Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 201
Portable directv (sd) dish

Practically new (used twice for 6 days total) portable DirecTV dish (SD only) with tripod, 75' (50' & 25') coax cable, thru-window/door connection, satellite finder, compass, etc. Sold my 154BH and have no need for it. NOTE: purchase must have DirecTV subscription and receiver; I used my home HD receiver configured to receive SD signals. $100 OBO. (541) 673 5240. I was trying to get this into the Accessories For Sale tab - perhaps my bad - oh well.
JEFF1963 is offline  
Old 01-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dale Hollow Lake Tn/Ky
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
Practically new (used twice for 6 days total) portable DirecTV dish (SD only) with tripod, 75' (50' & 25') coax cable, thru-window/door connection, satellite finder, compass, etc. Sold my 154BH and have no need for it. NOTE: purchase must have DirecTV subscription and receiver; I used my home HD receiver configured to receive SD signals. $100 OBO. (541) 673 5240. I was trying to get this into the Accessories For Sale tab - perhaps my bad - oh well.
Sorry to say, but a tripod / SD dish is pretty much toast. Everything is HD except Direct mobile autotune are SD only. Pretty much everything with Dish is HD. The tripod is maybe worth $25 but the dish itself is junk.
Bassdogs is offline  
Old 01-27-2017, 07:06 AM   #3
Site Team
 
norty1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: James Island, SC
Posts: 21,144
I see a load of tripod dishes on the side of the road around here. Also many don't go to the trouble of even removing them from the roof.

If the portable direct antenna was not so expensive, I would get one but for now it's out of my price range for the camping we do. I already have it at home so would need a receiver for the road.
__________________
Moderator
2011- 351RLTS Eagle, MorRyde suspension/pin box,
2017- F350 6.7 PSD Lariat FX4,SRW, SB,CC
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Andersen Ultimate 3220
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline  
Old 01-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
dgantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Full time in our RV
Posts: 118
Where ru located?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
dgantz is offline  
Old 01-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
edatlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville - Home Base
Posts: 3,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I see a load of tripod dishes on the side of the road around here. Also many don't go to the trouble of even removing them from the roof.

If the portable direct antenna was not so expensive, I would get one but for now it's out of my price range for the camping we do. I already have it at home so would need a receiver for the road.
Keep your eyes open for a Slimline DirecTV Dish at a home or rental propertly. DirecTV still says if you move "take your receiver and leave the dish". When a new owner/renter moves in DirecTV always installs a new antenna. That "old antenna" is available for the taking if you ask the home owner, etc. I use a Slimline and a tripod from Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod and it has worked great for over six years, but I was getting concerned about my dish. It has been up and down so many times I felt I needed a spare. Not to carry around with me all the time, but just to have it needed. About the time I started thinking about this my neighbor at my home base moved. His virtually brand new Slimline dish is now in my home base garage ready when needed.

The tripod I use is a bit pricey, but worth it in my book.
__________________
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline  
Old 01-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dale Hollow Lake Tn/Ky
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Keep your eyes open for a Slimline DirecTV Dish at a home or rental propertly. DirecTV still says if you move "take your receiver and leave the dish". The tripod I use is a bit pricey, but worth it in my book.
Dish does the same thing. Leaving the dish when you move is and incentive to the new owner to sign up for Sat Tv even though Direct or Dish will install a new dish when a new customer signs up.

I am a Dish customer [was direct back in the day but that is another story] and use a Pathway 2x to feed HD to both receivers in my White Hawk. SD for me is like going back to black and white. Why have nice new HD flat screens in your RV and be limited to SD because that is all that you can get from an auto mobile direct tv antennae? You can get HD with the fixed roof units and the appropriate HD tripod mounted dish if you are a Direct customer. Dish offers HD thru its mobile auto units.
Bassdogs is offline  
Old 01-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 201
All that portable directv sat dish stuff

Bassdog - if SD, et al, is toast why does mine work so well? The HD receiver I use at home was easily configured to receive SD, then reconfigured back to HD when I return home. In any event, the relative picture difference between HD and SD from less than 10 feet is negligible; furthermore, the very small 154BH I had could hardly accommodate something greater than a 22" TV. Additionally, I elected the 18" x 20" SD capable sat dish because it was quite a bit smaller than the Slimline - much easier to transport and store when not in use. Receipt of SD and HD is a function of what one's DirecTV receiver can receive and the dish capability even if DirecTV transmits only in HD. As may be discerned from my Signature, I live in Roseburg, Oregon. Sorry to refute your assertions Bassdog but: (1) some may not need HD and; (2) I researched my SD choice thoroughly before deciding SD was sufficient for me and believed (naively perhaps) the facts I gleaned and finally: (3) while I'm sure Bassdog's advice is altruistic, I adjure anyone interested to do their own research and not rely on any individual opinion.
JEFF1963 is offline  
Old 02-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Wireman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
Bassdog - if SD, et al, is toast why does mine work so well? The HD receiver I use at home was easily configured to receive SD, then reconfigured back to HD when I return home. In any event, the relative picture difference between HD and SD from less than 10 feet is negligible; furthermore, the very small 154BH I had could hardly accommodate something greater than a 22" TV. Additionally, I elected the 18" x 20" SD capable sat dish because it was quite a bit smaller than the Slimline - much easier to transport and store when not in use. Receipt of SD and HD is a function of what one's DirecTV receiver can receive and the dish capability even if DirecTV transmits only in HD. As may be discerned from my Signature, I live in Roseburg, Oregon. Sorry to refute your assertions Bassdog but: (1) some may not need HD and; (2) I researched my SD choice thoroughly before deciding SD was sufficient for me and believed (naively perhaps) the facts I gleaned and finally: (3) while I'm sure Bassdog's advice is altruistic, I adjure anyone interested to do their own research and not rely on any individual opinion.
Were you using the Genie HD DVR receiver at the time? I'm trying to figure out what portable dish to buy for the TT when I get Directv installed this Friday.
Wireman is offline  
Old 02-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dale Hollow Lake Tn/Ky
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
Bassdog - if SD, et al, is toast why does mine work so well? The HD receiver I use at home was easily configured to receive SD, then reconfigured back to HD when I return home. In any event, the relative picture difference between HD and SD from less than 10 feet is negligible; furthermore, the very small 154BH I had could hardly accommodate something greater than a 22" TV. Additionally, I elected the 18" x 20" SD capable sat dish because it was quite a bit smaller than the Slimline - much easier to transport and store when not in use. Receipt of SD and HD is a function of what one's DirecTV receiver can receive and the dish capability even if DirecTV transmits only in HD. As may be discerned from my Signature, I live in Roseburg, Oregon. Sorry to refute your assertions Bassdog but: (1) some may not need HD and; (2) I researched my SD choice thoroughly before deciding SD was sufficient for me and believed (naively perhaps) the facts I gleaned and finally: (3) while I'm sure Bassdog's advice is altruistic, I adjure anyone interested to do their own research and not rely on any individual opinion.
If you're happy with SD in your RV, then you are good to go with Direct's offering of portable equipment. As for the "toast" reference, the meaning is the value of the SD equipment the OP is offering has plummented to the level of a boat anchor. The boat anchor is probably worth more.

I understand your logic and with a smaller Tv it may be easier to settle with SD. If you can't detect the difference between HD and SD at any distance, then you should be fine going the SD route. HD receivers receive both hd and sd signals so that's not the issue here. Call me spoiled but after upgrading to HD a few years ago, I wasn't happy limiting myself to SD anywhere or any time. If you are interested in SD antanees, check the dumpsters in your area. They are harder to find now since most were trashed 5 years ago. I found 2 direct SD dishes and 3 Dish SD dishes in my barn last fall and they went to the recycling center with a bunch of other outdated and worthless things that seem to collect in a barn.
Bassdogs is offline  
Old 08-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Owensboro, KY
Posts: 242
JEFF1963: Is your DirecTV dish still for sale or did it end up in the dumpster as Bassdogs predicted?
__________________
2015 Jayco 27DSRL (Sold and shopping for new 5er)
2016 Little Guy CIRRUS 800 Truck Camper
2015 GMC SLT 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SRW
KYCAMPER is offline  
Old 08-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Posts: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Keep your eyes open for a Slimline DirecTV Dish at a home or rental propertly. DirecTV still says if you move "take your receiver and leave the dish". When a new owner/renter moves in DirecTV always installs a new antenna. That "old antenna" is available for the taking if you ask the home owner, etc. I use a Slimline and a tripod from Satellite TV for RV - Tripod - Slimline - Dish - DirectTV - RV television - Recreational Vehicles - RVers - DishTV - Satellite Dish - FTA - Tripod and it has worked great for over six years, but I was getting concerned about my dish. It has been up and down so many times I felt I needed a spare. Not to carry around with me all the time, but just to have it needed. About the time I started thinking about this my neighbor at my home base moved. His virtually brand new Slimline dish is now in my home base garage ready when needed.

The tripod I use is a bit pricey, but worth it in my book.
X2 I have several spares I have collected and the tv4rv tripod is expensive but darn well worth it with the large slimline dish. I don't leave home without it! Each to their own. I would not think of watching SD anymore.
__________________

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline  
Old 09-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
JohnWedell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: New York & Florida
Posts: 1,019
I Shy away from Directv HD because they say you need a $600.00 meter to set it up and even then it is difficult, nor do I want to spend about $2000.00 for the traveler installed. For those of you that have a portable slimline dish and set it up when you travel, is it really that hard to set up.
__________________
2022 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, 50 Gal Gas, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
Dish Hopper With 2 Joeys & Birdog Meter, 2-2K Champion Generators
JohnWedell is offline  
Old 09-21-2017, 07:05 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
edatlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville - Home Base
Posts: 3,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
I Shy away from Directv HD because they say you need a $600.00 meter to set it up and even then it is difficult, nor do I want to spend about $2000.00 for the traveler installed. For those of you that have a portable slimline dish and set it up when you travel, is it really that hard to set up.
No, it is not hard to set up and you don't need any meter. Your DirecTV receiver has a signal strength meter and all you need to use it by yourself is an inexpensive wireless baby monitor. The big secret to setting up any satellite system is a good stable mount. I use a heavy duty tripod from TV4RV.com and have had it in continuous service for the past 7 years. Set it up, make sure it is level on all directions so your mount shaft will be perfectly vertical. If your mount shaft is perfectly vertical aiming is a piece of cake.

Aim the baby monitor camera to the TV screen and take the remote outside with you. Done and no meter required.
__________________
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline  
Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dale Hollow Lake Tn/Ky
Posts: 2,525
Surprised to see that this thread is still active. Happened to notice a couple of SD Dish receivers on a shelf in my workroom. Stuck them up there many years ago and forgot about them. They are going to the dumpster later in the week. One has never been out of the box. WORTHLESS!! Already HD has been upgraded to UHD and enhancements seem to come as fast as the latest IPhone.

My love / hate relationship with Dish continues with another 2 year commitment earlier this summer. They tried to slip in a mtly fee increase etc and I called and told them to send the return boxes because I was done. The rate increase and the hidden new charge for local channels went away and I was given the current promo rate. As I think I mentioned I currently use a Pathway auto mobile unit to connect my sat equipment in the rv. It gets me everything available in HD and SD and connects itself in just a few minutes while I finish setting up the campsite. Direct only offers HD thru its fixed or tripod mounted dish type antentees. There portable units are SD but just as expensive than the HD units that work on Dish.

SD is like black and white. If it works for you then go for Direct. If you have moved long ago into the "color" world, then move to Dish and get HD.
Bassdogs is offline  
Old 09-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
RoyBraddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: King George
Posts: 2,761
I guess I am saving something here that won't work anymore hehe... I haven't used this in awhile but when I did use it worked just fine but would only pick a single SD SAT TV CHANNEL signal... I think you are suppose to be able to pick up two SAT CHANNELS signals at the same time to be able to get HIGH DEF TV?????



This worked out great for me as I would position it on top of my Truck Bed hard folding bed cover and hold in place with stretch rope. Then if I had to use the truck and leave the camp ground I would have to disconnect the SAT DISH and put it away keeping it safe from thief...

I am pretty sure I have used this portable SAT TV dish on DIRECTV within the last few years after the NATL BROADCAST changed over to DIGITAL MODE... This DISH picked up a single channel just fine for STANDARD SAT TV MODE then... Mine has two SAT TV ports on it and I would run two 100 foot RG cables to each my my two SAT RCVRS in the POPUP trailer That I brought along from the house. I used the VIDEO OUT cables to the my living room and bed room TV sets so that each Trailer TV's could watch separate channels at the same time... My popup trailer only has one TV set so I would bring along a second TV to use outside when we were sitting around the patio...

Think I will pull it out again here at the house and see if I can still see STANDARD MODE SAT TV on it... I am thinking it will still work just fine but only on Standard Mode reception...

From what is being said above it sounds like the SAT TV setup maybe doesn't do STANDARD SAT TV mode now???

I just haven't looked up what is required to watch High Def TV for SAT TV...

When the NATL BROADCAST network changed over to Digital TV Channels I stopped usig the SAT TV item. I can get a much better TV Signal from the local towns using my OTA BATWING antenna.

Roy Ken
__________________
Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 05:38 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
edatlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maplesville - Home Base
Posts: 3,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Surprised to see that this thread is still active. Happened to notice a couple of SD Dish receivers on a shelf in my workroom. Stuck them up there many years ago and forgot about them. They are going to the dumpster later in the week. One has never been out of the box. WORTHLESS!! Already HD has been upgraded to UHD and enhancements seem to come as fast as the latest IPhone.

My love / hate relationship with Dish continues with another 2 year commitment earlier this summer. They tried to slip in a mtly fee increase etc and I called and told them to send the return boxes because I was done. The rate increase and the hidden new charge for local channels went away and I was given the current promo rate. As I think I mentioned I currently use a Pathway auto mobile unit to connect my sat equipment in the rv. It gets me everything available in HD and SD and connects itself in just a few minutes while I finish setting up the campsite. Direct only offers HD thru its fixed or tripod mounted dish type antentees. There portable units are SD but just as expensive than the HD units that work on Dish.

SD is like black and white. If it works for you then go for Direct. If you have moved long ago into the "color" world, then move to Dish and get HD.
This has worked for me on DirecTV for the past 7 years and I do get HD. Setting up for me is quick and easy. Like most things after you do it a few times it is easy. The only thing that is different today vs this picture is the concrete block finally finished breaking. How I use a 5 gallon bucket that I fill with water. Heavier than the block and lighter to haul around.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0253.jpg  
__________________
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 06:58 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dale Hollow Lake Tn/Ky
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
This has worked for me on DirecTV for the past 7 years and I do get HD. Setting up for me is quick and easy. Like most things after you do it a few times it is easy. The only thing that is different today vs this picture is the concrete block finally finished breaking. How I use a 5 gallon bucket that I fill with water. Heavier than the block and lighter to haul around.
And you have a slimline dish that is required for HD on direct. What the OP had was the old single lnb round dish that is only SD. As for mobile HD with Direct tv, you can only get SD with their expensive portable auto antanee. LIke you, I used a tripod mounted HD antanee for Dish satalite for a number of years and still use it if I am going to stay at a location for more than 3 or 4 days. I bit the bullet and bought a Pathway2x 2 years ago I guess when I got lazy. They work great and take all the fuss out of tuning in a sat signal. Direct has similar units at similar $$'s but the direct mobiles are SD only.
Bassdogs is offline  
Old 09-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: WV
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I guess I am saving something here that won't work anymore hehe... I haven't used this in awhile but when I did use it worked just fine but would only pick a single SD SAT TV CHANNEL signal... I think you are suppose to be able to pick up two SAT CHANNELS signals at the same time to be able to get HIGH DEF TV?????



This worked out great for me as I would position it on top of my Truck Bed hard folding bed cover and hold in place with stretch rope. Then if I had to use the truck and leave the camp ground I would have to disconnect the SAT DISH and put it away keeping it safe from thief...

I am pretty sure I have used this portable SAT TV dish on DIRECTV within the last few years after the NATL BROADCAST changed over to DIGITAL MODE... This DISH picked up a single channel just fine for STANDARD SAT TV MODE then... Mine has two SAT TV ports on it and I would run two 100 foot RG cables to each my my two SAT RCVRS in the POPUP trailer That I brought along from the house. I used the VIDEO OUT cables to the my living room and bed room TV sets so that each Trailer TV's could watch separate channels at the same time... My popup trailer only has one TV set so I would bring along a second TV to use outside when we were sitting around the patio...

Think I will pull it out again here at the house and see if I can still see STANDARD MODE SAT TV on it... I am thinking it will still work just fine but only on Standard Mode reception...

From what is being said above it sounds like the SAT TV setup maybe doesn't do STANDARD SAT TV mode now???

I just haven't looked up what is required to watch High Def TV for SAT TV...

When the NATL BROADCAST network changed over to Digital TV Channels I stopped usig the SAT TV item. I can get a much better TV Signal from the local towns using my OTA BATWING antenna.

Roy Ken


We are still using this same dish and it works great, we point it at the Directv 101 satellite. We don't have HD and we're fine with that, it's just TV. Winegard does not make this dish any more, if you want to get rid if it let me know. The hardware on ours is getting worn and a bit rusty, could use a new one...
__________________
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L 4.10 Gears
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
wallacemf is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.