Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #1

Weight in cabover

I have 2018 redhawk 26xd. I see cab over will allow 750 lbs when parked. My question is how much weight when on the road traveling? I'm packing for trip Mi to AZ for winter and I am aware of not overloading coach, however wife and I was to use cab over for storage but don't want to stress it out. Thanks for correct answers.
Usmade56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #2

Only way to tell is to have the coach weighed to see if you're overloaded on either axle. If you've weighed your coach before you should know how much capacity you have on front axle.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #3

Physics

I think you are wise to not want to overload the cabover while travelling. Going to the scales will do nothing to answer your concern over the location the weight is being carried. Reality is the cabover is a giant lever. Every bump you hit that weight is shifting and coming down on that lever. Depending on how that weight is distributed to could actually be placing 1000's of pounds of force on that lever.

So I guess the question is what are you going to carry up there? When my kids travel with us we always have their clothes up there, but that probably only amounts to 50lbs. If you are going to carry any significant weight up there, I would load the heavyier items towards the rear of the cabover.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #4

They install an entertainment center with storage cabinets as an option, so unless you fill it top to bottom don't think it would be an issue.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #5

For the cabover to be a lever, the cabover would have to be in front of the front axle (fulcrum). I tried to find a sideview pix of the Redhawk to see the position of the front axle relative to the cabover - didn't find one but it looks like the cabover is behind the rear axle. I think your worst case scenario is that 100% of the cabover weight is placed on the front axle. Without weighing you don't know how much capacity you have. Weigh with full load and passengers.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
For the cabover to be a lever, the cabover would have to be in front of the front axle (fulcrum). I tried to find a sideview pix of the Redhawk to see the position of the front axle relative to the cabover - didn't find one but it looks like the cabover is behind the rear axle. I think your worst case scenario is that 100% of the cabover weight is placed on the front axle. Without weighing you don't know how much capacity you have. Weigh with full load and passengers.
If I am reading the OPS post correctly he is well aware of his overall weight capacity. Which is huge in the Redhawk because it is not loaded down with much of the equipment a Greyhawk carries. I don't know the exact number but I believe it is well over 2000lbs. His concern is wether or not he can load that weight safely into the Cabover bunk.

I don't think his concern is how much weight he is placing on the front axel. My interpretation of his post was that the dilemma is wether or not he could potentially tear the cabover off while driving. The lever is relevant to the cabover itself and the fulcrum point is where the cabover has been connected to the body of the house. The cabover on a Redhawk/Greyhawk has no contact with the roof of the truck so the entire weight of the cabover and it's contents pulls downward over that fulcrum point making the entire unit a 4 foot lever. Hence the reason it has a 750lb weight limit when at rest.

All that being said, Grumpy is right that many of the cabovers have replaced the bunk with heavy entertainment units at the front. Probably about 200lbs of lumber and TV. So most items the OP is likely to put up there are going to be inconsequential. The one difference is that the entertainment unit is completely stable within the cabover so the force it creates is a constant. Loose items that can bounce will create a variable force upon the lever. Me, I am a bit anal, I would still put the heaviest stuff to the rear of the cabover

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:11 AM   #7

I have the entertainment center up there and my 150 pound son rides up there while traveling. Since he still lives in my house, I can only assume the front cab has stayed intact for the last 30,000 miles and hasn’t ripped off.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #8

Thanks

Thanks for great response. I'm sitting here and looking at my coach and very end of cab over is parallel to front axle. I believe all gear stored there will be about 350lbs. Heaviest items back of course. We are leaving this Friday and I'm weighing coach Wednesday after we are all packed. Thanks again for input.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmade56 View Post
Thanks for great response. I'm sitting here and looking at my coach and very end of cab over is parallel to front axle. I believe all gear stored there will be about 350lbs. Heaviest items back of course. We are leaving this Friday and I'm weighing coach Wednesday after we are all packed. Thanks again for input.
I'll just chime in that both of our large teenagers have been up there while we're driving.

So far, they haven't come crashing down on me.

Yet...
Old 10-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmade56 View Post
Weighed in at 1500 lbs under. 650 front 850 back. Fresh tank full and half tank of fuel. Gas weights 6.3 lbs per gal so I can calc that myself.