Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2022, 08:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gchan View Post
Thanks grumpy, I kinda thought that was the case. Don’t really like the idea of driving on slick snow covered roads but never thought about the cables for the tires. Going to have to look into them. Thanks again
Security Company Z-chain Available on Amazon.

I'd get some for the front too. I drove emergency vehicles for 40+ years, they are a help, especially when trying to escape established ruts or dodging an unexpected obstacle.

Put them on juist before you really 'need' them.

Watch the company installation video- much easier than trying to figure them out.

Just find your size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:11 PM   #22

I don't know where you're located, but if you buy tire chains at Les Schwab, you can return them in the spring if they're unused.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 12:49 PM   #23
TLF

Tires - I know one trip is unlikely to get you to swap tires out that are good in the snow, but it may be cheaper than a crash, and if you intend to do it regularly, get tires meant for mud and snow (and noise) vs smooth quiet freeway miles and miles and miles. Or instead take your 4wd/AWD vehicle and get a hotel (every powder ski trip I want to take the RV, I end up taking the truck and booking a room). People in Central Oregon that take their RV to the mountain regularly have AT tires.

https://tripcheck.com/ is your friend when driving the passes in Oregon, in case you didn't already know. Use the cameras and have an alternate route (via the Dalles vs Government Pass)

I have chains, have never used them on the RV. I also have the Anderson Rapid Jack (crescent shaped leveling blocks) to drive the inside rears onto to throw chains on (drive up w/ inside tires to get outside tires off the ground).

If it's icy enough to warrant chains on your front tires in order to steer, time to chill for the night and wait for ODOT to sand or cinder the roads.
TLF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chains, dually, snow, tire, wheels