Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2018, 05:57 PM   #1

Winterizing problem

Hello All. I have a 2018 Redhawk 26XD. I tried to winterize it today - didn't work, not sure what the problem is. I followed the directions in the manual so I'm pretty sure I did it correctly. I emptied the water heater, drained the tanks, removed the water filter and bypassed the water heater, closed all the drains. I set the dials on the control panel for Sanitize/Winterize and connected the hose to a gallon of RV antifreeze. I turned on the water pump and it drew in about 1 quart of antifreeze and then stopped siphoning anymore. I opened up the bathroom faucet and nothing came out but I could hear the water gurgling, I tried other faucets with the same result. About 30 minutes later water and antifreeze came out of 1 faucet. I kept it running for about an hour and only a few additional ounces of antifreeze were drawn in but no more water/antifreeze came out of the faucet. The RV is fairly level - 2 or 3 degrees off. I kept checking the water pump and it continuously ran and did not get hot. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

Sounds like your water heater wasn't bypassed correctly. Are you sure all the valves are in the proper position? Mine has three.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #3

Thanks Isaacs. Pretty sure I have them right; Hot and Cold valves are perpendicular to the hoses and the bypass is parallel. I did keep the water heater plug out for about 1/2 the time while I was doing this as well.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:06 PM   #4

Lift the jug of anti-freeze at least 2 ft above ground level, and crack open a low point drain valve. Start your pump and it should pick up a suction, then shut the low point drain valve.
Gord60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #5

Turn the inlet washer around, point facing in to open the check valve, try again.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #6

Last year on my 26 xd I had to turn the inlet filter around to get mine to suction the antifreeze. also raise the jug.
Lillys Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #7

Honestly, it sounds like the water heater tank, got your antifreeze. I would check the bypass valves, and open the drain plug.

I have accidentally done this. Just need another jug, once the valves are set.

Also make sure, to flip the screen around, which pushes a valveopen to allow the antifreeze to be drawn in.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #8

Turn the washer screen around to open the valve
gam727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #9

Thanks All. Flipping the screen did the trick. I know I didn't see that in the manual and I can't see how it would work without flipping the screen. How did everyone find out about that?
Old 10-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #10

jdux, it's not in the manual. Why? Who knows. I had the same issues and learned the answer on here by asking the same question. I'd like to take these recurring issues every owner has to a board meeting and smack some engineer / manual writer in the noggin.

2016 Melbourne 24K
2013 Kia Soul Toad
2003 Honda Goldwing
Dnbgould is offline   Reply With Quote