Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-30-2019, 07:43 AM   #1

What do you do in your Class C (or Class A)

So we're waiting for our Greyhawk 29 MVP.
We had a travel trailer previously.

My questions are...

As the passenger do you run to the bathroom, run to the kitchen to get water, fix breakfast?

Do you sit in the back and do work, clean the RV, sleep?

Or none of the above! Ha ha.

Thanks,
Chris
seastonemtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #2

Congrats! As the passenger, you'll be the one free to move about and go raise the window shade in the bedroom so that the driver can see out the back window, check the cabinets after that first turn to see what turned over inside the cabinet, go to the secure the shower door that was left unlatched, etc, etc. then you serve as the co-pilot/navigator and visit with the driver
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:10 AM   #3

When I'm pulling my TT, I'm glad to be strapped in my F-150, surrounded by airbags. Not saying people shouldn't do it, but it amazes me that people walk around in their motorhomes while cruising down the road. One good stab at the brakes and you're going down. And with a little luck, your head doesn't impact something on your way to the floor.

And in an actual accident? Have fun being airborne. While it lasts.

As a libertarian, I'm good with whatever you do, but as your fellow human being, I would point out that if you need to go to the bathroom or grab a snack, pulling over to the side of the road isn't such a bad thing.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #4

Strap in and stay put. There's lots of space to fly around in an accident - even worse than in a car!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #5

For many years, we had a class B before our current TT and a homemade camper-van before the class B; point being we've spent MANY miles in small motorhomes.

Our experience, the passenger was rarely not strapped into the passenger seat when going down the road. In virtually every situation, when the passenger needed a bathroom break, so did the driver. For a meal etc., it was a good time to stop, for both to stretch our legs, and a bathroom break.

The DW is the 'nagivator' and does a better job at that than I do. She loves to read but gets car sick if she tries to read when going down the road so any kind of 'work' is out. Of course there were times when the passenger would get out of the seat to do something (secure a window, open a vent, grab a cold soda, etc.), but it was only when the road was smooth and level and, of course, the passenger could do it with just one hand so the other hand could always hold on.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:17 AM   #6

Keep in mind in most (maybe all) states, it would be illegal wander about the motorhome not belted in. Not saying it hasn't happened, but if the constabulary sees it, you may get a substantial fine.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:00 AM   #7

I recently pulled into a campground and the guy next to me was trying to quickly pack up and he looked kind of distraught. Turns out as they were arriving his wife went to the kitchen of the large class A to do something as he had to make a stop. He just returned from the ER as his wife fractured her hip, which in many cases is a life altering event.

Unless it is an emergency, like I really need a snack, DW stays belted in her seat. In the very rare times she gets up, I am extra cautious and will tell her if I am braking or coming to a bump in the road. Too much can happen to quickly.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:20 AM   #8

Thank you all for very good advice!

We are definitely rule followers!

My DH has to use the facilities much more than I so I know we'll be pulling over for that.

I do see myself buckled in, doing some "work" (we're retired) and then grabbing a water and heading to the cab on smooth roads.

I'm a great co-pilot and with the TT my help has been needed a lot!!

Really just curious what others do!
Chris
seastonemtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:39 AM   #9

We usually pull over only in a emergency does any one wander around while under way.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:31 PM   #10

While Stacy will get up and make a run for the bathroom at least once between stops that i make, her travels from the passenger seat are very limited beyond that. I always ask her to wait until we have a long straight stretch without any visible bridges ahead.. and she makes her way into the back. It does not take much to fall down... be careful.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:15 PM   #11

For some reason, the thought of sitting on the can while rolling along at 60+ mph and the driver having to dynamite the brakes, just scares the poo out of me! Especially not being able to remain seated during the entire performance!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
For some reason, the thought of sitting on the can while rolling along at 60+ mph and the driver having to dynamite the brakes, just scares the poo out of me! Especially not being able to remain seated during the entire performance!

Murff

Yup. A whole new meaning for 'skid marks.'
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote