Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2019, 10:27 AM   #1

Cleaning black holding tank

We have been RVing many years, I have many many times run hose and wand down toilet to help clean black tank as I don’t trust the spray connection to adequately clean. Is there any reason I shouldn’t be doing this? It seems to get it so much cleaner.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
We have been RVing many years, I have many many times run hose and wand down toilet to help clean black tank as I don’t trust the spray connection to adequately clean. Is there any reason I shouldn’t be doing this? It seems to get it so much cleaner.
What you can't see makes you wonder! I would like to see the spray assembly that they incorporate into the black tank........does it spray down all four sides? Anyone have a picture of what it looks like and how effective it actually is?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #3

In a way I am lucky because my tank is directly below the toilet and almost centered.

With that in mind I can use a flashlight and a tilting mirror from a car repair store to see what is in the there when I wand it down.

I wonder if your helper could turn on the flush while you watch from above. ( I start from a clean and empty tank so you don't get splashed )

Ps please post your rv and tow info to get best replies on questions.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #4

Just curious why you want it to be so clean? Are you converting it to a dining room table, or will you still poop in it tomorrow?

I drain my black tank when its full. If I have time or a full hookup site, I will usually flush it for a minute or two. I don't get bent out of shape about it, its a sewage holding tank, not a food prep area. If your vent is properly installed and you are draining it correctly, you shouldn't have any odor issues. What is the point in getting it "so much cleaner"?
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #5

Yeah, it's a crap shoot. (sorry)

After we dump the black (with the flush running) we close the valve with the flush still running and wait 5 min. (we know we can go 7 min but don't push it). Then we pull the valve to dump again and see lots of flotsam and jetsom still fly by. Then we do it again. By then the water is clear and only occasionally to we see a bit of TP fly by.

Seems to work with no drama.

Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Yeah, it's a crap shoot. (sorry)

After we dump the black (with the flush running) we close the valve with the flush still running and wait 5 min. (we know we can go 7 min but don't push it). Then we pull the valve to dump again and see lots of flotsam and jetsom still fly by. Then we do it again. By then the water is clear and only occasionally to we see a bit of TP fly by.

Seems to work with no drama.

Angus
Same here.

One reason to keep the tank as "clean as possible" is so the sensors have a chance to read correctly. I don't trust them, so I personally don't care that much. I use the above flush method and have done just fine with my black tank so far...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #7

Thank you all. My thoughts have been confirmed. We now have a 2016 North Point 321RLTS 40’ 5th wheel. Almost 3 years old and are on our 27th trip.No sewer smell issues and I credit it to keeping a black tank cleaned. I will continue to clean from above every 2 or 3rd trips, unless if will be stored for a few months, then will definitely clean from above.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #8

Is the drain pipe for the black tank on the side or the bottom? If it were on the bottom middle it would surely drain better.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
This is what we do, also. Every time we're at a full hook-up site. If we're not, it gets flushed the same way at home. It does keep our sensors working perfectly, even after seven years.

My BIL swore by the black water flush hookup on their new TT, and started having troubles at two years. We were camping together last fall, and he was getting a really bad smell inside. He dumped, and hooked up his in-tank flusher, and let it run for a good amount of time, and was sure it was clean. I then used our wand while he watched the clear hose fitting, and it gave him quite a surprise on what was coming out. The smell problem was gone.

Maybe I'm a little anal about it, but it's just what we do.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #10

Time to tell on myself.

First off, we have owned trailers since 1983 so no Newby here. I have always gone by the "3/4 Full Rule" when it comes to the black water tank. Our White Hawk does not have a reverse flush to douche out the black water tank from the outside. (Thanks Jayco for saving me $25.00)

That said, last year, we went on a trip to Alabama, where we were camped in a state park for a week. Upon leaving and heading home the first night, we stayed in a full hook-up private park. The toilet was full as could be seen when flushing. Once set up, I connected the sewer hose and pulled the valve open. Hmmmm... no noise, what the h3!!. As it was close to dinner time, and we were eating out that night, I decided to mucky with the situation after dinner. The gentleman in the RV next door asked what the problem was and after I told him, he wondered if the maybe the valve handle broke not allowing the valve to open. At dinner, I Googled that and the fix isn't real pretty. Being a direct descendant of the "Murphy's Law" Murphy, I expected the worst.

Getting back from dinner, I bravely (stupidly?) decided to opened the valve with no sewer hose connected. I pull the gate valve handle and... ...nothing! At least nothing disgusting. Looked up the poop pipe with a flashlight and could see the valve had opened. But nothing came out, not so much as even a drop of water. The toilet was still full, though.

So, I got out the flex wand, and pushed it into the toilet and could feel is s-l-o-w-l-y going into the tank with some resistance. Yes, it seems the poop pyramid had been growing for a long time and became the Grand Poopee Dam! (I am from Washington State, btw).

As the wand pushed it's way through the darkness toward where there should be light at the end of, the dam broke, so to speak and the tank evacuated, finally (hose connected). I filled the tank several more times to try to get as much of the dam remnants out that I could. After returning home, I found a product that one uses in a poop tank full of water and left for at least 24 hours to disintegrate any solids in the tank. That and a 60 mile ride to the Rest Area dump station seems to have worked.

So hammerhead, in my experienced humble opinion, what you are doing is correct!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #11
Site Team

"Grand Poopee Dam!"

Murph, you should write a book! I've been laughing at this for 10 minutes! I believe you've penned a new phrase for the RV manual.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 AM   #12

Note to self: Do not read this thread while eating.

Dave

2018 Ford F350 6.7 SRW
2018 Jayco North Point 315RLTS
dkegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #13

After 26 years of RV ownership I finally experience the mythical poop pyramid last month. The factory black tank flush nozzle was evidently plugged and I flooded the front pass through with fresh water. I’m back to the wand flush and will never trust the factory one again.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #14

I just got a wand myself. I’ve always used the built in flush and utilized the closed valve, let her fill, then unleash the poop wave method. I’ll do this a few times if time allows. Still, I wanted to give her a good rinsing and those wands are crazy powerful. I didn’t get much more than a few chunks at all using the wand after a normal tank dump. I think me keeping plenty of water inside the tank, using tank digester/packets, and flushing every single time I’ve left a campground has been helpful. I don’t think I’ll do the wand every time but it will become a yearly maintenance point.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #15

Which is the "wand of choice"?
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 07-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #16

One problem the built-in flush has created, is longer lines at the dump-station.

I find since this is now a standard feature, people take a good 15 minutes (some much longer) to dump their tanks.

The tanks don't need to be spotless....maybe if it's the end of the season and your putting it into storage for 6 months, but otherwise, dump it, rinse it and move on.

It's frustrating to see how long people doddle at the dump station. I know I'm on vacation, but I don't like hanging out in the dump line.

For my trailer

1. Pull up, dump the black
2. While the black is dumping, hook up the tank rinse hose
3. Close the black, open grey tank 1 and turn on water to black tank rinse.
4. Turn off tank rinse, close grey 1, open black.
5. Close black, open grey 2.
6. Clean up hose for black tank rinse.
7. Close grey 2.
8. Clean hose, put away, throw out disposable gloves and drive away.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:50 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Which is the "wand of choice"?
This is our favorite, as the tank is a straight shot down from the toilet. I did drill three more holes in the end piece, so I don't have to twist it 360* to rinse all sides. I just turn it 90* back and forth.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40103-H...60054242&psc=1

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 07-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #18

All will work but this is the one that broke the "Grand Poopee Damn":

https://www.amazon.com/Sewage-Holdin...ustomerReviews

The flex portion was able to puash through and make a few turns in the tank.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
All will work but this is the one that broke the "Grand Poopee Damn":

https://www.amazon.com/Sewage-Holdin...ustomerReviews

The flex portion was able to puash through and make a few turns in the tank.

Murff
That’s the one I just received. It puts out a crazy amount of pressure and that 360 degree spinner on the end seems like it would cover all the corners.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #20

I use the built in tank flushers. No problems. I flush until clear or at least grey.