Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2022, 12:11 PM   #1

16 inch tire upgrade

I go through this every year trying to figure out how to get my trailer level with my truck. Even spent the winter researching and trying to figure out a way to buy a different truck without a lot of expense but they all seemed to have similar bed heights to what I have. All other changes have been made to kingpin, axles and lowest hole in the supports, etc but I am still nose high, too much so.
The next step would be to invest in 5 new 16 inch wheels and tires. I have 15 inch now. I am wondering if it is worth the expense, over $1000, for the 1.25 to 1.70 inch gain I might get. The 1.25 inch gain would be for a little smaller profile tire (80R16 vs 85R16) but allow for a little more clearance and ability to use X chocks.
Thoughts?
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
BLTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 12:29 PM   #2

Make sure to budget a new set of stairs also, or a least review current height and see if it’s needed.

We have 16” and we need to add an extra step stool for my DW to comfortably get in and out of the rig. Replacement stairs are very expensive in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTravels View Post
I go through this every year trying to figure out how to get my trailer level with my truck. Even spent the winter researching and trying to figure out a way to buy a different truck without a lot of expense but they all seemed to have similar bed heights to what I have. All other changes have been made to kingpin, axles and lowest hole in the supports, etc but I am still nose high, too much so.
The next step would be to invest in 5 new 16 inch wheels and tires. I have 15 inch now. I am wondering if it is worth the expense, over $1000, for the 1.25 to 1.70 inch gain I might get. The 1.25 inch gain would be for a little smaller profile tire (80R16 vs 85R16) but allow for a little more clearance and ability to use X chocks.
Thoughts?
We bought our 2019 28.5 with 16'' tires. We can still use x chocks most of the time, every now and then the tires are too close together.
But we still aren't anywhere near level. I believe the newer models have a space above the shackles to get a little more height, and they redesigned the front of the trailer to squeeze a little more height.
Before you get new tires, I would look into getting the trailer axles lowered and braced. Those 16's seem to stress out the axles a lot.

The first big three truck company that offers a low side rail option is going to clean up.
Old 04-15-2022, 01:18 PM   #4

Some people flip their axles to be beneath the leaf springs which gives several inches more 5th wheel height. Is your 5er axles above or below the springs? If above then this is an option you should consider. ~CA
Old 04-15-2022, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Some people flip their axles to be beneath the leaf springs which gives several inches more 5th wheel height. Is your 5er axles above or below the springs? If above then this is an option you should consider. ~CA
That's an option. I've done two trailers, and worked well. Be aware you are not actually flipping an axle, I don't know why why it's called flipping axles. Rv axles are bowed in an arc, that's not going to change, only the spring mounting. You are going from underslung to overslung. If your springs are already mounted above the axle, this isn't going to work. It's been years ago, but dexter sold an inexpensive kit for doing this. Maybe still do, I haven't checked. You can gain somewhere around 3"s. Just be aware the COG will change slightly also. Axle ground clearance will not change.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 02:02 PM   #6

Yes my springs are already above my axles. Thanks.
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
Old 04-15-2022, 02:12 PM   #7

Just throwing thoughts out there, if you wanted to share a picture of your setup that may help with other ideas. I am not sure I would spend the money for wheels and tires for 1.25" lift, especially if you don't need to replace the tires at this time, there are other size x-chocks that may work for your setup.

My other thought, but in consideration of the higher cog I am not sure I would recommend this, but you could purchase spacer blocks which I have seen anywhere from 1" to just over 3" that goes between the axle and leaf spring. I am not necessarily recommending this one but for example purposes. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...71-725-02.html

or perhaps

https://www.trailerblocks.com/collec...00lb-axle-kits

~CA
Old 04-15-2022, 03:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav;1042000

My other thought, but in consideration of the higher cog I am not sure I would recommend this, but you could purchase spacer blocks

[url
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Dexter/K71-725-02.html[/url]

~CA
Isn't your first suggestion for torsion suspension? Looks like it.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 04-15-2022, 03:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
Isn't your first suggestion for torsion suspension? Looks like it.
Maybe, I didn't really look at it carefully as I wasn't really recommending it in particular, just sharing thoughts and an example or two. For sure if anyone went down this road it would be important to purchase the correct width, height, u-bolts, etc. and make sure that whatever was purchased would work for their truck and trailer's requirements. ~CA
Old 04-15-2022, 04:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Maybe, I didn't really look at it carefully as I wasn't really recommending it in particular, just sharing thoughts and an example or two. For sure if anyone went down this road it would be important to purchase the correct width, height, u-bolts, etc. and make sure that whatever was purchased would work for their truck and trailer's requirements. ~CA
Absolutely. Reading my posts back, it seems like I'm coming across brash or rude, and it's not meant to be that way. I talk better person to person, than on a forum. Maybe I'll get it right sometime.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Old 04-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
Absolutely. Reading my posts back, it seems like I'm coming across brash or rude, and it's not meant to be that way. I talk better person to person, than on a forum. Maybe I'll get it right sometime.
I agree that at times what someone writes can come across in a negative manner that was not intended by the person who wrote it. However, there isn't anything you wrote that I even considered to be brash or rude at all. Perhaps it was that way I wrote my response that made you feel that way? lol It is all good for sure. Thanks for caring, I suspect most of those who intentionally come across in a negative manner don't really care, but most all RV'rs I have ever met are very good and caring people for sure. ~CA
Old 04-15-2022, 05:38 PM   #12

There probably is not a perfect solution besides getting a lower truck. Anything that raises the trailer puts more stress on the suspension.

Just so you know, one of our 16" wheels has hit the bottom of the slide out before. Not real hard, and no real damage, but you could see the marks underneath.

I still vote for taking it to a good trailer shop and getting an estimate on having it lifted with taller springs and spacers, then cross-bracing to minimize axle twist.

Or just live with it and try not to look at the rig from the side when it's parked at the gas station. That's what we do.
Old 04-16-2022, 09:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
There probably is not a perfect solution besides getting a lower truck. Anything that raises the trailer puts more stress on the suspension.

Just so you know, one of our 16" wheels has hit the bottom of the slide out before. Not real hard, and no real damage, but you could see the marks underneath.

I still vote for taking it to a good trailer shop and getting an estimate on having it lifted with taller springs and spacers, then cross-bracing to minimize axle twist.

Or just live with it and try not to look at the rig from the side when it's parked at the gas station. That's what we do.
I know what you mean about not looking at it, LOL. I have checked the weights at the scales and monitor the heat through the TPMS and have not seen any adverse numbers so I feel pretty good about it other than the clearance in the back, both bed rails and rear FW bumper, and wanting to stop overnight without unhooking.
So are you saying you have the 16 inch tires and still are out of level? What year F250?
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
Old 04-16-2022, 09:41 AM   #14

I have done a lot of research on raising it through blocks of one sort or the other including welding a 6 foot section right to the existing frame. Lots of info out there on the subject. But I also found quite a bit negative comments on what it does to the stability of the trailer especially around corners and high winds. There were enough negative comments about from both owners and suspension pros that make me shy away from it.
I do see our HT FWs go down the road pretty level usually with an older GM products. I assume it is older by just looking at them as they are usually going in the opposite direction.
When I measure the height of tailgate openings of late models, even with leaf springs, I find them very close to my coil spring setup.
Ideal from purely a summer towing perspective would be a 2 wheel drive with positive traction/limited slip differential. I think it would probably work well. Hard to find used in the upper midwest.
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
Old 04-16-2022, 10:05 AM   #15

I have 16 inch tires on 2020 295BHDS. Lowered hitch in bed to lowest spot and it still nose high. Had dealer put leaf springs in lower hole(shoulda been done at factory), it still wont ride level. I agree woth Jayco decision to put 2 inch spacer between hangers and frame to lift entire coach up. Mine ahould have been done. IMO if done corrrectly by frame place, it will not increase any side loading to coach. Even if it did, it would be easy enough to weld brace to connect the spacing tubes to prevent any issues. We still considering having that suspension lifted at end of season. Hard to find quality shop to do that kind of work. Using lower holes does make wheels closer together, but that a tually helps when turning.
DBuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:51 PM   #16

Just picked up my 2022 Eagle HT 29.5....Truck is 2500 Ram Mega Cab short bed with a pullrite auto slider. I spent countless hours researching, measuring, worrying about bed clearance, worrying about being level and on and on.

End of the day, 5ver sat level on truck and close to 9 inches of bed clearance. Auto slider worked exactly how I need it to. If I was to upgrade tires or wheels, it would be for ride quality and weight. I do not believe there is a one size fits all solution....
Frosty42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 09:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty42 View Post
Just picked up my 2022 Eagle HT 29.5....Truck is 2500 Ram Mega Cab short bed with a pullrite auto slider. I spent countless hours researching, measuring, worrying about bed clearance, worrying about being level and on and on.

End of the day, 5ver sat level on truck and close to 9 inches of bed clearance. Auto slider worked exactly how I need it to. If I was to upgrade tires or wheels, it would be for ride quality and weight. I do not believe there is a one size fits all solution....
Nice.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:59 AM   #18

Could add these to keep the tires from rubbing the underside.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...tl/SS26MV.html
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:32 AM   #19

With our old fiver I was a little nose high and so I changed the spring shackles on the truck (lowered it) which in turn lowered the nose of the fiver. I had plenty of "rake" with the truck bed so it worked out the truck was level as well when hooked up.
Incampnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty42 View Post
Just picked up my 2022 Eagle HT 29.5....Truck is 2500 Ram Mega Cab short bed with a pullrite auto slider. I spent coun tless hours researching, measuring, worrying about bed clearance, worrying about being level and on and on.

I am glad it worked for you. I am pretty anal but did all my research on weights and size but being my first FW never thought about riding level or that my Ram has coil springs lifting the rear up so high. Learned the hard way as I have found many of the HT owners have with newer higher trucks.
Maybe Jayco did something to compensate for the difference in 2022 since it has been a real problem for so many. 9 inches is great under any kind of setup. Probably exceeds most.
What year truck?
What kind of suspension?
What size tires? (I also have 20 inch tires which adds to my issue)
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi

Tags
16", level, lift, tires, wheels