Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #1

was it winterized properly

I'm a newbie with my Jayco Greyhawk so I have a basic question. I took my Greyhawk to a reputable RV repair shop to be winterized. Later I noticed the only sign of antifreeze was in the toilet. The bathroom and kitchen sink seem to be as they were when I dropped it off--hand soap in the sinks with no sign of antifreeze. I opened one of the lowpoint drains a little and water came out with possibly some antifreeze in it. I thought the fresh water tank was completely emptied in the winterization process. Should I go back to the rv repair shop? They charged me $130.

maprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #2

You could use a flashlight to look down the sink drains, should be able to see some pink stuff that way. Rolling down the road will usually move some water around in the lines, I used to leave my LP drains open on the way home in an attempt to get as much out as possible, especially the last trip in the fall. The LP drains drain the water lines, there is a FW tank drain as well.

The owners manual will indicate the potential locations of the LP and FW tank drains.

Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:31 PM   #3

I did my own for about 5.00 took 20 min at most. My wife keeps telling me I need to start my own business. Two gallons of RV antifreeze.If you turn pump on it should spurt the pink stuff out the faucet
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #4

I am a belt and suspenders guy who lost some frozen fittings several years ago to the pink only method.

After flushing with pink antifreeze I also do a compressed air flush of the system.

If you have any compressor that can produce enough air then get one of these
Camco 36143 Blow Out Plug with Brass Quick Connect

and blow out the system one tap at a time.

A cheapo air compressor from Harbor Freight or Menards will work fine. People recommend between 40 and 60 PSI. I stay at 40 PSI and wait till there is no water, mist or gurgles from each hot or cold shutoff and toilet. Don't forget the outdoor shower if you have one ( I did ).
Dometic Milenco Aero mirrors
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #5

Yes I have do that too, after the pink stuff.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #6

From what you have posted, I would not feel confident that the dealership winterized your unit properly.

I suggest winterize your RV on your own. Your owners manual will tell you on how to do it properly. If you get stuck, just post your questions here, Alot of great people are here on the forum and will cheerfully help you along.

It will cost you about $10.00 in RV antifreeze and about a 1/2 hour of your time. The bonus is that warm fuzzy feeling you will get knowing that it was done right.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
After flushing with pink antifreeze I also do a compressed air flush of the system. People recommend between 40 and 60 PSI. I stay at 40 PSI and wait till there is no water, mist or gurgles from each hot or cold shutoff and toilet. Don't forget the outdoor shower if you have one ( I did ).
RogerR,

I don't understand your method of winterizing. I did our former travel trailer and now our Greyhawk 29MV by first using compressed air to completely evacuate the lines of any trace of water. Then I would add the anti-freeze using the water pump to fill the lines. When the pink would start to exit the faucet, I would shut that one and do the next, then the toilet, and lastly the outside shower. If I do it your way, it would seem to be counterproductive, blowing the anti-freeze out of the lines. I actually used the compressor on the Greyhawk this afternoon, but I'm waiting a little while to add the anti-freeze. Can you further explain why you do it your way? Thanks!

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:01 AM   #8
Site Team

You didn't mention if the wh was bypassed and drained.

If you have to verify that they did what you paid for, IMO that's enough to go back ands ask again, or learn how to do it yourself.
2017 GMC Terrain (future TOAD)

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:12 AM   #9

When I winterized my Greyhawk, I bypassed the water heater by closing the valves took out the plug and drained it. Then I blew out the lines with compressed air, then added the RV antifreeze thru out the water system. I was worried first time the pink stuff would freeze and blew out the lines again and learned it was a waste to do so. From then on I just left it in the system and never had a problem with anything damaged. I believe the RV antifreeze will turn slush but not freeze solid and expand like water does.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by che57vy View Post
I believe the RV antifreeze will turn slush but not freeze solid and expand like water does.
Exactly correct! RV antifreeze does not freeze or expand. It is the last step after blowing the water lines with compressed air. I never had any issues in the past 23 winters.

I do however use 1 gallon more of RV antifreeze than required just to make absolutely sure everything is covered. Cheap insurance plus the peace of mind.

1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote