Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #1

Wall blistering

Jayco Seneca 2007 (background). Back wall has blistering on it. Bumps with very hard needle like points are occurring. Insurance and myself have climbed over every inch looking for leaks there are none. The RV lives under a very large cover when I am not traveling.
Question: is it possible to install bead board over the wallpaper? Has anyone done this. Or is it possible to paint the wallpaper? Wondering if paint would tend to crack due to motion when under way?
Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated.
Bayougirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #2

Are you referring to the 'crinkles' near window frames?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:15 PM   #3

No, but there are some of those. Comes from the movement of the vehicle plus age. This started near the bottom of the back wall where the emergency window exit is. Window doesn’t leak and the seams on the roof top don’t leak. I have put a pressure washer on all of it. This stuff is very hard and pointed bumps under the wallpaper.
Bayougirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayougirl View Post
No, but there are some of those. Comes from the movement of the vehicle plus age. This started near the bottom of the back wall where the emergency window exit is. Window doesn’t leak and the seams on the roof top don’t leak. I have put a pressure washer on all of it. This stuff is very hard and pointed bumps under the wallpaper.

Did you find a cause for this I have the same problem in the same location on my 2018 Greyhawk. I can't figure it out. I may just cover it with a panel of some kind.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:40 AM   #5

That pimpling you refer to is water intrusion. I just got my Greyhawk back from the factory where they replaced the wall, all the damaged wood because the window was not properly installed. Water gets in there, crystalizes, then freezes. That's what causes the pimpling.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
That pimpling you refer to is water intrusion. I just got my Greyhawk back from the factory where they replaced the wall, all the damaged wood because the window was not properly installed. Water gets in there, crystalizes, then freezes. That's what causes the pimpling.
Thanks for the reply. I suspected water intrusion. Since my coach is out of warranty it looks like I'll have to fix it myself. Did they replace the window or just reseal it? I called Jayco and they dont have a wall paper replacement, the entire panel 4" by 8 ft is how you have to get the replacement wood panel. Seems like a lot of work to pull out the panel. I'll have to check the wood for rot if its ok I may just seal the window and panel over the bad spot.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:24 PM   #7

They pulled the window, and resealed it. Luckly mine was still under warranty.
Old 01-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
They pulled the window, and resealed it. Luckly mine was still under warranty.
Thanks, I also have a Greyhawk 29 MV. Looks like i have my work cut out for me. Any other problems that you have had that i should look out for?
Old 01-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #9

I had to have the black tank replaced due to the shackle bolt rubbing on it, and the hydraulic pump bracket is being replaced in March.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #10
Site Team

I would obtain a moisture meter and check that area. Inexpensive and available on Amazon etc.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #11

On my 2018 31fs Greyhawk the spring shackles are outside the frame rail. And my tanks are inside the frame rail. So how could a spring shackle rub on my Black tank ? Just trying to keep it from happening to my tank.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
On my 2018 31fs Greyhawk the spring shackles are outside the frame rail. And my tanks are inside the frame rail. So how could a spring shackle rub on my Black tank ? Just trying to keep it from happening to my tank.
Rod pod was talking about a 29 MV, not a 31fs
Old 01-15-2021, 09:46 PM   #13

Quote:

I'm not trying to be a downer, but I don't think the model means much when discussing problems in these rigs.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Our 29mv had the same problem. Three weeks into our first trip the shackle bolt wore half way through tank. Had bolt cut off prior to wear through and used epoxy to fill hole. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Well, your pimples might be from water intrusion and freezing.

In my 31FS I have an area on my back wall about 8" by 6" about a foot up from the floor with pimples. Being curious, I slit the vinyl wallpaper open and these pimples turned out to be bits of sawdust and debris probably trapped there during the rig's construction. My guess is that the wall was not completely clean when it had the vinyl bonded to it. There was no evidence of water. I sealed up my incision, and have not worried about it since.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post

In my 31FS I have an area on my back wall about 8" by 6" about a foot up from the floor with pimples. Being curious, I slit the vinyl wallpaper open and these pimples turned out to be bits of sawdust and debris probably trapped there during the rig's construction. My guess is that the wall was not completely clean when it had the vinyl bonded to it. There was no evidence of water. I sealed up my incision, and have not worried about it since.
On our 2018 Greyhawk 29MV we have the exact same pimpling on the back wall, but not localized to one spot. I have searched high and low for a water leak but could never find any intrusion. I think Scoutmaster has solved the mystery discovering the dirt and sawdust behind the wallcovering. Maybe some day I'll take a knife and verify that myself. Unfortunately, another typical Jayco miss on their quality control.

