Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #1

Water in outside storage hatches

2 outside storage compartments in my Redhawk 31xl are getting water in them, I'm thinking it's a door seal issue but the water is just dripping off the top surface of the storage compartment. Could that be from capillary action from the water seaping in through the top of the door assembly? Or could it be from all the moisture in the compartment and evaporating off the floor? I've fooled around with the hose but not sure I'm soaking it long enough, I'm also not sure how the top of the compartment is getting so wet.
I've checked the area above inside the MH and everything is dry.
Any ideas?
Jicama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicama View Post
2 outside storage compartments in my Redhawk 31xl are getting water in them, I'm thinking it's a door seal issue but the water is just dripping off the top surface of the storage compartment. Could that be from capillary action from the water seaping in through the top of the door assembly? Or could it be from all the moisture in the compartment and evaporating off the floor? I've fooled around with the hose but not sure I'm soaking it long enough, I'm also not sure how the top of the compartment is getting so wet.
I've checked the area above inside the MH and everything is dry.
Any ideas?
Let me know how you fix your problem thank you I have the same problem but seem to be coming from cheap seal around the door not install properly.
blackoctaupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:53 PM   #3

What are the weather conditions like before you find the water? Do the seals appear to be worn compared to the seals on the compartments that are not leaking? Does this happen while camping or while parked and if camping what is the temp inside?
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:14 AM   #4

the water on the top of the compartment leads me to believe condensation the moisture could of come in when loading wet items. Or a bad seal let moisture in. Open them up let them dry out then recheck them after a rain storm, or more likely when "driving in the rain"
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Take out the door-frame and replace the frame seal with a butyl seal. When this seal is leaking damage to the floor will be likely. Do not go the cheap way by just putting a beat around the door-frame - you'll pay more later.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:00 AM   #6

I had found, on a Winnie I owned, that the metal compartments would suffer from condensation. Especially when in full sun in the summer and then a cooler evening. Winnie put some vents in the compartments for me to solve the problem. You might have this going on in your unit.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:32 AM   #7

If the water is on the side of the bathroom, kitchen you better look for a leak. Last trip I had a small water leak develope in-line under bathroom cabinets. It was dripping into the bay on the driver side slide that had a covered access plate to the slide motor. Pain to fix but I had crimp tool with me so cut out and replaced dripping pex fitting. Good luck

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote