Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2021, 07:24 PM   #1

water supply line clamps?

all the supply lines are original to my 2001 Eagle. I need the change the shut off valve direction. someone installed it backwards [lever hit the floor, instead of being up].
my ? is, will small worm drive hose clamps 'squeeze' the plastic line enuf to seal it? or am I going to have to pay an RV guy to replace the crimp clamps?
any other choices?
thanks Rod in AZ
JohnRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Team

The price of the PEX clamps and tools are reasonable, and available in a lot more places. I bought a small set from Amazon in case I might need to cinch a clamp, or do a repair.

https://www.amazon.com/Jinwen-120017.../dp/B074K6R4D2

And a few PEX fittings in case I break one.

https://www.amazon.com/Litorange-Str.../dp/B07J53W5ZD

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:10 AM   #3

Screw type "hose clamps" don't work with PEX. When I have a leak, I usually replace the PEX with braided vinyl tubing, which does work with hose clamps. Overall it's less expensive than other types of repair methods. Also it's quicker and easier when you're on the road.

I agree with "The price of the PEX clamps and tools are reasonable, and available in a lot more places". PEX is the way to go if you use it enough to justify the cost.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRod View Post
all the supply lines are original to my 2001 Eagle. I need the change the shut off valve direction. someone installed it backwards [lever hit the floor, instead of being up].
my ? is, will small worm drive hose clamps 'squeeze' the plastic line enuf to seal it? or am I going to have to pay an RV guy to replace the crimp clamps?
any other choices?
thanks Rod in AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The price of the PEX clamps and tools are reasonable, and available in a lot more places. I bought a small set from Amazon in case I might need to cinch a clamp, or do a repair.

https://www.amazon.com/Jinwen-120017.../dp/B074K6R4D2

And a few PEX fittings in case I break one.

https://www.amazon.com/Litorange-Str.../dp/B07J53W5ZD

Excellent post as I have a similar question. This picture is of the water intake to our Fogatti tankless water heater. The view is from under the half bathroom cabinet in our Pinnacle 36FBTS. The water line appears to be a braided type of line, not a PEX line? Yet they use the crimp clamp. It is NOT the easiest location to work on it, perhaps pull the heater out of the wall? Our leak was not coming from the clamp connection or from where the male and female ends meet. I initially thought it was and, of course in the middle of a trip. ran to Lowes to get some channel locks to get to it to unscrew and apply some plumbers tape to the male end. I managed to break one of the "wings" on the female end as it was so tight. After it still leaked and noticed it was leaking from the back of the female connector and not from the male/female connection. The female end does have a gasket built in and I was totally dumbfounded at that point and resigned to keeping a towel under it and manually turning water on/off outside when needed. I took a shower and cut water off. A bit later my bride did the same, and now no leak!!! It has remained dry ever since, and I have the wood paneling off so I can watch it, but no leaks. Dumbfounded again!!
Attached Thumbnails
20211013_093931[1].jpg  
Old 10-27-2021, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
any other choices?
thanks Rod in AZ
Rod, why don't you try removing and reversing just the handle? It is screwed to the valve assembly?
Old 10-27-2021, 07:23 AM   #6

The tool and rings are cheap. I bought a tool from Home Depot, for less than $15 a few years back. I bought the cheap tool used for irrigation rings.

The rings, make sure to get the ones for pex. Irrigation rings look the same, but are slightly to large for pex, and you cannot get a good clamping force.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Apollo-1-2-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
"The female end does have a gasket built in and ..."

The next time you have it disconnected, put a "cone washer" in the female connection. If it never leaks again, I would leave it alone.
Thank You, what is a cone washer?
Old 10-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #8

I use PEX A and B all the time. IWISS makes a darn good tool for the clamps. If you use PEX B, use the crimp clamps. Not a fan of the pinch clamps that are in most RV's.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I use PEX A and B all the time. IWISS makes a darn good tool for the clamps. If you use PEX B, use the crimp clamps. Not a fan of the pinch clamps that are in most RV's.
Saw the kit on Amazon. It had many extra clamps in 2-3 different sizes. I will go ahead and order it, thanks
Old 10-27-2021, 01:28 PM   #10

Cone Washers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Thank You, what is a cone washer?
https://www.amazon.com/cone-washer/s?k=cone+washer

... have had good luck with cone washers for that type of fitting. In addition, they usually require less torque to seat.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #11

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/cone-washer/s?k=cone+washer

... have had good luck with cone washers for that type of fitting,
Thanks
Old 10-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #12

thanks all for the response. the braided hose sounds like a good idea. are the PEX fittings std. hose diameters?

after we get home, I am going to warm the PEX with a hair dryer, and see if I can rotate the valve.if it works and doesnt leak, OK. if it leaks, I had to fix it anyway, right.
Rod in AZ
JohnRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Screw type "hose clamps" don't work with PEX. When I have a leak, I usually replace the PEX with braided vinyl tubing, which does work with hose clamps. Overall it's less expensive than other types of repair methods. Also it's quicker and easier when you're on the road.

I agree with "The price of the PEX clamps and tools are reasonable, and available in a lot more places". PEX is the way to go if you use it enough to justify the cost.
Suspicion is purchase price of tool and clamps is MUCH, MUCH less than one Mobile tech, or one shop ticket? and MUCH, MUCH faster too?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:50 PM   #14
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
thanks all for the response. the braided hose sounds like a good idea. are the PEX fittings std. hose diameters?Rod in AZ
The PEX should be standard 1/2" ID hose. Those are the fittings I ordered anyway. I haven't needed to use any yet, bought them for just in case we have a need when stores are closed, or too far away..

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:59 PM   #15

Quote:
thanks all for the response. Rod in AZ
Rod…looks like we are neighbors. I have a PEX tool and clamps you can borrow. PM me your contact info.

Lee

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #16

I agree w/ JFlightRisk, buy the tool and do it yourself vs hiring= $30 vs ($150min?) and then in YOUR toolbox? BUT, not seeing your valve, can the HANDLE come off and be pointed differently?
Old 11-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #17

What can cause a mystery leak is excessively HIGH (CG or city) WATER PRESSURE, which can exceed 120 during middle of the night sometimes, mixed w/ an aging WATER PR/ and/or possibly a spec of sand/grit on PR seat allowing slow weepage or (likely, based on your description?) a cracked plastic NUT on the female fitting; sometimes, these cracks do NOT open up until the high/ higher pressure is present? The CRACKS are CAUSED BY SOMEONE using pliers/ tools on these plastic fittings vs (hand-tight =letting the rubber seal do its job properly.) The trouble you had loosening tells me that the pliers were used at some time?
Old 11-03-2021, 03:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
What can cause a mystery leak is excessively HIGH (CG or city) WATER PRESSURE, which can exceed 120 during middle of the night sometimes, or (likely, based on your description?) a cracked plastic NUT on the female fitting; sometimes, these cracks do NOT open up until the high/ higher pressure is present? The CRACKS are CAUSED BY SOMEONE using pliers/ tools on these plastic fittings vs (hand-tight =letting the rubber seal do its job properly.) The trouble you had loosening tells me that the pliers were used at some time?
I think you are replying to me? if so, thank you. The dealer first question was what is the water pressure. It was around 50PSI if I remember correctly. He said it shouldn't be over 60PSI. What is so weird is that after messing with it for a couple of hours and a trip to the store, it mysteriously stopped!!
Old 11-03-2021, 03:55 PM   #19

Jetlag, Water Pressure EFFECTS were ILLUSTRATED TO ME one day when I accidently forgot my regulator, and as soon as I turned on the faucet, RV hose/ filter connections were spraying everywhere; looking/ realizing that I forgot the regulator, I then installed without touching RV connections and turned back on... and all was amazingly LEAK FREE without any additional tightening.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:05 PM   #20

no it's not squeezing the pipe enough,we have bad experience from a dealer tech,who install the small screw clamp, and the result is we have the base storage compartment all flooded. don't take chance go with the pressurizing clamp to avoid trouble

2018 jayco ht eagle 30.5 mlok
chevrolet Silverado 3500 gas dually wheel 2011
pc35 is offline   Reply With Quote