Ed

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:17 AM   #17

Quote:
I had to have the black tank replaced due to the shackle bolt rubbing on it, and the hydraulic pump bracket is being replaced in March.
I had the same problem with the bolt rubbing the tank. I caught it early on before there was any real damage. I was doing a routine check when I saw that both the tank heating pads were coming loose so I crawled under the rig to see what was going on and found the bolt rubbing the tank. Fortunately, I already had a service appointment at the dealer and both items were repaired under warranty. More Jayco quality control failures.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
I think Scoutmaster has solved the mystery discovering the dirt and sawdust behind the wallcovering. Maybe some day I'll take a knife and verify that myself. Unfortunately, another typical Jayco miss on their quality control.
They don't make the paneling it comes already covered with the vinyl.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post

The Panel is a composed of an inch of Styrofoam insulation covered by a wood skin about a 1/16 of and inch thick glued to it, then covered with the wall paper glued to the wood skin. I have opened a number of the blisters and they are not wood debris. it's most likely wall paper glue that has crystalized. it's black in color because it has absorbed the rot from the wood subsurface. I am in the process of cutting out the bad area and using wood wall panels to finish it. I intend to panel the entire rear wall. i still need to pull out the emergency window and reseal the whole thing. The source of the leak is not obvious so I'll seal everything with a marine sealant including the running lights above the window and the rear camera housing. ultimately, I think it will look better than the wall paper.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
The Panel is a composed of an inch of Styrofoam insulation covered by a wood skin about a 1/16 of and inch thick glued to it, then covered with the wall paper glued to the wood skin. I have opened a number of the blisters and they are not wood debris. it's most likely wall paper glue that has crystalized. it's black in color because it has absorbed the rot from the wood subsurface. I am in the process of cutting out the bad area and using wood wall panels to finish it. I intend to panel the entire rear wall. i still need to pull out the emergency window and reseal the whole thing. The source of the leak is not obvious so I'll seal everything with a marine sealant including the running lights above the window and the rear camera housing. ultimately, I think it will look better than the wall paper.

Update on my previous post: I contacted Jayco and it turns out that the back wall is one piece(4x8) with the wall paper glued to 1/8" Luan then glued to 1" Styrofoam insulation then the whole thing glued to the rear fiberglass wall. Since my 2018 Greyhawk is out of warranty, replacing the entire rear wall myself was not an option. The water damage on my RV was localized to the area under the rear window. I cut out a section under the window extending to about 4" on either side of the window opening to find good wood. The blisters were in the ares with the worst rot on the Luan. I separated the Luan from the foam (not easy but doable with a wide blade scraper) because the foam was not affected by the water, and to remove that foam from the rear wall would be a difficult mess. When i removed the retaining bracket from around the window the source of the leak became apparent. First, there is no sealant on the inside of the widow frame or casement. Second, I could see daylight at the top of the frame, this is where the water comes in. Jayco's lack of QC strikes again. The window frame opening is cut about a 1/4' too large vertically. This means the rubber window seal barely covers the upper opening and there is no caulking on the entire frame-less window on the inside, or outside so leaking is inevitable. So, I caulked the inside frame with 3M 5200. Caulked the frame on the outside with a flexible, non silicone caulking. I paneled the rear wall with a light colored thin flooring wood (light weight) which closely matches the wall paper. I am fairly confident that his will solve the leaking issue and it actually looks better than the wall paper.If you don't have water intrusion yet, you will eventually, save yourself a lot of work and seal the rear window. Good luck if you tackle this project yourself. It takes some time, but it's not terribly difficult.