mobile is mobile.

I'm one of those who has both want and need for internet. Couldn't travel until 2-way satellite was introduced circa 2000. Expensive and slow, but it worked. These days as long as I'm willing to restrict where I go the combo of cellular and WiFi do the job cheaper and faster. If Starlink would remove that location restriction everywhere I would certainly consider it.

A couple of early experiences: In 2004 sitting in the campground at Furnace Creek in Death Valley, I was using my laptop under the awning and a guy walking by did a double-take looking at me and then my roof and exclaimed "You're on the Internet!" I hooked him up with my WiFi and he was happy as a clam.

Another time was 2005 in Big Bend. A guy from Michigan came over to ask if he could use it to find out a football score - he was dying to know how his Wolverines were doing!

I do understand it's a long thread, but one page back Slopoke tested it here in AZ where it's listed as NOT AVAILABLE

See below, his post also has Speed test images

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Neither got their way... but I did get to use the Starlink in Roaming mode in Scottsdale AZ on Wednesday night.

This location is in a spot where Starlink is allowing RV to roam all over. It worked well for us. T-mobile was in second place with about 35mbs down and 4.5 up.
Old 06-11-2022, 12:04 PM   #131

I’m up in Verdi, NV and there are 3 rigs near me with Starlink…..they are loving it. One is Rv and the other 2 are stationary. Interesting is that they placed orders with a eastern address, then changed address after it arrived…..within a week. They thought the east would be a quicker delivery and it sure was.
Old 06-11-2022, 12:11 PM   #132

Quote:
I do understand it's a long thread, but one page back Slopoke tested it here in AZ where it's listed as NOT AVAILABLE

See below, his post also has Speed test images
Thank you, that is helpful. I will admit I read the first couple of pages of two-year-old posts and then jumped to the end!
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:22 PM   #133

We should probably start a Starlink Thread actually
Old 06-11-2022, 12:45 PM   #134

I am taking delivery of a 1997 Jayco, Ford E-350 Class C on Monday. I planned to upgrade the 1997 technology to 2022 technology. After reading through this thread (well, most of it) I've decided Uh-Uh, no way. Not worth it, I can do without. I didn't understand 95% of what was said.

I'll probably upgrade the radio to enable Bluetooth to the phone, for hands-free phone, and Bluetooth audio, for Pandora. I'll be happy with that.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:46 PM   #135

After struggling with staying connected for emergency use,,,I called and ordered a Satellite phone, $70 dollars month and We get 60 minutes of use before we have to pay extra at approx .25 cents a minute. It will work anywhere we in the World and if somebody back home needs us they can call us…For peace of mind for emergency use it is very cheap. And if you sign a contract for 1 year of service the phone is cheaper than a cheap cell phone $99 to $200 from the Satellite Phone store on line or you can call them in central & south Florida… (Ft Lauderdale location is who We use…….Gives you great peace of mind, it also has a SOS button on it for one touch emergency dialing…..And your unused minutes carry over to the next month….
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 10:14 AM   #136

Posted this in the Starlink Thread..ick it to see the pics

Quote:
So got my Starlink yesterday, same day I returned from camping near Williams AZ. Just set it up

Back history

Wifi there is so Up and Down. One tower for entire area. Ran my Mikrotik for my friend, it ran well even with 0 upload speed while she worked, but to use Roku TV it just won't work. Wifi Hotspots do for TV, but on a 6week trip it maxes out
4g vs 5g Verizon is not really huge difference like it is at my house. Her T-Mobile is much faster up there Download, but my Verizon is faster Uploading

Starlink
Williams/Flagstaff AZ as well as all of PHX AZ are a COMING SOON Starlink area, so keep that in mind, so RV is deprioritized in heavy times

This is my back yard. Like maybe 30' from patio to back wall
Originally I placed it where my dog is, seemed to not want to work....then moved to where it is now
Attachment 82180
My visibility, u can see the bushes
Attachment 82176

Original Setup speed, like 730am
Attachment 82179
Phone speedtest
Attachment 82177
Starlink speedtest
Attachment 82178

8am speedtest with it de-prioritized I assume
Attachment 82181

Pretty happy so far.

I'll monitor it all day...see if it changes
Old 06-23-2022, 02:20 PM   #137

RMNP. Didn't capture a photo of download speeds but it was around 60Mbps after five minutes of setup.
Attached Thumbnails
rmnp_starlink.png  
Old 06-23-2022, 02:23 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear View Post
I didn't understand 95% of what was said.

Give us another chance!

Tags
lhg, lte, mikrotik, remote connectivity