Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2022, 03:48 PM   #1

Water pump runs but no water

I'm de-winterizing. I only blew the lines out last winter so there was no liquid in the lines. I put in about a half tank of water and turned on the water pump. It makes noise but no water flow. I then set the valves to city fixtures and after a bit of sitting all the faucets run clear. I then turned off the water and tried the pump. No go.

Do I have to prime something? Is there a valve I don't know about?

Thanks,
Jim
AverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 04:13 PM   #2

Lots of posts searchable above.. Most likely culprit is a valve set wrong. Or a lot of air in the line incoming from the tank. Could be loose intake fitting . Plugged screen/filter from winter crud.

google "rv water pump troubleshooting" for an explanation of many of the problems.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 05:14 PM   #3
CAG

I cannot recall which setting for the pump and tank but you can probably find it by Google. I did have a YouTube instruction video but can't find that either so give it a search. As mentioned either a setting or you are sucking air someplace. Try more water in the tank, and open the kitchen faucet on the cold side. If there is suction and water it should come through there pretty quick.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:01 PM   #4

Thats good you ran city water, sounds like you ran all faucets to bleed out all air? Bleeding the system is a good start.

My system using onboard water tank with pump is valves set to "Normal"; 3-5. Yours may be different. With system fully bled, you have set your valves to use tank, now what happens with pump use (open 1 faucet for test)?

There isnt any needed priming that I know of other than helping the system with bleeding, and dont know of any hidden valve. My system does have a low point drain for the tank supply, make sure thats closed if you have one.

How did you get the water into the onboard tank? Mine requires the water pump and appropriate setting of the valves. Does yours use the pump or is it gravity fed?
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 02:29 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. Armed with all that info I'll tackle the problem again when it gets light outside.

Jim.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:18 AM   #6

I erred in my response in regards to pump use to fill tank, its an OPTION to use and maybe try to see if the pump can perform that function.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 05:27 AM   #7

I would use the power fill setting if you have it on your unit. Hook up your hose supply and turn the water on, then turn the pump on. This might be the sanitize function If you don't have power fill function.

Also make sure that the cone washer on the inlet is in the correct orientation, the cone must be out, not in. If the cone is in it could open the check valve and you will be sucking air instead of water.

By using the power fill setting and turning the pump on you are forcing water through the pump and lubricating the pump face and check valves. Once you do this and get water into the system it should operate correctly as long as the valves are set correctly. Be sure to turn the pump off first, then the water.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:13 PM   #8

Not sure what model you have but after winterizing my pump occasionally gets stuck - runs but doesn't pressurize.

I'll resort to flipping the valves - slowly - back and forth. Hooking up the hose, valves to city water - and fill the pipes that way. Make sure all of the drains are closed tight. Filter housing tight. Look for air leaks.

I'm never quite sure which one of the handful of things I do gets it to pressurize. And once it took me a good 15 minutes to get it going again.
Old 03-27-2022, 08:49 PM   #9

New here to the Jayco Class C but my water valve settings will allow for a city-pressure tank fill as well as a country-fill setting that uses the pump. But the prime on the pump can be maddening.
Sophie's Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:18 AM   #10

It is embarrassing to say that I did not know Jayco's definition of normal.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:13 AM   #11

I think it is defined in our Owner's Manual.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:08 PM   #12

Pump issues...

How long did you let the pump run? The pump does fill the water heater first and at even 6 gallons that can take a few minutes. Leave your faucets off and turn the pump on, do you hear it running? It's probable filling the water heater.
wwgilstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:22 PM   #13

Normal is using the water in the tank and your water pump to pump gram your tank. If the valves are set to city fixture ,and not set to normal the water pump will just run. You will not see any water at the faucets though.
Enforcer110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:52 PM   #14

Are your low point valves closed? Also remember it will take time to fill the water heater also.
hamerjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:20 PM   #15

Close the antifreeze suction line valve.
ElRey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 12:01 PM   #16

Not sure what type of rig you have or your controls but I seem to go through this every year thinking I have all my valves and bypasses in the right place as the manual is so confusing and not specific to my unit. Usually it is the bypass is set wrong or in my case the black or white valves are not in the right place. Sometimes as simple as not having it switched from city fill to tank fill. Winter drains our RV memory!! So maybe trial and error and move your valves to different positions. But do check your city/water tank valve position.
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
BLTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 05:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwgilstrap View Post
How long did you let the pump run? The pump does fill the water heater first and at even 6 gallons that can take a few minutes. Leave your faucets off and turn the pump on, do you hear it running? It's probable filling the water heater.
The problem was that I didn't have the manifold valves in the right position. Who knew that was called "normal"?