Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #21

I did a brief search for an aftermarket airbag disabler switch just to see what I could see. There is a switch out there (Dorman) that you can get, but the fitment spec only lists up to like 2009. And according to the images for the switch, the port would not match that plug; pin positions are slightly different.

ETA: And Ron's comment about the computer jives with what my dad was saying about it not being quite that simple...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #22

Most modern vehicles with airbags have occupant sensors that detect weight. If the sensor picks up something in the seat that doesn't meet minimum weight, the airbag will self disable. There is usually a light that comes on to tell you as well.

There would be a yellow connector under the seat going to the seat bottom with wiring if it does have an occupant sensor. Can always throw 50lbs or so in the passenger seat to see if it trips the switch as well.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglght View Post
Most modern vehicles with airbags have occupant sensors that detect weight. If the sensor picks up something in the seat that doesn't meet minimum weight, the airbag will self disable. There is usually a light that comes on to tell you as well.

There would be a yellow connector under the seat going to the seat bottom with wiring if it does have an occupant sensor. Can always throw 50lbs or so in the passenger seat to see if it trips the switch as well.
In my experience, it doesn't take nearly 50 lbs to activate the airbag. I think my son and his seat would probably be enough weight to ensure the airbag stayed on if my rig even has the sensor.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #24

Don't forget USB-A is not 12v DC
Old 03-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #25

The button on the plate was an auxiliary input for a radio no longer used. It has a plastic pin in it which makes it look like a switch...it’s not. The cover plate the button is in, is heat staked so it is not easy to remove. As you described there are a couple of wire harness plugs that clip in to the back of the cover. This is only to prevent rattles. Hope this helps.
Snapchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #26

Well there is a plug connector for adding trailer brake on the E450 chassis that can be found usually above accelerator pedal and sometimes it can be higher up behind dash.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #27

I use a cord from my iPhone (speakerport) that fits the little round port to play my iPhone music in my old Toyota radio
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgibbster View Post
Well there is a plug connector for adding trailer brake on the E450 chassis that can be found usually above accelerator pedal and sometimes it can be higher up behind dash.
Yeah, I've been looking for that. It's not up behind the 'coin holder' as some have suggested.

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #29

There are many vehicles that have all the wiring for certain items just not the item(s) on each end, meaning something like the switch and the fog light assemblies or like my Frontier that didn’t come with tow package, but I put in a receiver hitch, 7 way plug and brake controller without cutting any wires. There was a connector under the dash for brake controller and 2 connectors back at the rear bumper for the 7 way hookup.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt6283 View Post
Yeah, I've been looking for that. It's not up behind the 'coin holder' as some have suggested.

I also found mine just above the brake pedal, but found while searching the subject that not all the E450 chassis have the connector. Its rectangular and about an inch long red plastic with 4 wires.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote